This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b aliis repar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkiheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: b aliis repar
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
What is the best way to fix a stripped out bolt hole that holds the draw bar on a b allis? Is there room inside the case of the final drive to run a 9/16 stud all the way through and put a nut on it inside the case. Or will a heilly coil work. Or do I have to dill and tap it to the next size up , and that entails drilling the drawbar and that is pretty hard steel.  
Sponsored Links

AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:00am
Just go to the next size up. Been there done that... sucks but there are harder ways.
Can't fix stupid
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:53pm
A carbide masonry drill should cut the hard steel drawbar.

Gerald J.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:02pm
Try the helicoil first. Nothing to loose... The drawbar lick does all the work, the bolt just holds it all in place. No need to go crazy with it right away...

Besides, it's still winter.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:23pm
I have drilled out the stripped 5/8 inch hole, rethreaded to 7/8 and Loctite in a thread insert with a 7/8 OD and 5/8 thread ID.  Not a helicoil, a real threaded insert. You don't have to worry about drilling thru to the inside of the case. There is only heavy gear lube inside. You can put thread dope on the bolt when you reinstall.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:25pm
Yeah, those EZ locks are the cat's meow.  Much better than a heli-coil, and you can loc-tight the EZ lock in, and use never seize, on the bolt, if you want to...Thumbs Up
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
I was going to "chime in" with some advice on my favorite.  However, when I read the other responses I would suggest you listen to them very carefully.  It looks like they have thoroughly covered the situation.  You do not have to overtighten the bolt.  Be certain you have a good lock washer on it so it will not come loose. 
Just remember, as said above, the the Stud only holds the bracket in place and allows the drawbar to be adjusted up or down.  The dowel does the actual work of holding the drawbar in place and taking the burden of the pull.
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:27pm
I switch the finals. While I am at it I replace the seals in the transmission. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic