This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I killed my payloader but good this morning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I killed my payloader but good this morning
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:03am
My 645 has really been one problem after another all fall and winter, and I thought I may have finally gotten the upper hand on it. But it told me different this morning. Was pushing some snow with it to try to find some bare ground to feed the cows on, and she let out a gut wrenching sound, quit moving, and now she has one bad hammering sound going on between the engine and transmission, whenever the engine is running. My guess is something in the torque converter area is in a very bad way. Scrap iron anybody. ...? Darrel
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:29am
I remember looking at an old Allis Chalmers that was for sale that had a large hole in the block where it thru a rod. The owner cut the rod off leaving the large end on the crankshaft. It still ran and didn't sound too awful. I didn't buy it. It takes a lot to put down an AC
Good Luck
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
sometimes the worst sounds are the easy fixes . 

IF you weren't so far away a 645 could have new owner .. liked the machines when I ran one 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:54am
Oh, I absolutely love it when it's up and running good. I can move more snow with that in 5 minutes, than I can with the farm loader tractor all day long. I have only owned this for a little over two years, and have discovered more stupid things that has been done to it by someone who worked on it in the past than anything I've ever seen. I wish I could find another one just like it, that I could afford. Rebuilt tranny for it is 7,500. And if I put one in it, I would do something with the engine at the same time. When the smoke all cleared, I'd probably have 20 grand into it. In all honesty, I'd be ok putting the 20 grand into it, if I had it. Darrel
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:19pm
I spose yer gonna work on it outside too? better gits Cody to haul that new machine he just got out to ya!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

I spose yer gonna work on it outside too? better gits Cody to haul that new machine he just got out to ya!

no, I am going to haul it to your house, and you're going to fix it for me. And finance it through your Shameless National Bank and Trust. (The word "trust" is used rather loosely here) Lol Darrel
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:06pm
Shameless National Bank & Pretty White
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:27pm
Yes Shameless is more into snow "banks", then he is into the financial type.

I went back and started the payloader up again tonight to see if the hydraulics worked. They don't. I don't know exactly what couples the engine to the transmission, but whatever it is, I am sure that it is toast. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

sometimes the worst sounds are the easy fixes . 

IF you weren't so far away a 645 could have new owner .. liked the machines when I ran one 

Coke, you saying that if I lived out near Minn/St Paul, I would be able to sell this pretty easily. .? Or you saying if I was close to you, you'd buy it. .? Either way, I guess it's kind of irrelevant, because it's not out there, my wife says it's not getting sold (she has a few dollars into it, also), and around here, I don't think I could give it away. If money wasn't an object, it would be in a shop already, getting a rebuilt transmission and engine. Rebuilt transmission is 7,500 bucks. And if Steve Fisher from Sleepy Eye would still have one of them government surplus 3500 engines for sale at 3,500 bucks, then 11 K would buy the two key components. I know there are lots and lots of other stuff that would add up fast, but even if a person got up into the 20 K range, and it lasted another 20 years, that'd only be a thousand bucks a year. Not bad for a good payloader. Darrel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm
I agree with Coke...could be an easier fix than you think. Once you pull the engine out you'll most likely know right away what's up. The biggest hurdle is getting the courage to pull the engine...it's kind of labour intensive. You need to focus on how much fun it will be to have it running again!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:39pm
Darrel.  i looked a the parts book and its likely the flexible disks that couple the flywheel to the converter.   From what i see the hydraulics would drive off the accessory gear on the back of the converter, so if they arnt working it might be as simple as pulling the engine and getting the new drive disks.  Converter drive section starts on p. 73 if you dont have a paper copy

Edited by CAL(KS) - 17 Jan 2017 at 1:40pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:06pm
is the 840 that much dif?
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
Was looking at couple posts on the machine - says the engine was the weak spot . Replacement engines installed and make good machines 
 I ran one for one summer a friend had bought it on a lease buyout . 
Well after 22 months of ownership - he couldn't make last 2 payments and turned it back in - heck for the 2 payments left I could have owned it but he never offered 
 Hard now in this area to find anyone who even knows AC made construction equipment - only a few of us diehards that know any name other than CAT 
 Was a scrap yard in St Paul that was running 2 of them in yard - but place is gone now as well  as loaders . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:00pm

I'm not sure how allis numbered there payloaders. I now 545,645, 745, ,945 all have a lot in common. Not sure how the ones that end in 40 fit into the picture. If I could find my Norm Swinford construction equipment book, that would help. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:06pm
Cal, I was looking through my service manual, and I came to the same conclusion as you on the flex plate being the problem. Looks like pulling the engine and fixing it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I sure don't like the idea of pulling an engine and putting it back in when I know full well that the engine should get some attention that I can't afford before it goes back in. And since the engine would be out anyway, the transmission should be replaced at the same time. Darrel
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I'm not sure how allis numbered there payloaders. I now 545,645, 745, ,945 all have a lot in common. Not sure how the ones that end in 40 fit into the picture. If I could find my Norm Swinford construction equipment book, that would help. Darrel

840 was an inter-departmental fight, within construction and industrial departments of AC.

it was built in Deerfield, but engineered at Topeka...

Main difference is that the 845 never came out , they increased capacity in the 45 series, and it came out as the 945, a 6 yd machine, the 840 was smaller, a 1.75 yard machine...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 2:51am
Looks like our weather may be above 0 for at least the next 10 days, so I think I am going to pull the engine right where it died, and see what damage, or fix I can put to it. It would be tough to try to pull the big old gal anywhere due to the nature of the place where it died, and all of the snow around here. 185 should lift the engine right out. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 5:44am
yep...and lose about nuff screws and bolts to make it worth while!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 2:14pm
You go for it Darrel while you have courage and motivation! The longer something like that is left the more will power it takes to get started. 
I remember talking to a guy that bought a brand new 645...he was so impressed with it. When he knew I had a 745 he mentioned that there was a somewhat common challenge that used to occur to do with converter/ring gear/transmission drive on some 645's and I suppose the design would be the same on 545, 645 & 745 at the time. I never did find out the specifics but I wish I would have. This guy is dead and gone now but there has to be someone out there that has run into the same problem that could contribute helpful information.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 5:03pm
Thanks for the encouragement, Eric. I hope that my son can gather up a couple of his motor head buddies to join in on the fun. I just can't climb around on that thing like I would need to be able to, in order to do it without some young help. I can't stress enough how well I like this machine when it's working good. I blame moat of my problems that I've had with it on the previous owner, and not on the design of the machine. Darrel
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:09pm
according to my book,there are 3 flex drive disc plates(stacked together)that bolt to the flywheel and are bolted to the center portion of the converter.Probably broke something in there.Maybe after something (bolts)came loose?..or were not tightened by the PO?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:28pm
I gots a good engine ona combine you might be able to adapt?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 12:14am
Shameless...you got me thinking, couldn't you convert a combine into an awesome snowblower?? Don't know if you get snow where you live but Darrel could blow snow with it where he lives...now that his loader is down...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:59am
shucks Eric...ole Darrell has a snow blower and can puts it on his big tractor, but he won't does it! and yes, lots of farmers have adapted old combines and uni-harvesters to snow blower rigs!
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:53am
Good luck Darrel, keep plugging away and you will get it accomplished. Maybe you need to offer your son and his buddies some beverages to entice them to help you
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:32pm
yeah...Darrell...that always worked for me what farmboy says!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:34pm
You means like Coke or Mountain Dew, or Pepsi. Stuff like that. .? Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:23pm
uh......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:54am
More likely hot chocolate, with something else in it to make it smooth!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:04am
Oh, duh me. Hot chocolate with marshmallows in it. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic