This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different Size Chain on an All-Crop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different Size Chain on an All-Crop
    Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:04pm
Ok...this is another one of those dumb questions, but...what all sizes of chain are used on an All-Crop 60A? I know you're just supposed to read the number stamped on the links, but my chains are all so old and worn, that I can't find numbers anywhere. I think the grain drag, reel drive, and elevator chains are the same (key word think), but I know the unloading auger drive chain is a good bit smaller. 
If anyone knows the numbers or has access to them, I'd appreciate it! Granddad's combine is going to need a new chain on the rear slip clutch and on the bottom of the clean grain elevator soon I think. The sprockets aren't too worn, and the chains are adjusted as tight as they'll go, but sometimes a chain will get thrown. That happens, then I just slide it back on and keep cutting. I tried taking a link out, but then it's way too short and won't fit on both sprockets. Some have suggested getting a new chain, so I might try that if I can get the numbers. 
Thanks! 
Sponsored Links

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:16pm
After shopping the local farm stores like Rural King, Farm & Home, and Tractor Supply I ended up ordering the flat ladder chains needed for our 66 from Shoups. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but can get them tomorrow. Sizes are different. Ryan
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:23pm
We have rolls of chain laying in shop if you come up with what size you need.
WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:52pm
Just bought a roll of chain the stuff used in the elevator, drive chain for reel and rattle chain is #55
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:37am
keep them oiled Creston and they won't come off
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:47am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

keep them oiled Creston and they won't come off
I oil them religiously. I didn't experience any difficulties when we cut 10 acres of wheat, but they started throwing when we cut 3 acres of Milo. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:23am
the milo stocks might be taking them off
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:48am
That's what I began to think. 
combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:51pm
35 and 55 detachable link chains.
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:11pm
Thanks
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:02pm
Ok, so I've looked online and I can find #55, but no #35. 
I'm not sure which is which....I would think the bigger chain that drives the reel, clean grain and tailings elevator, grain drag, and slip clutch would be #55 (bigger # = bigger chain?) and the smaller size chain that drives the unloading auger on the 60As would be #35 (smaller # = smaller chain?), but I can't even find #35. I can dind 25, 32, 33, and 42, but no 35. 
Any comments appreciated. Tell me if I'm right on this or not. 
Thanks! 
combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:13pm
# 32 Creston
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:17pm
Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
on one of my no-till planters sometimes a stalk would take the chains off, I made some BIG washers that went on the inside and outside of the sprockets and they kept the chains on the sprockets. cheap and easy.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

on one of my no-till planters sometimes a stalk would take the chains off, I made some BIG washers that went on the inside and outside of the sprockets and they kept the chains on the sprockets. cheap and easy.
You know, I've thought about that. Just never found anything big enough! I might take some old circular saw blades and cut them down. 
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 1:27pm
The printed Shoup catalog shows detailed dimensions of detachable chain and accessories. And has it to sell. http://www.shoupparts.com
Baum Hydraulics catalog can be downloaded in segments or the whole thing. Their catalog searches better than their web page. The catalog prices are suggested resell, their discount disguised as DATE 2000 for a 20% discount when they sell. http://www.baumhydraulics.com

Gerald J.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:37pm
If the chain is too long the way it is and not long enough to take a link out, just shorten the chain a bit. When I worked in the "chain" factory we had to match lengths of chain for spreader aprons all the time. A small anvil with a radius on top and a hammer is all you need. Lay the barrel of  each link in the radius and smack the top where the split is for detaching. Just make sure it will still swivel after you hit it and go to the next one.If it won't swivel enough, use a cold chisel to open the split back up a bit and don't hit the next one so hard Big smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

If the chain is too long the way it is and not long enough to take a link out, just shorten the chain a bit. When I worked in the "chain" factory we had to match lengths of chain for spreader aprons all the time. A small anvil with a radius on top and a hammer is all you need. Lay the barrel of  each link in the radius and smack the top where the split is for detaching. Just make sure it will still swivel after you hit it and go to the next one.If it won't swivel enough, use a cold chisel to open the split back up a bit and don't hit the next one so hard Big smile
Hm....that does make sense. Just "crimp" all of them a bit and it will shorten the chain. Wonder why I didn't think of that! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic