This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back onto the HD5G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back onto the HD5G
    Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm
After two years ago that we started the project. Was supposed to be a simple steering clutches project, and got a little more in depth than that. Probably didn't get into it nearly as far as we should have, even yet, but it's going to go back together and hope for the best. Desperately need this little devil for some corral cleaning. I hope to some day find a newer track loader that I can use without doing a butt load of work to it, and then tear this one down for a full on restoration. I think these 5's are neat little buggers. Darrel
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:06pm
Good Luck
Tom
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
Keep hanging in there Barrel.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:34pm
Oops Darrel. Didn't aim to reveal you figure. Sorry about that. LOL
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:59pm
I spent a lot of time sitting beside my dad on his hd5 as he loaded gravel trucks. It was the late 60's, I was a little kid. I can still remember that engine sound, and the sound of the tracks. That was 'daycare' in those days! Post some pics Darrel. Trev.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:53pm
LMAO@Leon....i should have sold you my HD5 diesel I had! was the track/loader
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 2:34am
Awe, come on Leon. I've lost about 25 lbs over the last couple months.
Ya, Shameless. You should have sold me yours.
I do desperately hope to have this thing operating ASAP. Probably stupid of me to have the payloader sitting broke down, and be working on this. But I think that this thing is the better option to clean out corrals with, because of it being smaller, and able to turn tighter. Sure could use some expertise help on it though. ......Coke, you busy. ...? Lol.
TREVMAN, my uncle has a similar story, and is busting at the seams for me to get this thing done, so he can come operate it, and bring back some childhood memories. I'll try to send\post some pictures of it after its out of the shop. If I take pictures now, y'all will see my messy shop in the background, and then ole Shameless will start in on me. Lol Darrel
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:31am
You know Shameless I had thought about buying one when I retired and do the small jobs here in the county while I was still in reasonable shape. There's always a little pond here and there that people want cleaned out and the HD5 is perfect for it and you can give the people a good price and still make a buck. If a person doesn't go ahead and do it they'll always regret it. And hey Darrel, congrats on losing the weight. Wish I had the grit you do. I just can't seem to push back when there's still something left on the table, and I really need to. Also probably carrying 30# of fluid most of the time that my kidneys don't take care of for me. Bummer.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:10am
Seems I need to replace or repair front seal on the transmission on my HD5G and then do some work on my 715B TLB - yet it seems my need for my own shop is 2nd on list of boys . One has his 4th dump truck in bay fitting it for a new box and for installing another axle under frame - 
 Other side of shop is taken up with other sons projects for Connoco Phillips  Alaska project - the road marker installation machine 
  Hmm road trip to ND - would be ESCAPE 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:29am
ya'll could do Joe's vinegar diet! I thunks he learnt it from Doc Oz!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Seems I need to replace or repair front seal on the transmission on my HD5G and then do some work on my 715B TLB - yet it seems my need for my own shop is 2nd on list of boys . One has his 4th dump truck in bay fitting it for a new box and for installing another axle under frame - 
 Other side of shop is taken up with other sons projects for Connoco Phillips  Alaska project - the road marker installation machine 
  Hmm road trip to ND - would be ESCAPE 

If you want to work on an HD5B, you can come help me. Need to put the engine back together and install it.
Plus it's closer than ND!
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:03pm
Coke, I'm going to let you off the hook on this one. I think I've got it under control now, and I really wouldn't want to make you work in my cold, messy building. No heat in there = not much fun. Come summer time, though, if you get a hankerin to take a road trip, come on out. Thanks, Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:07am
yeah...Coke....but leave yer blade on yer truck if you go....can help Darrell clean out his building! (poke,poke)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:06am
One of these days, that poker is going to get you in trouble. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
I puts paperback books in my back pockets....just in case! lol
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:50am
Shameless, I don't think Darrel's Prairie dog poker is goin to stop to read some paperbacks....
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:08pm
That sweet (?) apple vinegar is good stuff for you. It helps clean out your pipes. Joe what is this special recipe Shameless is talking about? I'd be willing to try it if you think it would help.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:35pm
I should have run this SOB over a cliff! Before I made the decision to fix it, instead of knock it in the head, I had it running, and it would drive forward and backward just fine. No terrible knocks or noises coming from anywhere, gears all worked, loader functions were fine, and I figured it was worthy of a steering clutch/steering brake job. It even backed into the shop on its own. Just couldn't steer it. When we were taking out the brake drum and steering clutch bolts, we very easily rolled the whole machine forward and backward with my little 5215 deutz tractor. But for some reason, during the time that we were cutting out the one steering clutch assembly, because it was to rusted to come out any other way, that side (left side) decided to lock up. Inner bearing on the pinion shaft was all rusted up, and appeared to be the smoking gun. I put all new bearings in on the pinion shaft, and was getting ready today to drop clutch assemblies back in. Guess what.......it still won't move! With a big pipe, prying on the sprocket spokes, we can maybe get the sprocket to go 2 inches in each direction before it comes to a dead stop. It may just get hooked on to a big tractor and get broke to lead. Darrel
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Drop them pans on bottom of rear reduction case . 
 Funny the HD5G I picked up - guy said it was locked up engine - someone had plugged the case drain on blower housing - water had got in and froze - cracked blower lobe - engine locked.
 On other HD5B - broken axle as outboard bearing went bad or ran it into something real hard and spread truck frame to break axle .
 On another HD5G I have replaced the rear double row bearing in transmission as cage on balls busted all went to one side - throwing the ring and pinion out of alignment - locked up rear  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 5:18pm
I pulled that cover off bottom of final drive. Water and rust. Looks like either abort the mission or else re-bearing the intermediate shaft and final drive shaft yet too. Darrel
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 8:15pm
Man Darrel, you can't win for losing can you. Wish I could help you.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 11:26pm
uh....ahem....i'm sure that if them machines was parked INSIDE....there might be less problems down the road? (poke,poke,poke) lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:22am
to be truthful...I could dig or scrape things faster with the 7010 and Gnuse scoup than with my HD5 track loader. the HD5 was fun to operate, but was quite a bit slower doing things.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:35am
Anyone have an HD5 or 6 that they need steering clutches for. I have over 2,200 bucks sitting up there next to this machine in bi-metallic clutch plates, new separator plates, all new clutch springs, brand new brake bands, and that's not counting what I got into bearings. Probably 5 or 6 hundred in them. Both throw out bearings. They're big and spendy, plus all of the bearings and races on the pinion shaft (one side). Another option, if someone had a whole machine for sale cheap that just needed steering clutches, that might be an option for me. My engine (2-71 Detroit) is good also. I put both injectors in that also. I think that to go any farther on this thing would be throwing money out the window. The tracks would have been ok for me for quite a while, but they darn sure aren't good. One sprocket is good, other one is marginal. Someone has welded the track release housing mounts onto the rails. The boom lift cylinders have some issues. Most of the issues like that could have been a "use the machine, but fix em down the road", but now with the left final drive being locked up, and needing to be re-bearinged, it's just kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. I never will figure out how that thing moved on its own power without so much as a squeak coming out of that final drive, and then lock up like it did. Must have piled up a bearing when we were moving it back and forth in the shop. Even yesterday, when we were trying to get it to move by prying on the sprocket spokes with about an 8 foot pipe, it would go back and forth a few inches at first, but got so that now it won't budge either way. Go figure. Darrel
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:39am
The HD5 I am working on had a locked up track when I bought it. We lifted it up using 2 track loaders and drove the trailer underneath. We put boards under the dead track. When I pulled it quickly off the trailer it spun and hit sideways and nearly rolled over. Whatever had locked the track was now free. Maybe if you drop it about four feet everything will free up. Only kidding. You have my sympathy. Walk away from the project for a short while and come back. Best wishes
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
I feel the pain, been there myself. But, they aint making any new ones. Youve got a lot done already. Maybe leave it a day or two. Once you are done with the fixes needed to get it useful again you can work at the other things, and then you have a pretty nice little crawler. I know its easy for me to say... My WD chewed the oil pump gear off the cam. Turned into a full resto, it was the right move. It is a handy and handsome tractor and will outlast me. Hang in there, jmho, Trev.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:58pm
maybe go buy one of Coke's machines?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:41pm
Been trying to split the track. Book says find the master link and knock it out with a hammer and punch. Sure! Friend of mine said blow each end of the master link out with the torch. Been working at that, but that's quite a tedious project. Torch tip keeps plugging up. Ugh. Darrel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:04pm
My 7G pins took a twenty pound sledge and serious swinging to get moving.   Had a fixture of angle iron, plate and pipe welded to backside of track plate, drift pin(1 1/4" steel) sat in pipe and I took full swings at it. Broke the welds three times, hammer handle twice.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 10:16pm
Darrel, The book on the master pin is erroneous and why AC did that is disappointing.  But another friend of yours (that would be me) would say to blow out the ends with a torch and then drive it out. Yes it's hard on torch tips,with practice you can save your torch tip. Yes you have to buy another master pin. Yes master pins have gotten expensive, and becoming harder to find.  We started doing that 30 years ago when we could buy a master pin for less than 20 bucks. We
 have a 100 ton ram and have been going to build a track pin press. Truth be known, this 11 restoration I blew the pins out and am now looking for master pins. Have 1 and no idea where the next one is. Yes we our fortunate to have some old rails that we didn't scrap that we can retrieve some regular pins (cut them out of the rail links) and grind them down to fit. The restored tractor will probably never be moved enough to have a pin fall out. I also have found torch tips on ebay that allowed me to waste one with a track pin extraction. Any way yes that is the fastest way to get a master pin out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic