This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11B RESTORATION PAINT/BODY SHOP IS OPEN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11B RESTORATION PAINT/BODY SHOP IS OPEN
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
Ok, our organic outside fresh air paint booth has failed us miserably this year. So to keep on some kind of schedule we've started improvising. (also known as "poor man has poor ways") Silver tarps, smudgepot, propane burner etc. photo P2060004_zps9hujvdea.jpg
So David got into his first gallon of paint tonight. (we ordered 5) IT'S ORANGE!! photo P2060007_zpsq1u2lovd.jpg
We have copious amounts of rain predicted for the next 2 weeks so we thought we better just suck it up and start turnin things orange. And because John will ask, it's 49.05'' right now and should be over 50'' by morning. photo P2060010_zpsyd8qzksp.jpg
Anyway we've turned the corner and will try to stay on schedule.
  So here's the link to how we got this far if someone doesn't know.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132987&title=hd11b-restoratiOn-has-begun
Sponsored Links

shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:52pm
what do them HD springs attach to?
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:24am
Those springs sit on the track frame and support the front of the tractor.  The spring frame oscillates to allow the track frames independent movement.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:34am
oh...o-k....thanks!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
Mel that orange looks good instead of the pukey whatever the other color is.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:52am
Mel,
Looking good! Welcome to our normal weather!:)
Fresh paint always looks nice!
Thanks for posting.
Off to make some syrup in the fog.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:38pm
MEL A LITTLE OFF TOPPIC MABEY. MY 9@11 ARE STANDERD STEERING AND THEY SEEM TO WORK FINE. NEVER HAVING POWER ASSIST I AM WONDERING ARE THEY MUCH BETTER?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:11pm
Ok, Thanks for the 4 stars. Had a busy successful day. Got the runnig 516 out of the "donor tractor"
 photo P2070012_zps4vzrd2lj.jpg
Even though we spent quite a bit of time cleaning it earlier our plan was to take it out ,clean and paint it while it was on the forklift. photo P2070014_zpsfbquhdlk.jpg
We thought we would try some paint remover. We've never had much success with this in the past.  photo P2070015_zpsfswcpblp.jpg
So we had a pre paint planning meeting before noon. If the paint remover works, then it needs to be painted immediately do to the weather. David said he has the paint ready if it works. It worked very well washing it of with the hot pressure washer, down to bare metal. photo P2070017_zpsjbtlgf2x.jpg
Don't ask me why, but for some reason the sun came out this afternoon and we moved to the outside paint booth. photo P2070019_zpseduhl05f.jpg
It was 3 o clock before the paint went on. photo P2070021_zps9gg1jouw.jpg
The plan was to put it right in the tractor,wet paint and all before dark. photo P2070025_zps64ky9bui.jpg
It actually went pretty well. photo P2070026_zpslsj3a1jf.jpg
It's all bolted in. photo P2070029_zpsjcfnfiex.jpg
Our experience with the paint remover was good. we think we might try it more on some other big pieces. We were planning on sand blasting like we have in the past but the rain has put all that on hold.Any way we got the tarps back up before dark. photo P2070032_zps5zmboxsn.jpg
We're expecting another 2-4'' of rain in the next several days starting tonight. Oh, John it's now 51.51'' for the season

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:33pm
Great work, Mel and gang!  I hope some of that rain is falling in the central valley, looks like my state is going to put a lot more water into the Colorado River for those guys down south to use.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:59am
thanks Mel....I love your posts and pics!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:22am
Man that is looking good.
Hena View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:25am
Connect With WHYPS . . WHYPS” is to facilitate the original equipment manufacturers, distributors, design engineers, technicians, recruiters and such people connected with hydraulic/fluid power industry to interact with each other, share their details, introduce new technology, ideas and developments    Whyps.com
Hena View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:25am
Connect with whyps.com . . To grow your hydraulic business, , WHYPS” is to facilitate the original equipment manufacturers, distributors, design engineers, technicians, recruiters and such people connected with hydraulic/fluid power industry to interact with each other, share their details, introduce new technology, ideas and developments,

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:37pm
Yes, looking good thanks for keeps us posted
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:41am
Wonder what is with Hena from India?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:00am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Wonder what is with Hena from India?

Typical spammer ploy, hena is trying to sell something...Wink
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:29am
Man, when you guys get with a project, you don't waste any time. Sure am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:37am
One quick question, Mel. The 516 in my road grader has a belt driven super charger on it. Does this engine have that also. .? Thanks, Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:07am
dang...there's a lot of pulleys on that engine!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:08am
and you need to paint them allis chalmers letters black so they stand out! lol
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
No it does not have a supercharger.  I reported the HENA post, thought it was a distraction to this important stuff, but I see it's still there. Yes , Shameless we'll get the black paint out for the lettering
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
Very nice work getting that engine pulled, cleaned, painted and installed! That was a busy day! Great pictures as usual!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:44pm
Amazing progress... even though the elements are giving you a hard time!!

How many gallons of oil does that 516 oil pan hold?? 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
Eric, I think it use about 4-1/2 gallons even though the pan is humungus. So here's where we our today. We tried to paint outside,it almost worked. photo P2100038_zpsxqic2nz6.jpg
David likes to make sure the "show parts" (things that stick out) should have the best paint job,so a lot of those parts are sanded or maybe sand blasted and primed first. photo P2100039_zpsbvnzg7wl.jpg
Some of this stuff we moved in and out several times do to rain today.
 photo P2100040_zpsiwepsnm5.jpg
The orange goes on pretty nice with primer on it. photo P2100048_zpsnwkprrd7.jpg
Hoping to get the fuel tank and battery boxes on tomorrow. photo P2100045_zpsr6kfzmd0.jpg
So I've been doing body shop work while the paint dries.
 photo P2040001_zpsycwqfbkw.jpg
So earlier I cut this stuff of of these "donor tractor " fenders with the air arc. I weld it up and grind it of till I can get it to fly by the painter guy. He'll do bondo, I don't, but I can weld and grind until it's  smooth. (I don't do wood either). photo P2040002_zpscm41chb2.jpg
I kind of think this is a real mans body shop. (weld and grind) photo P2040003_zpsxbcvsr6n.jpg
Trust me it will look good when were done.  So the other thing was getting started putting the track guards on that came of of another "donor tractor" photo P2100043_zps7pey2dln.jpg
So that's today's progress. We're supposed to have no rain for 4 days. Davids going to sandblast and paint tomorrow. I'm off to coach the grandsons rec league BBall game and then go watch the granddaughters BBall game. Get AC restoration time from 1:00 to 5:00 then of to help cook 90 Rib Eye steaks for our local volunteer fire dept. annual "sweet heart dinner''. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:43am
Getting there!  Gonna feel strange, no rain for 4 days.  At least the FD shouldn't get a forest fire call.

Shameless, didja happen to notice those pretty blue trucks in the background???  Look like Ferds to me!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:30pm
Oooooh, man, that looks nice. Fuel tank shines like a mirror. When is this big show that you are going to have this ready for?  Maybe have to start a bus at the east coast and pick up forum members along the way, and end up there for a first hand look at the stuff. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:03am
yeah John....I seen them truck wanna-be's parked there! looks like they backed into one of them already! should have kept going! lol
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:48am
Yea Darrel, that Fuel tank sure does shine don't it. Caught my eye too...
 Those boys out there sure do a fine job of restoring them old toys. sheesh if one just had a 10th of their talents...
  Seen the double lip rollers, weren't they suppose to be every other on them or was that for certain applications?
 Gees, I gotta go up and give Mel a thanks for each of his posted pics.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:12am
Don't know where Mel is re this issue, but it looks like they're gonna need a few dozers, there, soon...

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/nCIg7VI7gVo[/TUBE]

Good luck, Mel, hope ya keep yer feet dry...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:15pm
They're gonna need more than dozers I dare say. May need some well placed prayers starting about a week ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic