This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new guy with a couple questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new guy with a couple questions
    Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 5:25am
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hey. also, to ask a couple questions but first let me fill you in on some details. first I'd like to say that I'm not a farmer although I have great respect for those that are, it's a tough life for sure. secondly, I just picked up a pretty nice A.C. 720 with a 700 front end loader on it and wheel weights on the rear, it also has the 3 point hitch and rear PTO on it. the hour meter only shows about 64 hours but I'm not sure it's accurate. we bought it with the intentions of fixing it up some and reselling it.

currently it's in usable condition other than needing the carb rebuilt, we drove it on and off the trailer with ease. the previous owner just replaced the plugs and 1 hyd. line on the bucket, he also changed the oil and filters. the steering is a bit sloppy and looks to be primarily the ball joints, other than that the rest is cosmetic--the hood has a nice size dent in it and the grille is missing ---we haven't had time to go through it yet but I think that's all the mechanical issues.

our plan is to:
repair the hood/grille
repaint in A.C. original colors
re-decal
rebuild the carb
replace/repair the steering
fix or repair anything else we find that is an issue.

so, now to my questions:

can you give me an estimate of it's value in it's current state?

can you give me an estimate of it's value once all the work it done?

I know these things are subjective and pictures would help but I don't have any at the present. as I stated, I'm not very familiar with these types of machines so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 9:15am
Those questions are hard to answer for several reasons.  First of all, prices vary across the country.  Second, there is no picture so we cannot see how it really looks (pictures usually do not tell the whole story either).
What is it worth after the work is done?  Basically, whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  The market for these things were pretty hot a few years ago, but have since cooled off pretty good.  If I needed to give an estimate, you would be hard pressed to get $4500 for it in my opinion.  Wiring harnesses were also a big weak point on these machines, so you might want to look it over very carefully.  64 Hours is definitely not accurate based on the work it needs - those hour meters were notoriously unreliable.
It doesn't sound like it needs too much in terms of parts (they usually don't), but it sounds like you might have some pretty good shop time adding up.  Most steering problems originate at the steering box.  To reach it, you need to remove the engine, not the most fun job in the world (especially if you are not familiar with it).  With that front end loader, the front axle assembly probably has plenty of wear on it and would need to be built up.
I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I do not think it is going to be a big payday for your shop.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 9:31am
Myron pretty much covered the machine quite well in his post. I will second that you need to go over the machine very slowly and do a through inspection. Prices of these machines are all over the place as Myron mentioned. Some have just a front PTO, some have front and rear PTO's. We offer some electrical components on our website if you need anything electrical. We also offer  a 4 way flasher kit, work lamp kit, as well as a new wiring system for the unit to. You can find quite a few parts for these machines on E-Bay if you need a source for parts. Brenda @ Sandy Lake Implement can help you out with parts also. HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
mnoonan-NEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnoonan-NEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
Perry,
I have exactly what you have. Bought it in average shape, added power steering and completely restored it all. Many $ involved. I bought all my wiring needs from Steve at B & B. Great guy to work with.
Picture of mine below.
Mike
AC CA, Ferguson TO-20, Ford NAA, M-M BG, AC #3 Mower, SC Plow, PH Digger, AC 720's with Ark 700 loader & Brantly Backhoe, "Mini B" w/flathead Ford V8
M.A.C.K. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:44am
thanks for the replies guys,  we're not looking to do full restore on it, just get it reliable and fix the obvious things that need attention so the new owners can get good use out of it. we do primarily Custom Cars and Trucks so this will be our first adventure in the farm equipment market, I've already ordered the carb kit and the decal set for it, I'll pick up the paint and finishing supplies next week.

we were able to get it at a decent price and figured if we can turn a couple $$'s without hurting the new owners pockets that's great. we have a small market for it out here as there are quite a few "farmettes" and some larger farms around the area, selling it shouldn't be an issue "depending on price" obviously.

we're gonna give it a good "check up" and go from there, hopefully won't spend a bunch of money on it and our labor is "free" kind of.

Mike, yep, thats the beast --- ours is exactly the same except for the lights on top of the fenders and the condition of course.

thanks again guys.
Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:45pm
Mike,
Looks GREAT with the Lolipops on the fenders!!  Thumbs Up  She's a sweet one!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:02am
It's very likely that if the machine is in good cosmetic condition, that repainting it will take money off the table for you.  Collectors pay premiums for above average condition, original tractors, and unless a proper restoration is done, a repaint has less appreciation in resale value from such folks.  

If it looks nice now and you can buy it right, get it mechanically A+, I think your margin will be better.  Unless bought for scrap prices, refurbs are typically done at a loss, for guys who simply love the work and the machines.  I would let your future buyer do that if he chooses.  A local who simply wants a small loader tractor may see the refinish as a plus, but that buyer also has LOTS to choose from in the vintage subcompact market.  If I wanted a small loader tractor for work, I wouldn't be picking one of these.   The lack of power steering, locking differential, Cat1 3 point and 540 rear PTO (or any rear PTO in most cases) are big drawbacks.  The best crowd to buy one of these is right here, in my opinion, but they will have a more critical eye.  I see higher asking prices for these here and in other Allis-specific selling places, than elsewhere.  For someone shopping with a bit of patience, you can pair a very nice loader with a real nice machine for under $3000.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:34pm
yes i would rather have a good wax job on the original paint any day unless the sheetmetal is all beat up. most people buying a compact tractor wants it to start ,run ,do there little job and forget about it till they need it next  time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic