[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lithium ion batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lithium ion batteries
    Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
I have an 18 volt cordless grease gun, that I really like, actually makes greasing fun. Brand name is alemite. Any way, the batteries are lithium ions, and I know they say they are a little tempermental about temperature. I left em in an in-heated building over winter, and now neither battery will work. Put them in the charger, and it indicates that they are fully charged, but neither one will work. Are they really that sensitive to cold? Is there any fix to em, because they ain't cheap. Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:20pm
Yep, once froze hard is all it takes...
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 7:09pm
yep.....you messed up.....AGAIN!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:08pm
Naw, Shameless. This is the first time I ever messed up. Darrel
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:22pm
Short answer yes the tool battery is junk. Longer answer probably one actual battery in the set is junk but the way they built the packs when one fails the entire thing is junk. Bad design of the circuit board in the battery which is suppose to ballance the batteries in the pack. This is why people can collect these packs and take them apart and build packs for other purposes. If you do a Internet search on 18650 cells you will find more videos then you would ever want. But you can't get them out of the case without destroying it so there is no saving them. I have been trying to decide if it is worth collecting them or not for a project.   I bet you can sell the junk ones on ebay for about 20 bucks a peice maybe 10 bucks but that balpark.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:26pm

Hey Darrel,,,,was I you,,,,,,I'd send the culprit of all thet snow what caused thet buildin to be so cold that them high priced batteries went belly up,,,,whew,,,
  Yep,,I'd send him an invoice for the replacement costs PLUS an extry battery for pain and sufferin,,,,,,Clap,,,and,,,maybe even a mechanic's lien on thet blamed machine,,,,,,WinkWink
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:28pm
The lien wouldn't help cause he won't ever be selling it anyway.. lol
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:58pm
They go and sophisticise them batteries to work better than the old batteries but, they can't make em to take the cold??? gotta keep them batteries coddled and warm all the time a?Maybe they should work on makin them to with-stand 50below and still give a full charge worth of work..... wonder how the boys at the south pole keep their flashlights and battery operated power tools working down there...?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:38am
ever hear the explosion they make ina burn barrel?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:06am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

ever hear the explosion they make ina burn barrel?

hmmmmm, I may enjoy that. Lol Darrel
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:26am
Warning on those batteries you are talking about something which will burn at about 2000 F. There is a nova show about batteries that covered batteries and they show lab testing of breaking the lithium ion cells you could seriously get hurt by them.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/super-battery.html
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:41am
I saw the Nova show dan73 said and I'm still wondering HOW you guys sent men to the Moon but you can't build a silly battery? Actually the 'problem' is trying to get dang computers(fones too..) to do a million things for hours and hours.Then again...I've got a 35 year old laptop,runs on 4 AA alkaline batteries for weeks so I KNOW it can be done.

sigh

Jay

4 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:38am
Darrel I go against the grain and disagree with anyone who says that cold will kill them. A year ago at Christmas the wife bought me a new Milwaukee drill/driver and four batteries. I took two of them and stuck them in the freezer. I pulled them out one year later and they still showed a half charge as the Milwaukee batteries have the little display that tells you if they are charged or not. Anywho I charged them and have been using them for the last two months and they are fine as fine can be.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:00am
Stan, what would have killed my batteries then. .? Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:33am
Are you sure they are dead? Did you measure them with a voltmeter? Are they totally dead? Any chance it's really the grease gun is 'busted'? Maybe the charger is 'funny'?
Have to ask cause having two batteries go 'kaput' would be rare although odds could be they wre built at the same time...then they both could be bad.....

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Stan, what would have killed my batteries then. .? Darrel

Maybe they got them from the same company that HF uses? I'm sure these batteries are like everything else where the price and quality varies. We want it cheap but we want good quality and sometimes the two never meet.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:29pm
With 5 contacts on these batteries, how do I test them with the volt meter. ..? Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:35pm
From what I skimmed from the net, it may not be possible to measure them without taking the battery pack apart. Looks like there is a safety circuit and other junk that prevents a direct measurement from those contacts.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:13pm
OH CHIT!!!!!  I guess I'll find out when I get up to the farm.....
Got the set last year in the spring and it never said nothing about storage in the winter or I'd of put them down in the root cellar.
DANG, DANG, DANG.....NOW ya tell me
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 12:00am
what else you gots in yer cellar?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:19am

Yeah,,I want to know too,,,,I like prowlin around in them places,,,never know what you're liable to find,,,,Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:36am
prolly gots lots of wine down there! oh and Darrell...just keep touching different contacts till you see the needle move or you gits a reading!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:39am
Ted, all ya has to do is say that ya gots snakes down in that cellar. Then your stuff is pretty safe. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:20am
that's no chit!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 2:10pm
There's wine and beer and booze and food and water and squash and potatoes and snakes and rats and the well head and expansion tank.  I THINK.....that covers it.....oh yeah, and LOTS of spiders too.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:51pm
so.....if'n I goes down there with a shotgun and blast all over, chances are i'd still be able to grab a bottle of wine?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
Nope cause after the first shot there will be a hole in the floor and you won't be moving. I know I wouldn't take well to shots in my basement...   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:07pm
Darrel

That gun has a 1 year warranty so I'd be calling Alemite. I downloded their info..yeesh pricey little 'toy' ! They have 1-800s ! Free.....

for testing ,stick DVM lead on 1 contact, check the other four....1 should have 18 volts. If not put DVM led on next (#2) contact, test 3-4-5 if nothing...
#3 and try 4-5
#4 and 5

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 7:14am
Thanks Jay. The alemite is a bit more expensive, but well worth it. About 8 to 10 years ago, I bought a 14.4 volt alemite, and the guy that sold it to me said that most of his customers can't tell him how many tunes of grease they can pump on one battery, because they lose count. I thought yeah, right. But he was right. I know I put at least a 10 pack of grease through it on one battery before. That gun still works, just need new batteries for it now, too. I bought this 18 volt with the lithium ions a couple years ago, so me and the boy each have one. It's not any better, but not any worse, either, than the 14.4 volt one, except that now I have this battery issue with it. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:44am
the old lady gave me a new 20V battery Dewalt grease gun for Christmas last year. but no battery came with it. haven't used it yet cuz a battery costs over $100. for it. then I gotta buy the charger too. so it sits in the bedroom corner! PffffT!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic