This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo A Stock C?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo A Stock C?
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 3:48pm
My 9 year old wants to turbo a C so bad he can taste it. Will be picking up a project C this spring. I know Paul has his turboed CA. This will be more of a play toy than puller. Stock cubes, stock RPM's. Haven't done a lot of research, but it looks like a Garret GT12 would be about right. Really only want 5-10 lbs of boost. Maybe shoot for 30 horse vs the stock 23ish. I know I'd need to fab a manifold, probably make the oil pan bigger, find a way to feed oil to it, and try to figure out which carb is going to work the best. I suppose I could always contact Keystone and see if they could do something, but I'm up for the challenge of doing it myself.
AaronSEIA
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 12:44pm
I saw your thread, and I'm interested in turbo'ing my B. I''d like to leave it mostly stock. It has CA pistons and a D14 carb right now, but I'd like to try to get at least 30 horse out of it. Anyone have any advice? Thanks
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:34pm
I would not install a turbo w/o minimum oil pressure of  35-40 psi for the turbo to live. That is going to be hard to do with a B/C block with the oil flow needed.   The manifolds could be hogged out and fitted w/flanges, modified, but are the least of your worry with rods- rod bearings that are not pressure lubed...  belt driven oil pump?  10# boost is dangerous IMHO  probably 2-3# will obtain your goal , short tem..  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:29am
This may just be a pipe dream. Certainly the oil pan will need to be made bigger. Oil for the turbo would be supplied by some kind of pump, probably mechanical, but I have seen electric pumps used as well. 3-5 lbs would be fine with me. Is it possible to pressure lube the crank? Did the later D small engines use full pressure lube? I'm not after power, just foolishly spending money to make a 10 year old boy grin when she's on the dyno.
AaronSEIA
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

I would not install a turbo w/o minimum oil pressure of  35-40 psi for the turbo to live. That is going to be hard to do with a B/C block with the oil flow needed.   The manifolds could be hogged out and fitted w/flanges, modified, but are the least of your worry with rods- rod bearings that are not pressure lubed...  belt driven oil pump?  10# boost is dangerous IMHO  probably 2-3# will obtain your goal , short tem..  

I would not even try to turbo a BE/CE block for all the reasons above. I have done it on the smaller D series block, with the full flow filtering oil system. This block has lots of advantages and address all of the BE/CE shortcomings.  Here is a picture of my setup, which I would consider selling. If either of you is truly interest send me PM with your email address. I can send you more details and pictures. I have also used a reworked P/S pump to have about 50 psi in the entire oiling system.

Edited by PaulB - 07 Feb 2017 at 3:48pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:27pm
I would buy him safety glasses and ear muffs...  :-)   better check out the psi required to run a turbo... and Paulb that took some TIME - good looking job.  what is the waste gate set at and what kind of HP did you get.   The turbo was off a?
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 7:13pm
Thinking the plan is dead. May try to find a styled WC and a Keystone kit. Or...The kid thinks a diesel C would be pretty cool. Never know around here.
AaronSEIA
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 12:05am
put a 4cyl' turbo gm motor in. with picker side tin on it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic