This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four more
    Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
The gent I bought my replacement loader cutting edge from wanted to dump the rest he had. Had intended to make a press frame from them then realized they were a bit too hard to drill.

He has sold me four additional edges, they are 8 feet long 10 inches wide a full 1 inch thick and beveled the last 1 1/2 inch.

PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 7:20pm
A bit to hard? I think it would take a diamond bit to drill them. They're the hardest stuff I've ever tried to work with. I also wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to preheat any area you are going to weld to keep it from surface cracking?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
Leon got me started think of my neighbor that had to learn most things by experience. Was building a lite quick brush rake on his dozer to clean up his walnut orchard after pruning.

Had some 3/4 x 3 springs out of a junk TD18 dozer. Had a frame of pipe and started welding the spring steel on every so far. They were popping and cracking as he used a general purpose welding rod. He got done tacking the last one as the first fell on the dirt. They all feel off.

Would think the hardened steel would not be the best to us as a frame for much of anything.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:48am
Wonder if you could heat it enough to soften the steel?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:03pm
Do you know what kind of steel it is? AR400 and AR500 series are supposed to be drilled with HSS at low speed with coolant I think a bolt on replaceable cutting edge would be preferred.

I wonder if drilling is impossible or just difficult. Did you try carbide?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:09pm
The blades I was working with were off of motor grader. They may have been harder than what you're talking about. I know when they broke they just went "tink" and that was it. I have had good success preheating hard material and welding it. Not red hot now. John some metals will soften when heated red hot, but there are others that will air harden and I don't remember the alloy that makes it do it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 3:18pm
Being cutting edge will probably be high chromium content so will not so much anneal. Are harder than the hubs of He-- and about as heavy! I have not put a drill to them but have seen these drilled as noted low speed in a drill press or mill with LOTS of coolant applied.

Still I have bought them, pick them up on Tuesday morning and will have them as he did sitting collecting dust for awhile.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:09pm
As received. MODOT sale was where they came from, for Case Wheeled loaders they had ceased to have.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:19pm
dont know about drilling, but when i re did the cutting edges on my dozer i used pieces cut from a cat loader cutting edge. i preheated with a torch, not cherry just hot, and welded with 7018 rods.  these were on the end of the blade and have taken full force of the dozer and still holding.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:29pm
bet MEL could use them
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:49pm
Yep, Mel could use them(don't know what for yet) Nice score Dave.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:46am
Thanks Mel, Am putting the first one to good use on my bucket rebuild.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic