This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 rebuild progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:07am
Flywheel Timing
I got the engine back from the painters and finally got a little time to start working on it again. Boy does that guy make a nice paint job!

I needed to mark the flywheel for 25 degrees BTDC for the high compression pistons instead of the 30 degree WD45 30 degrees. I actually chose to mark at 23 degrees. There was a service bulletin once that stated to retard timing to 23 degrees is you had detonation issues. I chose to just start there.

I downloaded a printable timing wheel and printed it out to 11.75" to match the flywheel. I taped it to a piece of cardboard and laid it out on the flywheel.

I took a chisel and marked 23 degrees. I did this on both sided of the flywheel because I wasn't sure which was TDC and which was 180 degrees off and BTDC. I'll have to figure that out after I get the pushrods and rocker arm installed.

Sponsored Links

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:09pm
Looks amazing. Thanks for adding all the pics. Makes we want to build a 45 now!
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:53am
Well, It been almost 2 months ago since I did this work, but I'll post an update.
I managed to get the block dropped back into the chassis.

I made an angle iron up to bolt onto the head with 2 eyelets on the ends. That let me put the leveler onto the cherry picker to tip the front of the block up and down. It's kind of a pain with the wide front because you can't take out the front engine support. Made it easy to drop the back down, slide the flywheel into the bellhousing, then drop the front down onto the support. I've put this motor in 3 times now and this was by far the best way to do it alone without scratching any paint.

After tightening up the back bolts, I tried to slide a feeler gauge between the front engine support and the bottom mount on the timing cover but it wouldn't fit. So I don't think I need any shims there. There's weren't any there, when I pulled the motor the 1st time.

My only regret? I should've put on the front pulley first...
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:47pm
Dave,
 Looking real good! Your not going to need to look for a D17. This 45 engine will do the same work!
I have been wondering where you have been?
Thanks for the update!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 7:16pm
Looking good. All my parts are still at machine shop and the price is still rising. Hope to have it together and running in about two weeks.
Where did you print that wheel from?

Edited by 79fordblake - 14 Dec 2016 at 7:27pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:10am
Making huge progress on the engine now! A little sarcasm…

Replace Rocker Arm Cork Plugs
The old cork plugs in the end of the rocker arm shaft were pretty bad so I replaced them.

I put a screw driver through each of the outer peelstools to keep most everything in place when I removed the cotter pins on the ends.

To remove the old corks I put a small drill bit through the oil hole so I could push the cork farther in. Then I easily screwed a wood screw into the cork and it slid right out.
After trying a few different tapered cork sizes, I finally found that a 11/16 sized cork on the large OD worked best. I was able to drive in a ¾ cork but it peeled of the edges of the cork.

I measured and cut a small amount off the short end of the cork so it would slide past the cotter pin but be short enough to not block the oil passage hole. I oiled up the cork and work it in by hand until it was flush, then push it in the rest of the way with a 5/8 bolt. I kept the small drill bit in the oil hole so I could feel and not drive it in too far.

Repeat on the other end, put back in the cotter pins and I’m ready to get this thing installed on the head

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 8:44am
It’s nice to be making a little progress again. It was beautiful here last weekend and made tinkering fun again.

Rocker Arm
I started off by hitting all the head studs again with the torque wrench. I was happy to find that after 3 months, none of the nuts budged. Nothing stretching so far.

I carefully seated each pushrod into the tappet and placed the pushrods in the same position they were in when I removed them. I put the rocker arm assembly in place and since there was no torque spec for it I torqued it to 25lbs. I put the oil baffle on and a job well done.
Using a feeler gauge I tightened the valves until a felt a slight drag at .015 Cold. The book says .013 warm. The consensus is that it better to have these valves a little loose rather than a little tight and burn a valve. I have to agree with that. I didn’t spend a terrible amount of time making sure they were perfect because after a couple heat cycles, I’ll have to pull the arm off again to retorque the head anyway.

The radius on the rocker arms was a little wore, but not too bad. I was going to have them reground anyway, but none of the local shops had the tools to regrind them anymore.

I’m a little bothered because not all of the rockers line up exactly on each valve. Some of them are right on the valve stem edge. I thought about pulling all the rockers off and pressing them a little one way or the other on the bushing to line them up, but it’s ran this way for 60 years, so I’m not messing with it. I was also worried about changing the wear spot without having them re-radiused.

JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:06am
Mighty fine work. Rockers are off center so they spin the valves. Make sense?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:44am
hmm, I never knew that. I just figured someone was a little sloppy on setup. I could see how catching the corner of the radius would rotate the valve a little. The exhaust valves have roto-caps on them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 6:29pm
That's weird they couldn't do it. I had my rocker arm tips reground.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
Dave thanks for the update! engine is looking real good! Did you sell your spare engine parts?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:45am
Blake, I didn't look around too hard. Tried two local shops that couldn't. Too many people using rollers now.

Thanks Chris, slow and surely...lol
I did sell my other sleeve and piston kit. No one interested, then about 3 people all at the same time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 3:13pm
Manifold Studs
I purchased a manifold stud kit with brass nuts from a vendor on this site (who will remain nameless).I screwed in all of the studs and test fit the manifold only to realize that the studs are incorrect. The threads should be about 5/8” on one end and ¾” on the other, but these are just generic automotive studs with about 1 1/2 “ on each end. They would work, but I’d have to play around to get the correct amount threaded into the block. I didn’t try to return them because I purchased them over a year ago, but I did call the vendor and tell them know they were incorrect. They said they were aware, but unable to get studs with the correct threads.

I like the correct studs that bottom into the head. Then I know I have a good tight stud that won’t turn or leak. I know that Steiner’s sells the correct studs because I‘ve bought some there before and they look correct in the pictures. The correct studs are coming in the mail.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:13am
Exhaust Manifold
I got my new set of manifold studs in the mail from Steiners. One end was threaded 5/8” and the other end was threaded 3/4”. I screwed them in finger tight for a test fit with the 3/4 end in the block. The studs were a hair short so I reversed them and everything looks good.

The painter tried to mask off the ports but they weren’t perfect. I was afraid they might leak so I took the die grinder with a scotch bright pad and cleaned them up.

I tried to get fancy and get the gaskets and ports match up perfectly. I traced the gaskets on the head to line up the manifold to. It was a waste of time. Holding the manifold up there you could tell within .010 where the lines were anyway. I could tell just enough to get it centered which was centered on the studs anyway.

After my test fit. I smeared a layer of #2 permatex on the threads of the studs and screwed them into the block finger tight. You need some kind of sealer on studs to keep them from seeping coolant.

I put a couple small dabs of #2 permatex to glue the gaskets to the backing pieces. Then I put a couple dabs of the other side of the gasket and centered them on the manifold. Hopefully this keeps them from falling off when I put on the manifold.

Then I lined up the manifold, slid it in place and only one gasket fell off. I used some washers and the set of brass nuts that came with my first stud set. The manual said to torque to 20lbs so that’s what I did. Looks good to me.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:13am
Re-check manifold nut torque every morning when cold until they quit moving. These modern day non-asbestos gaskets aren't nearly as good as the old originals.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:15am
Valve cover
Not very exciting, but I thought there might be a couple guys out there like me that didn't know that the oil breather comes off. When I painted the cover 7 years ago, the breather was rusted on so hard I thought it was welded or soldered on.

I wanted to clean out the breather but it was rusted on pretty tight. I tried prying it off but just started bending the thin breather material. I finally laid the cover upside down on 2 2x6’s, stuck a broom handle in the breather and tapped it off. Only left a small dent in it. I let it soak in the parts washer overnight, then wiped it out with a rag as best I could. Then I swished around a lot of brake cleaner and gasoline until it finally came out clean. Better than $38 for a new one.

Edited by Allis dave - 09 Feb 2017 at 7:18am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:51am
Dave,
 Good progress on the 45 engine! Those oil covers never get taken off on one of these engines, so I guess they can be stuck pretty tight. Looks like a new one! I used masking tape to hold those pesky gaskets in place then pulled it off when down close to the head.
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:42pm
Boy oh boy.......LOTS of NICE work and NICE pics!!  I'm learning shortcuts as you go Dave........THANKS!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:26pm
Oil Lines
Almost all of the oil lines have to be made new or reworked for the full flow conversion. I only reused the original D17 line that goes from the enlarged port in the block to the filter base. Make sure you get your lines plumbed correctly to the filter base so you don’t run oil backwards through the filter.

I was able to use the original D17 line and fittings going from the base to the block. I did have a little trouble because turning the 90 degree fitting into the block, it would hit the block protrusion where the relief valve is located. I haven’t heard of any other who did this conversion have that trouble, so maybe my whole or block is just a hair different. I was able to grind a little off the fitting to make it work. I’m not thrilled because now the brass compression fitting nut only has about 3 threads left to bite to. Hopefully it will tighten and seal up without stripping the threads.

For the 3/8” line going from the filter base to the old relief valve plug, I used a 3/8” x 12” piece of brake line. I bought a 90 degree ¼ NPT to 3/8” tube compression fitting to thread into the relief plug. For the filter base end I bought a 45 degree 1/4NPT to 3/8” double flare tube fitting. You could use a compression fitting here if you wanted, but I just decided to use the flare that was already on the line. I was careful to bend the line so it wouldn’t rub against the return line. I cut about 3” off the block/compression fitting side of the line to get it the perfect length. It took a couple tries of cutting off about 1/8 to get just the right length

I used 3/16 brake line for the oil line going from the filter base to the head and then over to the governor cover. I bought a 90 degree 1/8” NPT to 3/16” compression fitting for the base and a 90 degree 1/8” NPT street elbow to thread into the block. I reused one of the original “T” fitting and threaded it into the elbow. I also reused the original fitting in the governor cover. With the street elbow I was able to keep the lines out of the way of the spark plugs without making extra loops in the lines.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:49am
Dave, you sure are making progress!  Looks GREAT, keep those pics coming!  Nice work!!
"Allis-Express"
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:26am
Have you tried installing the steering shaft?
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:54am
I ran a piece of rod through the steering shaft carrier and u-joint while I was bending to make sure there was enough clearance. I put the steering wheel back on after the picture and the was an inch or two of clearance.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:38pm
Dave,
 Maybe I missed it where is the nut on the 90 on the lower line??
Nice clean installation! Thanks for the update! looking real good!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Dave,
 Maybe I missed it where is the nut on the 90 on the lower line??
Nice clean installation! Thanks for the update! looking real good!
Regards,
 Chris

I knew someone would catch that and it had to be you!! Lol
I was just mocking it up so I didn't have the nut on. Since the lines are so stiff I have to take on and off the base to put the lines on.
They're off now for painting when I have a warm enough day that I feel like trying it. It's supposed to be almost 60 this weekend so sounds like a good chance! Can't wait to hear it run
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:04pm
Chris, I was that too, but figured he was just testing the fit.  I noticed the other tube too.  Doesn't look like it has the compression ring and nut on it either.  I even thought that maybe he soldiered it in there.....
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:05am

I've been making a lot of progress the last month, I just haven't made time to post much. Time to catch up!

Steering Gearbox seal

I noticed that even though I replaced the seals on the steering shaft going into the steering gearbox about 7 years ago, they were leaking again and leaving an annoying puddle.

With the radiator off I had just enough room to slide the shaft out without either pulling the motor or gearbox. I made a new gasket to replace the shims that were removed last time I had this apart. I bought new outer seal retainers and cork seals from Sandy Lake. $10 for the cork and $40 for the retainers. Ouch…

I put some #2 permatex on the retainer and housing to make sure it doesn’t leak around the outside. Then carefully drove them in with a seal driver. I cleaned and oiled the steering shaft good and carefully slid everything in place. I hope it stays sealed for awhile this time.

Edited by Allis dave - 20 Mar 2017 at 8:06am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:56am
Carb and Air Cleaner
Got the Carb and air cleaner on.

I now have a retaining ring inside the air cleaner to hold the baffle in place thanks to Laddy Benes (Orange Knight)

Everything is pretty straight forward except it ALWAYS takes me about 20 to get that sinking fuel in place. Takes me forever to get it turned and routed just right between the carb and sediment bowl.
The next longest part is getting all the linkage and all those tiny cotter keys in place.

I adjusted the linkage per the service manual. I can’t remember for sure, but something like, slide the throttle lever all the way up, then pull back the linkage from the governor and tighten the set screw on the right side and below the gas tank.

While hooking up the throttle linkage, I realized that I had a bracket spun upside down on the distributor side of the motor. Fixing that caused the throttle shaft and my new oil line from the oil filter base to the head to rub. I had to make a new oil line for that. I’ll post updates pics later.

I screwed the power jet screw all the way in, then out 1 ¼ turn for initial startup like the user manual said.

Edited by Allis dave - 20 Mar 2017 at 12:07pm
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
And you're going to leave us hanging with "...screwed the power jet all the way in, then out 1/4 turn for initial startup..."???!!? LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 6:01pm
I had to turn my load needle out quite a few turns after the overhaul and D17 pistons.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Nice work Dave! Good luck, and it looks like you are close to starting this 45 up!
The wife wants me to go look at a WD45 at a auction in town this Saturday. Its rough. No carb and the exhaust manifold has a can over it. Narrow front end. Tires look poor to fair.
Nothing special, just a well rusted old Allis!
I don't think I need another project right now.

Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic