This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L2 on Tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner L2 on Tracks
    Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:47pm

In Norm Swinford's AC book, "Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment 1914-1985" there is a photo of a Gleaner L2 on Metal tracks. Has anyone ever seen an L2 Gleaner on the Metal tracks other then in brochures and books? I take it, that it was not a popular option on these combines.

Who built the optional Tracks for the L2 Gleaner? Gleaner themselves at Independence? Or were the tracks outsourced? If anyone has a picture of an L2/L3 on the metal tracks, Id love to see one outside of the brochures and books.   

Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:40pm
Arps supplied track attachments for many combine brands!  thanks ; ac fleet
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:49pm
they were out sourced , but worked w/Gleaner best I can remember, but AC bought them. Stocked them, and sold most for scrap iron. They were very heavy.  Those who installed them found that unless the unit had RWA the tracks would go anywhere,,,, they wanted to.... one had to modify the header hook ups and drives as well.   I can't say the most, but a few were sold as rice machines in LA and Ark..
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
Might find 'em in rice country...
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:32am

Ok thanks guys. I was wondering about the tracks for the L2/M3. I figured you needed RWA to help move them as well, seeing as the photo's showed the L2 with tracks and RWA. Likely needed a special trailer to haul the combine down the road on Metal tracks, or at least avoid the paved roads. I have seen the combine trailers for combines with tracks, seemed popular in NY State.
Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:58am
I've posted these before, but some may not have seen them.

These tracks were installed on a local farmers G in the early 70's.

This is one of 2 GR Gleaners that Dad brought back from California that we used on our farm. Wish I had better photos of them. They actually had GR Rice Special decals on the grain tank. Both were Hydros.

Another of the GR

This is a KKS that Dad put tracks on that we also used on the farm.

Another of a K that he sold to a customer.

Another of a K.
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Bret (OH) Bret (OH) wrote:

I've posted these before, but some may not have seen them.

These tracks were installed on a local farmers G in the early 70's.

This is one of 2 GR Gleaners that Dad brought back from California that we used on our farm. Wish I had better photos of them. They actually had GR Rice Special decals on the grain tank. Both were Hydros.

Another of the GR

This is a KKS that Dad put tracks on that we also used on the farm.

Another of a K that he sold to a customer.

Another of a K.

Great pictures of the GR, G, and K combines on tracks. How did the combine steering with no rear wheel assist in muddy conditions? I am fairly new to the site, so I have not seen these pictures before. Very neat to see. Thanks.
Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:31am
Right and Left steering brakes helped with the steering.
On the GRs notice they have solid cast steering wheels which were quite heavy. The also had single rib tires that helped as well.
Craig/insoh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:23pm
I saw a set sell in Rainsboro, Ohio in 96 or 97 they brought 5$ tractor jockey last name Morris bought them! I bought a NI UNI SHELLER attachment for 5$ right beside of them! They were bolt pattern to fit a C2 Gleaner or a UNISYSTEM Power unit! They were the last items of the sale and I was not paying attention or I would have bought them too! It is just as well I didn't as I ended up with COPD never did make it back to get the sheller!
Now all I'm able to do is set at the computer some on and off during the day!
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Craig/insoh Craig/insoh wrote:

I saw a set sell in Rainsboro, Ohio in 96 or 97 they brought 5$ tractor jockey last name Morris bought them! I bought a NI UNI SHELLER attachment for 5$ right beside of them! They were bolt pattern to fit a C2 Gleaner or a UNISYSTEM Power unit! They were the last items of the sale and I was not paying attention or I would have bought them too! It is just as well I didn't as I ended up with COPD never did make it back to get the sheller!
Now all I'm able to do is set at the computer some on and off during the day!

That would have been neat to see the tracks on the New Idea Uni System, and of course the C Gleaner, or the "CR" Rice Gleaner.    

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:29pm
A guy on the New Idea Uni System FB page has some mounted shows how he did it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:32pm
Correction it is New Idea Uni-Harvesters FB page!
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:25am
Dad is about 90 percent sure that the factory option tracks were made by Sweeco out of California. At least for the L2, but possibly not the older models.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic