This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 rebuild progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:56am
I have to keep everyone ready to "Tune in next week" lol

Your wife WANTS you to go look at a tractor??? Sounds like you're bothering her too much in the house.
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:04am
Distributor
     First off I’m not a timing expert, all I know is that what I did below must work because, well.. hint hint.. I’ll leave you hanging lol
     Before I started, I removed the #1 spark plug and held my finger over the hole and had a friend slowly turn over the engine to find TDC. He stopped turning just as the pressure broke. Looking up in the section cover, we perfect on TDC.
     As usual, to install the distributor assembly, I cleaned the gasket surfaces and put a thin bead of #2 permatex on both sides of the gasket and slid the distributor in place.
     The manual says you don’t have to worry about timing the main distributor drive gear to the cam gear. So I didn’t. I pulled the cap, rotor, and dust cover off, then took out the bolt and clamps so I could pull the distributor out. I cleaned it up a little and pulled out and used one of the last new gaskets from my kit. The electrical terminal for the coil was at about 10:00 position, so I slid the distributor back in a couple time until I found the right tooth to make it almost opposite the coil terminal. Then I rotated a little until I got exactly opposite and tightened down the clamps. I don’t remember pulling the distributor out and rotating last time I had this off 7 years ago, so I must’ve played with the drive gear and cam gear until they were right. I suppose either way works.
     I set the points per the manual (can’t remember spacing now), then put on cap on. I hooked up the plug wires starting with the #1 wire conning to where the rotor was pointing at about 4:00. The rest of the wires connect counterclockwise according to the firing order 1-2-4-3.

Oil Lines
Next I hooked up all my new oil line. Everything fit well and nothing rubbed. We’ve had some strangely warm days here so I even managed to get them painted on a 60 degree Saturday in February.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:47pm
Looks terrific! Bet it'll sound like a million bucks when running. :)
WC, CA, D14, WD45
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:04pm
When did you start this project? Took me 10 months to get my engine done and you started before me I think.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Nice work Dave! Good luck, and it looks like you are close to starting this 45 up!
The wife wants me to go look at a WD45 at a auction in town this Saturday. Its rough. No carb and the exhaust manifold has a can over it. Narrow front end. Tires look poor to fair.
Nothing special, just a well rusted old Allis!
I don't think I need another project right now.

Regards,
 Chris
C'mon Chris.......you've got LOTS of time to do that.....right after the Maple syrup, and then the.....Honey-Do-List.  Besides, you need extra parts........LOL Big smile
You can NEVER have too many Allis tractors......

Originally posted by 79fordblake 79fordblake wrote:

When did you start this project? Took me 10 months to get my engine done and you started before me I think.
C'mon Blake, it's one thing to be poking somebody in the eye on the shops forum, but that was nasty...Poke him back 6 times Dave and say he can't read any more of this...Wink Wink Big smile

ALL kidding aside........Looks GREAT Dave!!  Keep em coming!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by 79fordblake 79fordblake wrote:

I started way back in November 2015.
I also went through the torque tube as well. http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120328&title=how-to-or-not-to-split-wd45-replace-seals

BUT can anyone guess what part of this project took the longest??
The being married part
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
Hour Meter
     I thought it would be fun to install an hour meter so I could keep track of my hours on the rebuild. Sometimes you get fooled about how many or few hours you actually put on a tractor.
I bought HOBBS Honeywell 85094 hour meter for $25.
     I looked and thought for awhile and finally decided to mount it behind the battery box to the left of the Traction Boost gauge. I got a thin piece of steel banding, bent it and mounted it similar to the traction boost gauge. The meter hangs on the banding and is attached just by 2 zip ties. I would like a little more factory look, but this was simple and you hardly notice it. At least it looks better than the hose clamp I had holing it on at first. I grounded the hour meter to the bolt it mounts to. For a switched power lead, I decided to run a wire to the coil and share the positive coil terminal.
     If I forget and leave the switch it will still read hours even if the engine’s not running, but at least it’ll give me a good sense of how much use I’m putting on the tractor.

Boy, the hour meter doesn't look that crooked in person, but it sure does in that picture.

Edited by Allis dave - 22 Mar 2017 at 7:16am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:30am
Heck I don't know when mine is ever gonna be complelty finished. I just finished up buying all the parts for the brakes and both final drives. I've been busy the last couple weeks working on a plow for plow day April 8.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:06pm
I'm going to skip my explanation on how to install the radiator, alternator, starter, and water pump. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be rebuilding an engine. LOL
Only thing I think is noteworthy on the radiator is to make sure that the rubber mounts that the radiator sits on are good.

Priming the Oil System
For initial fill, I used 10W-30 John Deere breakin oil into the engine. From what I understand, this is basically lower quality oil to help parts wear into place a little quicker. I poured some on top the head to lube everything good, before tightening the valve cover, then dumped the remainder of 6 quarts into the sump.

I bought a small transfer pump (looks like a small bicycle pump) to try to prime the pump and oil galleys a little. I held the hose tight to both opening on the top of the filter base with the filer off. I pumped several pumps and could hear air and oil squirting inside. Maybe it'll help everything get oil a little faster.

I put a magnet heater on the oil pan for about 30 minutes to try to warm and thin the oil a little since it was only about 40 degrees outside.

Startup
I'm not sure I've ever been so nervous in my life as I triple checked everything. Is it going to start, seize up, have oil pressure, leak, or run perfect???

I charged the battery about 2 weeks ago and hooked it up.
Jumped in the seat and with the switch off, turned it over a couple times. I heard a tink tink tink. I found where the 5-blade fan was barely hitting my lower radiator hose clamp. I turned the clamp around and tried again. Everything sounds good now. It turns over pretty slow with those 175 pistons.
Flipped on the switch, tried several times and nothing.
Got the battery charger and let it charged for a couple minutes and wow, it turns over fast now. Fired up after 3 rounds or so.

Everything sounds great and feels smooth. Oil pressure takes about 5 seconds build up then pegs the old Allis gauge which is suppose to mean 30PSI.

Hydraulics
I already put my pressure gauge on the hydraulic remote. I checked that pressure and get 3500-4000 PSI. After the 4th time of having the pump off and rebuilding and adding shims, I finally replaced the unload valve and it looks like that fixed it. Hopefully now I can finally pickup that rotary hoe and 9' mounted disk.

I varied the throttle from 1/4 to full until it got up to temp. I took the timing and verified that the timing advance is working, then I shut it down. It takes about 5 seconds for the oil pressure to bleed off. I think I could hear the oil squirting a little as it bled off. Hopefully that's normal for a full flow system. Hourmeter says .3

Adjustments and Breakin?
The next morning I tightened the manifold nuts about 1/8 turn to 20lbs again. I started it again just for a minute to double check the hydraulic pressure again before I pulled the pump one last time to install that pesky torque tube to clutch housing bolt that I missed. No blue smoke on startup and oil pressure was about the same. This weekend I'm going to pull the rocker arms off again and retorque the head and reset valve lash.

Then I need to start it up again and actually adjust the timing. It needs to be at 23 degrees which is marked on the flywheel. Do I just hookup the timing light to the #1 cylinder then rotate the distributor at WOT until the 23 degree mark is aligned with the mark in the inspection hole?

For breakin, I planned on putting 6 round bales on the hay wagon and taking about a 2 hour drive after letting it warm up to temp.
Then I thought about letting it run the PTO generator on the house for a couple hours. In the old milk cooler and Harvestor unloader days it would've probably almost maxed out the 45 on power (used to make the Massey 235 get hot), but now it should be a pretty light load. While it's on the generator, I thought I could hook the vacuum gauge up to the manifold and to use that to adjust the carb.

Then let it cool, retorque the head a final time, set the valves one last time, put the hood back on, and keep checking the manifold nuts until they stop moving. Then change out the breakin oil after maybe 20 hours, and run a compression test to see where my pressure is at.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Edited by Allis dave - 23 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:57pm
Dave, I can't comment on your break-in plan, but CONGRATULATIONS on the successful start-up! Thumbs Up That's excellent news after all your hard work. Well done!

BTW.....we'd love to see a video.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:56pm
a timing light at full throttle would be more accurate than point-break setting....hope you marked the flywheel so you can see it with the light.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 6:59am
That's what I meant, running the tractor at WOT, adjust distributor until mark is in the center of inspection holes. The mark is very easy to see. It's marked with a chisel and yellow paint marker.
Top of page 3 shows pictures of it.
Thanks for the comments guys.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:34am
Put on the finishing touches yesterday and drove it out of the sick bay. Looks a little funny cause the hood it still off, but I still want to retorque the head once more.

I retorqued the head cold after the first warming cycle and got maybe 1/10 of a turn out of the bolts. I set the timing to 23 degrees, It  ran a little better, faster rpms, at about 26-30 degrees, but I backed it back down to 23. The timing by ear test seems to match the timing light test. 

It still has a little vibration. I was hoping for better after having it balanced, but I think it's better than it was.

Edited by Allis dave - 26 Mar 2017 at 8:28am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:26am
I was very pleased with how mine runs with the rotating assembly balanced. Runs smooth as silk.
It sounds great with the D17 7.25 pistons, D17 spring and Nelson muffler. For now my timing is at factory WD45 setting and seems to be fine. I'll watch how it does at plow day coming up and see if it needs to be turned down.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:17pm
flywheel,pressure plate,front pulley & shell of hand clutch all got spun when doing mine
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Well Dave, Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

GREAT job, great pics detailing everything and it should go into the

Farm Equipment -Knowledge Base

where it belongs to compliment your

"WD45 Full Flow Oiling Conversion - How To"

GREAT JOB!!!  Good luck and enjoy your new toy!
Thanks for all the detail and the pics.  They are invaluable to a lot of us!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:20am
Thanks for the kind words guys. What makes it a good thread is everyone's pointers along the way. I know I went through Marv's thread several times too while working. Can't wait to actually get using it for something.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
Dave,
If i ever do one of these I will probably bug you! Congrats on the uneventful start up!
You have done a exceptional job on the documentation and details for the 45 engine build.
Since I am not farming, my project would be to get a little more hp for local pulls in one of the WD's.
You coming by to plow some this year?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Mar 2017 at 7:36pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:46am
Hi Chris,
I'd love to make it over to plow a little more this year but I don't think I'm going to make it that way this spring. Went to the in-laws for Christmas. I guess I should've stopped and plowed snow!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:37pm
Dave,
 That 45 of yours is looking good! Nice work young man! I may be plowing without you this year!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:27am
Took the 45 out for a breakin drive yesterday. I put 5 round bales on a wagaon and pulled them around for about 2 hours. 2.5 hours on the hour meter now.

I let the tractor warm up to temp then adjusted the carb idle screw. I turned it out about a full turn (leaner) from where it was until the tractor started to falter at idle, then turned it in just a little. On the first couple take offs, it wanted to cough and almost die under hard load. I screwed out the main adjustment screw about a 1/4 turn and that seemed to sure it. 

After about 20 of driving, it suddenly developed a miss. Temperature was good and oil pressure still had the gauge pegged. I took a walk around the tractor and the #4 lug wire came off the spark plug. put it back on and away we go.

When letting it cool down at low idle for a few minutes before shutting off I noticed the oil pressure would drop to about 10 lbs or 2/3 across the gauge. If I sped the engine up a letting it would peg the gauge again. Seems normal to me with warm 10w-30 oil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic