This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Tractor Division Letter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Tractor Division Letter
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
Thought this might be of interest to all. My dad received this letter for the Omaha Nebraska Tractor Division, Branch Mgr. in 1943. I remember dad saying it was hard to get new equipment during the war years. He purchased his first WD in 1949, otherwise farmed with WC's until then. In 1954 he purchased a WD45.

Sponsored Links

Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:05pm
Interesting and Priceless!
Craig/insoh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:30pm
Exactly 20 years before I was born! Exactly 1 year after USS Wasp CV7 was sunk off Gaudalcanal !
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Wow! I'd pay you for a color Xerox copy of that! That's an awesome letter! 
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Craig/insoh Craig/insoh wrote:

Exactly 20 years before I was born! Exactly 1 year after USS Wasp CV7 was sunk off Gaudalcanal !

4 1/2 months after my dad was born 😄 Those were exciting times in this country
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:21pm
55 years before I was born! LOL
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:22pm
Very interesting,, Oscar Cooke had a few Allis Chalmers heavy equipment places around Missouri, if its the same guy ? They were in Sedelia, Fulton, and Chillicothie, sold a lot of equipment to Mertens construction , I got in on a lot of good deals when Mertens bought the Quarry I worked at,
tractorchucker View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorchucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:55pm
Was this the same Oscar Cooke that later assembled the huge tractor collection and owned Kerosene Annie the first oil pull.  I thought that was in Montana?

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:18pm
Wow that's really cool.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:48am
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:01am
thanks Gerald for downsizing it so I could read it! and thanks Tom for posting it!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 7:10am
That's a very cool piece of history!

Creston,
If you right click the big photo (higher quality) you can save it and print it out.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:34pm
If you can't do it Creston, give me a holler and I'll print it out for you.  I can save it till Hutch or send it to you........let me know.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:38pm
Tom, do you still have the envelope it came in?  Would have had a .03 on it.  You are one lucky man to have this heirloom and a piece of the past.  CONGRATS
"Allis-Express"
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
My father's dealership in Maryland did not receive this letter.  However, it is very appropriate for the time.  We knew it was a war we had to win.  We all did everything we could to make it happen.  There was no help so Pop had me put lugs on the steel wheels, - he would come around later and tighten them -, run parts, do whatever I could to help.  We also gathered scrap iron when asked, went through swamps to collect milkweed pods for life preservers, bought War Bonds and Stamps, and anything else we could do.  We were fitin the war in our own way.
I wish you all could have lived through that time.  There was a feeling of purpose in the country that I have never seen again.  We all pulled together.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
Amen Bill.  The closest we have come since was right after 9-11 and that didn't last long.  The Liberals and the people with money overseas couldn't let that happen.
God bless ALL of those men and women from that era.  They DID make America GREAT.
"Allis-Express"
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:36pm
Thanks for posting this letter.  This Allis-Chalmers company letter really puts things in perspective. My Dad is 89 years old and a WWII veteran. I will print a copy of this letter and share it with him. I'll see if he remembers finding it in his Dad's farm mailbox. Both, Dad & Grandpa farmed with AC tractors over the years (U, UC, WD, WD45, & D-17). 

Lots of young men from all over this great country fought for our freedom then and still do today. Thank you - Veterans!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

That's a very cool piece of history!

Creston,
If you right click the big photo (higher quality) you can save it and print it out.
Now why didn't I think of that?? I'll do that! 
TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:11pm
Ted, I do have the envelope it came in which does have a .03 stamp. We found this letter in an old trunk after my mother pass away preparing for her household sale. Really pays to check all items when going thru a family estate. It was a great find.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by tractorchucker tractorchucker wrote:

Was this the same Oscar Cooke that later assembled the huge tractor collection and owned Kerosene Annie the first oil pull.  I thought that was in Montana?

Yes, Oscar Cooke did have an impressive museum in Billings Montana. He died, and they auctioned the stuff off back in the mid 90's. I went and seen it the last year that it was open to the public. Glad I did. He was very instrumental in getting Allis Chalmers to develop the roto baler. One of the very old proto type roto balers was located at his museum. The auction of his stuff was an overwhelming success, so the auction company decided to have a consignment sale of antique farm equipment at the same place the following year. That sale was an epic failure. Darrel
TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm
Farm Collector - 1982, here is a paragraph from a interview with Oscar. If you search the internet, you find a lot of information on the man.

Oscar is a man of many parts and experiences. He started out on a farm, and as a teenager bought a farm of 160 acres in eastern Kansas. He was 14, and he put $400 down on it.

'I broke sod with a team of Molly mules,' he recalls. He grew watermelons on part of the land 'most beautiful vines you ever saw.' He did threshing, then went into the machinery business at Emporia, Kansas. Next he went to work for Allis-Chalmers and was Omaha branch manager.

'I helped develop the round baler,' he states with pride. 'I have the No. 1 round baler.

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic