This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detroit in Allis 440

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detroit in Allis 440
    Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:08pm
I was wondering if by chance anyone knew who had the 6v71 powered 440? I was wanting to talk to them if that was possible. I've seen a picture of it, but would like some more pictures and to know how tolerable it was in the cab. My 555 cummins is junk, and without stretching the frame I'm stuck with a 3208 Cat or 6v71/6v92.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:56pm
I would think that a 6V92 would be a more viable option than a 6/71. But I really don't know how hard it would be to adapt it. Have more power also, but not so much it would tear things. Uh, maybe.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:16pm
6V92 TA is 350hp...use it wisely
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:33pm
6v71 is almost bullet proof. 92 series had their fair share of issues.

440 will take 350 hp. Same finals transmission and drop box as Tiger II's. Buggest difference is that the frames on 440's and bearcats arent has heavy. Steigers moto was 100lbs per hp un balasted. So a steiger at 325hp should weigh 32,500 lbs.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:42am
George Nesbit has a 440 with a 6V71 is his 300 A-C collection. I was a the auction when he bought it.  Google World's largest A-C collection 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:23am
An 8.3 Cummins will fit in it without stretching it I beleieve
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
I would want to talk to someone who had driven the old 71 serries motor in a tractor before I put it in. Those motors will run forever but they have about the world's narrowest torque curve. We had a truck with one of them I think it was the 6 71 and you had to shift that thing all the time and keep the that motor spinning at high rpm or it would just bog right down. They are great with a constant load but hills in the field or anything that changes the load forget it After driving that truck and the stories I heard about people who converted farmall M tractors to the 2 71 I would look for a different motor. To bad because they are old school American with a true diesel sound.
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
I agree with Dan, I wouldn't want an old "screamin jimmy" in tractor personally,well except an oliver 1900. Them detroits had to wide open to pull anything. Plus I wouldn't want to listen to it scream all day.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:02pm
I'm not a fan of cummins engines especially the 555. I do have a 270hp 3306 cat that I really wanted to stick in there, but without stretching the frame about 8" it just isn't going to fit. I wouldn't mind the 3208, but would rather have the 3208T to atleast get to 250hp. I've never ran anything with a Detroit. I've talked to guys that say they aren't that bad to listen to, but I'm afraid wide open in a tractor it will be worse. I found a 6v92 locally that is cheap, but I don't want to have to wear ear muffs when I run it.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:14pm
I have a cummins in my case 5240 and I would take that over a detroit any day. It would wipe the floor with that detroit 72 serries we had in our truck.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:30pm
What's wrong with the 555? I'm currently rebuilding a V504 for our Versatile
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:55pm
I'd take a 555 over a 3208 any day of the week...We have one in our 555 versatile and as long as you don't pull it like a 275 HP 4 WD you will be fine...I wouldnt have a slobbering Detroit in a tractor especially a 440 Allis with as noisy of a cab as they already are. No v8 is good but the 555 is about as good as they get in that size of a tractor
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
A triple nickel in the 440 screams bad enough. I couldn't stand it with a detroit. If ya wanna go deaf, put one in.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Ive seen two transplants over here ,one with a 6v 53 detroit and another with an 8.3 cummins.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:27pm
8.3 Cummins is the way to go if you're not gonna go back with the 555
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:56pm
That tells me all I need to know on the Detroit, I'll scratch that. We have 12 machines with cat engines and 2 with cummins. One is a tractor with an 8.3 that dad bought new and it broke the crankshaft at 1200hrs. The other is a N14 in a semi that has been to the shop 7 times for injector fault codes and $5000 later it's still not fixed. The only problem we've had with a cat engine is a heui pump went out at 7200hrs. We have 2 dump trucks with 3208's and they may not be a powerful truck engine at 54,000lbs but they will start at zero degrees as soon as you hit the switch. I just thought if I could get an extra 100hp from a engine the same size it might be worth it if the noise level wasn't too bad. I haven't even got a chance to run the 440, because it seems to have some stuck valves and it was parked for getting coolant in the oil.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:02pm
Think about how underpowered the dump trucks are and think about running a doggy tractor like that all day...Having to have it wrapped out before dropping your implememt in the ground...As far as your luck with Cummins, you are the exception to the rule...The 8.3 is a great motor and the big block N14 when running correctly will absolutely destroy a 3406 Cat motor..I've run them both in trucks and thr N14 in a tractor is a beast...Best torque in the industry...Give the Cummins another try...The 3208 is weak in a farm tractor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:10pm
Oil in the coolant...I know that feeling. The Cummins V8 was good for that. Terrible cavitation issues. That's why our V504 is apart. But, a little JB weld in the pitting and new sleeves and orings and we'll be back in business soon!
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
I'm not trying to argue or put down cummins. I'm just not much of a cummins person. The 3208 is more motor than the 555 is and if I go with the 3208 I would rather have the turbo to get a little more yet. There's a lot more 3208's to choose from than a 555 and the parts for them are readily available. I bought a Pete with a 470hp acert in it and it feels like more truck than the 500hp N14 did.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm
I've had no problem getting parts for the 504. Most parts are the same on a 555. Only thing you have to remember is your putting a bigger engine in the same tractor you pulled the triple nickle out of...The rest is still only rated for what it was build to handle
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:54pm
An N14 makes slightly less torque than a 3406 in any form (A-B-C-E) when comparing hp to hp. There's charts out there to compare the 2. Dont know what a 555 makes but a 3208T cranks 620 ft.lbs @200 hp and at 250hp it makes 640 ft.lbs. both at 1200 rpm. Keep in mind the big 8550 allis only makes slightly over 600 ft.lbs of torque but still pulls like a freight train. 8.3 Cummins is a good motor but I personally prefer Cat over cummins. I've ran both Cat and Cummins in floaters,tractors and big trucks. The semi I drive now has a 3406b turning over 500hp (yes its turned up)and it will blow the doors off a 500 cummins and leave a nice black cloud behind me. We've had more problems with the cummins engines then any cat engine we've ever had. Which ever way you go stay away from the Detroit.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
how about that 640 v8 perkins
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:41pm
3406b was one of the best cat made...Had two of them once and look Ed them...Switched to Cummins and loved them as well...None of the new ones with all the emissions on them are worth a damn...If you put the 3208 in the 440 check the drive lines and transmission to make sure it can handle it
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:24am
HudCo, you must really want to make a guy unhappy!  I've heard the Perkins V8 makes an excellent boat anchor....
As for the Detroit, I've been told and maybe read on this forum, that the only way to run one in a truck is to start up the truck, let it warm up for a couple minutes, take a good sized hammer out of the tool box and slam it onto your thumb as hard as you can, then drive it like you feel!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:52am
John, that drive it like you feel... reminded me of a time I went with my nephew to haul a crawler home, the rig was an old IH semi tractor with a 6-71 in it and a step deck heavy trailer. The owner of the outfit told nephew to drive it like your mad at it.  We left his yard and was pussy-footen it along and it just was sluggish and didn't quite shift right and stuff. Finally I reminded him of what the owner had said... and he drove it like he was mad at it and boy that did the trick, and everything just seemed to work better. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:03am
The semi I have has a 6V92 TA Detroit in it, it is a little noisy but not as bad as what was in the older Olivers (or my HD-5 crawler) that are naturally aspirated.  It does have a muffler though which helps a lot compared to a straight pipe.  A 4 stroke will have more torque and will be quieter, but you need to like and understand the Detroit diesels in order to tolerate them in equipment.  The turbo does help to significantly quiet the engine noise, but it will be loud enough yet.  My truck doesn't have the greatest of noise dampening (1980 L9000 Ford) and has the "doghouse" in the cab to get the engine noise a little closer to you also.  Looking at the 218 engine HP of the 440, the 8.3 Cummins will comfortably make that and more for a long time.  If you straight pipe it and it is like the 8.3 in the R series Gleaners or the IH combines you'll have just as much cab noise as the Detroit.  When the neighbor starts his 2188 in his shed a 1/3 of a mile away, I can hear it at my place.  I'm so happy in the fall when he is done running the two closest fields to me so I can sleep again (work 3rd shift).  The 6V92 TA Detroits make pretty good torque down to about 1400-1500 RPM unlike the older natural aspirated 71 series Detroit. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:40am
Just think, if you put a 3208 in the 440, you'd have a replica of the prototype that is in all the books. Very few ever notice the engine in the pictured tractor is Cat powered, not Cummins 555 lol! A turbo 3208 would be a much better engine than the 555 na, and the turbo engines are much better built than the early na engines.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:40am
Originally posted by wayneIA wayneIA wrote:

The semi I have has a 6V92 TA Detroit in it, it is a little noisy but not as bad as what was in the older Olivers (or my HD-5 crawler) that are naturally aspirated.  It does have a muffler though which helps a lot compared to a straight pipe.  A 4 stroke will have more torque and will be quieter, but you need to like and understand the Detroit diesels in order to tolerate them in equipment.  The turbo does help to significantly quiet the engine noise, but it will be loud enough yet.  My truck doesn't have the greatest of noise dampening (1980 L9000 Ford) and has the "doghouse" in the cab to get the engine noise a little closer to you also.  Looking at the 218 engine HP of the 440, the 8.3 Cummins will comfortably make that and more for a long time.  If you straight pipe it and it is like the 8.3 in the R series Gleaners or the IH combines you'll have just as much cab noise as the Detroit.  When the neighbor starts his 2188 in his shed a 1/3 of a mile away, I can hear it at my place.  I'm so happy in the fall when he is done running the two closest fields to me so I can sleep again (work 3rd shift).  The 6V92 TA Detroits make pretty good torque down to about 1400-1500 RPM unlike the older natural aspirated 71 series Detroit. 

You must be a very light sleeper. I work shift work and if the help is running the FW30 with a straight piped VT 903 it doesn't wake me. The 903 can be heard 3 miles away.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:52am
I agree with Wayne. I've owned a variety of different powered trucks over the years. Say what you like but I still have a soft spot for the old Detroits. Love the sound of a 12V71.
I have a 78 Ford LTN 9000 with a 290 Cummins that I bought new. Also had a 78 Ford LTS 9000 with a 6V92 Detroit. Earlier I had a 75 Ford LT 9000 tractor with a 8V71.
The 6V92 had a lower recommended shift point then the Cummins and had it all over the 8V71. The 6V92 was set at the max 335 hp and pulled like it. They have 3 power setting.
The green ones had some issues but mine was good. The silver version cleaned up most leaks and were better. My wife's uncle had a dozen Fords at one time all with 8V92's pulling double dump trains and loved them. I have an '97 Ford Aeromax now with one of the last 3176 Cats and it does very well for 365 hp. Great torque. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:01am
One of the best sounding trucks I ever heard was a 903 no turbo with straight pipes. Sounded just like an extremely healthy V8 Chebby only louder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic