This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GP bucket overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 4:29am
NOT near enough!!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Got hot today as rain set in last night and too wet to set fence.

Floor plate is pocket hole cut and tacked onto bucket.

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
That metal is going to try very hard to warp and crack. Be diligent as you weld. Best wishes
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:05pm
Tack it in spots, then move to other side or to center and tack those down, so far is pretty well set to the ribs inside the inner bottom, no warpage of note.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
That's a fine piece of workmanship. I hear what you saying about how beads looked a little better when I guy was younger. My main problem though, is not being able to see like I used to. Sometimes I completely miss the crack where the weld is supposed to be. Darrel
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 6:42am
Dang Darrel, I thought that was just me. That just aggravates the heck out of me. The self darkening helmet helps a little bit.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:08pm
I have the same problem, especially if the sun is behind the helmet.  I started putting a bright light onto the area being welded to be able to see the crack better.  The wire feed welder sure makes me look like a good welder compared to the stick!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 6:15pm
This was this weeks progress. DO NOT look too close at the first pass root pass welds, the majority of them will get a second lay over.

[]

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:11am
Here is the most current progress, second pass welds are done inside bucket, root passes made to teeth:

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:43pm
That is a LOT of welding..........all STICK or you using a wire feed in places ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:57pm
Looking good. Thanks for the progress report. Darrel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:50pm
DMiller, That is a lot of work there to cut the old off and then replace and reweld it all...but it will look great when your done and got it all painted up and lookin like new.
... Was just thinking, it might have been easier to call Mel up and seen if he had a really clean bucket in his parts yard... and gone to California on a trip. ... But that's a little late to bethinking that thought now...
   Darrel, Leon, an John, you guys kinda sound like what I am experiencing for the last couple years... an I keep blamin the weld splattered glass in my helmet for not seeing so good. They say there are magnifying lenses to put in your helmets to see better, I got some bifocals for reading which I never use and never think of trying when I am welding either.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 7:53am
So far ALL stick welded, E7018. Root passes 3/32", cover passes 1/8". No plasma torch either, all cuts have been done the old fashioned Acetylene and O2 cutting torch 'Gas Axe'. Did buy a new suitcase DC stick/TIG capable welder runs off 240V AC. Nice but expensive and very handy in the shop unlike the old buzz box welders I have had.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
Coming right along there Dave. Looks like you'll have'er done by good dozing time. Mu Hillbilly buddy and I plan on coming down there and do some fishing when the river rises. Come down and we'll swap some lies about fish even if we don't catch any.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:09am
Closing in on surgery date for ME. Have the bucket well enough along now to let sit for a while. I have finished these side welds and have flipped it back to the upside down but is also closing in on installing for use.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 7:05pm
Finish passes completed, bucket set back onto the bottom and paint going on.  Have rust converter to use on mold board first leave that dry and then paint it as well.  Just rattle cans for now, when finally get to rebuilding the rest of the old girl and making tractor show presentable will use real spray gun and heavy enamel on the whole unit.

Not my prettiest work but will do for working.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:33pm
It may not be as pretty as new but it will do a great job and last a long, long time!
Good work, glad you are able to do it again.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:59pm
I concur, looks great!!.  Come on out here and you can join our restoration team!!  That will make 3 of us.(LOL) 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
it looks good to me too!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:33am
Can't them old Missouri boys, right Dave?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
Would love to come out that way Mel unfortunately the little woman is kinda stuck on MO!!

I watch and admire those rebuilds you guys perform, only wish my little operation was as good!  The three of us old MO boys(Me, Myself and I) just do not seem to come up with enough time and money at the same time!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 3:43pm
Looks good don't scratch it up now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
Another add, quick disconnects on the MP so I can cut it loose fairly easy.  Small project when I started, had new hoses and new fittings to replace the old hoses EXCEPT the one fitting I knew size was #12 JIC 3/4", the one I had not taken loose was #14 JIC 7/8" of which good luck finding a fitting #14 to 1" NPT, they do not seem to exist yet do on hose ends.  SO, hack the old hose fitting and built my own.

Edited by DMiller - 19 Apr 2017 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic