This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No start B ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telephoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No start B ??
    Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 3:10pm
Took the magneto to the shop and they tested and said it was fine. Tractor not starting or for that matter not even popping. Next,figured it had to be fuel,cleaned and installed rebuild kit.Still no fire or even smell of gas on plugs.I removed drain plug from bottom of carb and I had gas. So I pulled it again and purchased a ultra sonic cleaner and ran it through 4 cleaning cycles.Put it back on and still no gas to engine.I checked for compression and had it good. Removed it again and double checked every orvis.Put it back on and no change.I want so bad to hear it pop or maybe run.Is there something I'm missing? When do you know it's time to buy another carb.
Sponsored Links

Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:04pm
Often the problem is the bottom jet being clogged.  You can use starting fluid and if the tractor hits, you will know it is the carburetor.  
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:37pm
If it is a carburetor issue you can remove the carburetor and mist starting fluid into the manifold to start the tractor. Have you checked when you get spark on number plug wire that you are on the compression stroke and that the TDC line is in the inspection hole?
Also before you installed the magneto did you check to make sure the  drive was positioned horizontal at TDC in the inspection hole. You can not install the magneto at TDC but that is when it snaps the magneto cold.

I would start by checking every detail to remove any doubt before trying to start the engine.  You need spark on the compression stroke at the correct time and when fuel is added the engine will run.

telephoneman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telephoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 7:45am
I have the fire mark in the window for flywheel.My magneto slot is at 11 o'clock not horizontal. I have a F/M J4B3 magneto. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by telephoneman telephoneman wrote:

I have the fire mark in the window for flywheel.My magneto slot is at 11 o'clock not horizontal. I have a F/M J4B3 magneto. 

That's 2 things you need to fix before it will start. Fire mark is for timing it while it is running when the spark is advance.  Center or TDC is where it has to be timed static.
 You can never get the timing right, if the mag drive slot is not horizontal at TDC of compression stroke on number 1.
 Take the mag off, pull number 1 plug and sticj your thumb over the hole. Turn the engine over till you feel compression on that plug hole, then find TDC on that stroke. Remove the governor and replace so slot is horizontal.
 Then you have to find spark on the wire you want for number 1. After it sparks on that wire, back it up till horizontal and install the mag. Run wires in firing order clockwise from number 1 wire.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 03 Aug 2016 at 3:02pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 9:18am
DO NOT stick you thumb INTO the hole, but just cover it..... there are enough guys nursing troublesome thumbs right now!

If you need assistance WITH pictures, Take a gander at this site;
http://www.allis01.com/fossto/44WC/ac-wc-mag-timing.html

This belongs to TomMN (Tom Foss).  He is our expert on this.  He gives a seminar at Hutch every year on this subject.  HTH......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telephoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 2:59pm
Well back at it today.I cleaned every orifice I could find in the carb.Still not getting gas thru it for the engine to fire.So I pulled it off and did what was suggested with starting fluid directly into the intake manifold,it firedClap.I'm a rookie at this and really don't know what to do other than put out the monies for a new carb.Would it be worth it to take to a shop that does tractor work and let them have a go at it? Many thanks to all who have replied,I do have the magneto set properly now. 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 3:39pm
you can have it rebuilt cheaper than you can buy new.  Steve @ B&B can rebuild it for you, possibly others here on the forum as well.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:18pm
If your not gas through it then that is the issue. Do you have gas to the carb? Steady full flow through the line from the tank? When you have that then the next thing is the needle valve. where the float is attached. If gas is flowing through there then it should fill the carb bowl. Now your into the fuel flow through those small orifices that feed the engine. If you have those cleaned and open and reset the adjustment needles you should have fuel to the engine.
I had similar issues with a WD this spring. I think it was a plugged fuel line.
Pictures might help us too. Lots of folks on here that can help you!
Some one recommended a small squirt can with gas sprayed into the carb. I did that and my engine would run, that's when I was able to track it down to fuel flow.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telephoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
I did as suggested with misting gas into intake,started and ran.Now back to fuel supply.Very good flow to carb.Took carb to re-builder in the hopes they see what the problem is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic