This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unstyled WC paint scheme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unstyled WC paint scheme
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:28pm
One of my friends is doing his grandpas unstyled WC.  He would like to get
it as close to original as possible.  I said mostly orange but said not really sure.  He especially asked about the radiator and the rims.  So can someone run down the paint scheme on an unstyled WC and what about the different styles of rear rims.   Thanks, Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

john0030 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john0030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:16am
Orange...
51'WD
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:22am
It's personal preference. I prefer to see a WC painted all PO #1. Rims and radiator included. I'm not into polishing the brass on the radiator. I don't mind if someone paints the rear wheels black, but I think they look better orange. What my real pet peeve is when a "WC" decal is placed on the side of the radiator after the tractor is painted.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
Orange, orange, orange,  everything is orange to include carburator, starter, generator, steering wheel.   When I started in this business 50 years ago there were original tractors around yet,  they were all orange!!!!!!

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:39pm
Does anyone know when they went from black spoke rims to orange? I like the orange better, but I've been told some spoke wheeled WC's were originally black rims?
I pulled my WC out of the weeds with original tires on it, the rims were black......
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 3:18pm
I've got 2 brochures, one is original, the other is a copy. The original one is for a High-Speed combine (Earliest All-Crop) and all the WC's in the brochure are orange with black wheels. I also have an excellent reproduction of a early WC brochure and all the photos of it are orange with black wheels. They are real black and white photos, not "color added" like the above photo. 

Bill, where are you??? We need YOU!!! I trust your word over anyone's, including mine. 

Edited by CrestonM - 07 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Does anyone know when they went from black spoke rims to orange? I like the orange better, but I've been told some spoke wheeled WC's were originally black rims?
I pulled my WC out of the weeds with original tires on it, the rims were black......

littlemarv, what brand of tires were on your WC when you got it out of the weeds???
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm
I'm pretty sure the brand was Armstrong.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 7:48am
ALL SPOKE WHEELS WERE BLACK ...they were provided by French and Hecht. Allis bought them with tires already installed. The U, UC, WF, and WC tractor wheels were always black..until they went to cast centers. ANYTHING SPOKE WAS BLACK WHEN NEW. (very early WC were Green)
P.O. #1 for entire remainder of tractor

Edited by oldorangeiron - 08 Feb 2017 at 7:50am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:56am
OK, if F&H supplied the rims, how come there are spoke fronts that are 17" Allis rims, and 16" F&H rims?

Not arguing or hijacking, just trying to get the rims figured out. Allis made front rims but not rears??

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:36am
Not for sure there, but no arguing the fact that all rear spokes and all 16" fronts are stamped F&H...so that ends that.. Its possible Allis thought it cheaper at the time to produce their own fronts then decided against? I don't know that answer...that would also explain why the 17" wheels show green underneath as well...just a theory, but Ill bet its right
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:10am
As said above, lots of orange and then more orange, personally I like black spoke rims correct or not.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:23am
Wasn't there a post a few weeks ago form a guy researching F&H weights and wheels? He had a pretty good write up about WC rims.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
Black is correct..new from factory. They were never orange when new.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:44am
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
We have two catalogs from AC in 1935 and 1937. Both show that tractors with rubber tires had black spoke wheels and steel wheel tractors were orange. As Old Orange Iron stated earlier, some early WC's had green wheels with rubber tires. I know of only one and it is not to far away from me and not for sale.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

We have two catalogs from AC in 1935 and 1937. Both show that tractors with rubber tires had black spoke wheels and steel wheel tractors were orange.
x2
ctbowles 58 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
they went from black to orange wheels in mid 1936
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:20pm
The '37s had dish rear wheels, and they were orange I'm pretty sure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:14am
As Creston stated I believe, the switch happened when the cast centers appeared. ALL F&H SPOKES WERE BLACK. with the exception of the green early wheels...Orange became standard at the onset of cast and pressed steel centers.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:24pm
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:25pm
Herschal Surrat in West Central Illinois sold an early WC last October at Aumann Auctions and the wheels were green.  The auctioneer said they checked and the color was correct for that period.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:45am
Gentlemen,  Please remember that Allis-Chalmers made the WC as an ecenomical unit. That said, it means that Allis Chalmers Painted in the cheapest way.  That meant that everyting was painted PO#1.  However, in some instances when the rear wheels and tires were supplied by after market sources and since they were already sufficiently painted they were not re-painted.
I doubt if you can find one today but I recall the new CA tractors that came through with the generator and starter painted orange.  I asked and was told it was cheaper to paint them rather than make arrangements to have them remain the original color.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

OK, if F&H supplied the rims, how come there are spoke fronts that are 17" Allis rims, and 16" F&H rims?

Not arguing or hijacking, just trying to get the rims figured out. Allis made front rims but not rears??

The 17" front spoke wheels were also supplied by F&H and have the same hub casting number as the later 16" replacement wheels that were aftermarket supplied.  HC111 is the casting number.  All of the factory spoked wheels were made by F&H including the steel wheels.
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
In regards to the wheel colors, F&H made wheels for almost every tractor manufacturer in the 1930's.  They generally painted all of their wheels a dark green color in their factory.  Some tractor companies would then paint over this base coat with their wheel color of choice.  The author of Original Allis Chalmers when doing research for the book had the change order right in front of him from the Agco archives that showed Allis specifying after April of 1934 that all F&H wheels for rubber tires would be painted black instead of dark green.  F&H also sold their wheels to aftermarket suppliers and these would have been dark green so if a farmer decided to buy a set of wheels from his local tire shop, that's the color they would have been.  A vast majority of the WC rears that I have seen have black paint on them.
Randy MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 9:39pm
I have a copy of the drawings for the "Pneumatic Rear Wheel for 'W' Tractor" U2069 from Allis Chalmers Manufacturing Co. The drawings also have notations of changes in design and color changes initialed by an AC employee. The print is a little distorted, but a friend of mine enlarged it and here is what is noted. The drawing is of the spoked 11.25 x 24 air tires. First note is "Wheel Enameled Black" which looks like 2-9-33 initialed by W.F.S., revised on 12-29-33. On 1-25-34 "Enamel Color was Persian Orange" initialed by L.K. Then on 4-16-34 "Color was Olive Green CHG'D DRG to conform to F&H DWG" initialed by W.F.S. Then what looks to be the same date- "Note- color to be approved by A.C. removed. So it would seem that the 1933 Waukesha's through 1-25-34 were enameled black by Allis Chalmers. Then from 1-25-34 Persian Orange was the color from then on. On 4-16-34 Olive Green was suggested but never approved. It looks like F&H had black and green for those who went from steel to rubber.
I have 2 untouched black and white photos of WC's serial # 510 or lower (hinged gas caps) that clearly have the 24" rears and the 17" fronts painted orange. Also page 46 of Norm's book has an early 34 with orange wheels. That being said, there seems to be more photos of WC's with black wheels.

Bottom line in my opinion is to paint your wheels what you like most.
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:05pm
Is there any change to the hub characteristics on that drawing Randy?  There seems to be a change from the very early tractors with an HC46 hub to an HC46A hub that accommodates the inner wheel weight on the back side.  I would be interested in any other info on the drawing.
Randy MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:21pm
I am not able to load this drawing onto the forum ecclap, but if you PM me with your address I can send you a copy.
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:59pm
The 1938 WC Brochure still shows them with black rims:

www.allischalmersarchive.com
Your Source Of Free Vintage Allis Chalmers Brochures Available For Downloading
tractorchuckie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorchuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:21am
Great topic I'm looking to redo our WC, it's a 1937 with F&H spokes in the rear and rims in the front. It was restore originally in the early seventies and refreshed in the early 2000 before I bought it the colour of the rims is a hot topic between the wife and I thxchuck
still looking for the holy grail of Allis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic