This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GP bucket overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GP bucket overhaul
    Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 2:21pm
Well I dug the GP out of the mud from the donor, the rebuild process begins and YES, I put those holes in it before you ask. The MP bucket is just too heavy and hard to manage also being about 1/3 less volume.

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:03pm
Used up what gas I had left for Gas Axe but got this far. Inside structure still good, played connect the dots on rub thru holes to cut away the excess scabs. Was three layers OVER the original skin and wear plates, just a mess outside. I get bottles refilled Friday then back at it until I can put it back inside the shop to start dressing for welding. Steel is ordered base plate and wear shoes in AR400.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:42pm
Are those some grader cutting blades welded on the front of the bucket?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:42pm
Best I can tell, Yes. They are coming off too! Have a new 1" thick cutting edge awaiting.
david weldon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david weldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:14pm
are you taking of the 4 in 1 bucket on the 7g to put this on dave ?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:21pm
I tried to use cutting edge off a grader one time. To dang hard for the app. I was using them for and broke real quick. Those things are really hard, but I guess they have to be.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 3:52pm
Old Ulrich bucket too dang heavy after using it this long for my purposes. Will keep it available and the lines will still be on the tractor with quick connects. But yes I am putting the GP on it for now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:06pm
This is why the 4/1 I have is coming off. Six pivot points each side to do what most can with only three, lots of machinery moving and weighing tonnage. Do not understand the thinking on this bucket, why had to be so complex and heavy. Have gotten a bit further on the floor remove.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Jan 2017 at 10:08pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 8:33am
My O My. That is a heavy bucket isn't it? I guess it would have to be for it's intended use, but I think simpler would be better like you're doing.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 2:51pm
Have looked at all sort of 4/1, Multi Purpose and so on buckets, this is the ONLY Ulrich I have ever come across. I do not believe they were all too popular and most probably ended up against a gas axe long ago. Will keep it and if EVER I come to show the old girl at tractor shows will have the heavy critter on it.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 10:37pm
yes can see why your taking it off now Dave. Is a complicated way of doing what most other 4 in 1 buckets do simply.
personally I wouldn,t have a track loader unless it had a 4 in 1 bucket.
but that design is a definite exception.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 10:40pm
My old 933G with how a 4 in 1 bucket should be
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 4:10am
Had found a older 4/1 off another brand last year, had considered buying it and converting to fit the Allis but just could not bring myself there. Will manage with these two as I get the GP repaired it will be a good light on her toes machine for general work, will have the MP for when I choose to use the heavy beast.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:57pm
You know it just came to me where one of these would be handy. Back in about 1960 I drove a dump truck and moved a lot of dirt. That would have been easy to run up to the truck and open it up and dump. Seems like it would have been a little faster.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 12:23am
I had a 4 in 1 bucket on an IHC 500E crawler.  It was handy for finishing the last few bucket fulls on the truck as you could also open it and use the bucket to push the material over to the other side of the box.  They are also handy for pulling fence posts and picking up rocks or broken concrete in demo jobs.  The straight blade was useful for pushing material without filling the bucket.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:02am
I had to 'open up' the entry to our farm for better visibility determined by MODOT, the Allis worked well even before I swapped transmissions where I was moving dirt off the road edge up to a old Chev 2 1/2 ton dump truck. I did use the 4/1 as noted to top fill and push the load to center and I did use it to pluck a few old wooden posts as well Honey Locust saplings.    Only issue was riding hard on the idlers with all the weight up front empty, as well the bucket heaped would barely carry 1 1/2 yards where the GP has a 2 1/4-2 1/2(guessing) capacity
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:14am
Wow, D miller, either you were working late last night or up early, 3:02 am!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:09am
Nah, my computer doesn't clock right Is closer to 4:30am right now, never have figured that one out! I am up early, usually by 3:30am when work the day watches, or down late as 7:30am for night watches. Managed to get the remnant cutting edge removed last evening with a section of the bucket moldboard that was so hacked/jacked up along the leading edge I decided to remove and replace it too. That will only be a piece of 3/16" x 12" x 78". Remaining pieces of the old corner bits I will grinder away at the welds to see if can get them off cleaner that way. The next step clean up what I have now and start fitment then welding.

Edited by DMiller - 01 Feb 2017 at 4:16am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:26am
This is inside for now, bad COLD weather coming for Saturday, did manage to get a few inner bottom welds cut into and overlaid. Still working on the welded, re-welded, over-welded and hacked up corner bits, may just end up using up what gas I have to 'wash' them off the side panels then reload the bottles AGAIN.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
Dave I really like the way you're going at it. This is something the new age Operator/farmer doesn't have a clue how to do. This sort of thing was always fun to me. Bu the way my GGM was from Herman. Name of Shelton.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
My neighbor worked at L&S for a few years, also taught at Linn, he said he taught mechanic basics for the farm boys but never got this deep into a loader. I have only been in Hermann now for roughly five years, only lived here the last two and love it. Quite a few people have looked at what I get done and just marvel at the capability to swap from carpenter, to tile setter to electrician or mechanic then welder. Just some of the skills I honed or boned up on over the years.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Was supposed to warm some today, I believe the weather liars were incorrect again but I did gain a little ground!! Got the side panels hacked away, gave up on saving any part of them and got a few pieces somewhat aligned and tacked in place.

david weldon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david weldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:30am
great bit of work there dave.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:11am
Thanks. A lot of fit up to do yet as I get to the cutting edge next. Have to set it and then set the floor to flip the bucket over to finish inside welds.

Should be a nice unit once completed.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
Man that is really looking good. The thing about a carpenter is that if he is a good one, he has to know a little bit about all that other stuff so he can prepare the things he's working on for the next guy.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 6:18pm
Ain't that the truth Leon!!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:00pm
Was talking to a friend yesterday at an auction, said he had spent the last couple weeks rebuilding a bucket on their FA wheel loader, said it nowhas more welding rod in it then steel!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:24am
Can get there pretty quick. I have already used five pounds 3/32 7018 rod for tacks, have a few more pounds to set before start in on the full line welds so picked up 30 pound 1/8" 7018.

Old moldboard had eroded to 3/16" thick, the side panels are 1/4", the side leading edges will be 1/2" AR400 as will be the cheeks under the low corner cutting edges and the rub shoes on the bottom. Bottom sheet is 3/8" as well AR400. The cutting edge I have is CASE NOS I bought from a local several months ago 1" x 10" x 96" and will be cut down to fit the 78" bucket.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm
A 'little' further along, only wish my welds looked as they did twenty years ago, hands not as steady and eyes not as sharp anymore. Cutting edge is affixed, need to set floor plate and flip it over.

Edited by DMiller - 20 Feb 2017 at 6:42pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:17pm
Good work, how much are you paying your self to do this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic