This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA with Mower ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA with Mower ?
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:21am
I am thinking on buying a CA  putting on a 3-point hitch and a Rear Mount finish mower on it. Any one have one of these setups and does it work well. ie can the CA lift it without front end coming off the ground?  Any help is appreciated.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:28pm
I have run a 5' 3PTH Brush Hog type mower behind my CA. It lifts the mower just fine and the front end stays on the ground (altho it is "lighter" than when the mower is down). Think a finish mower would be lighter than a brush hog mower. I have a belly mount Woods L306 (6' cut) under the CA and it is a pleasure to cut grass with, never tried a rear monted finish mower tho. Would think a rear mower would be more difficult to turn corners and that the rear tires would tend to pack the grass ahead of the mower.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:32pm
Old topic... but anyway... I use a King Kutter 5' finish mower behind my CA.  Turns out the 3pt A-frame interferes with the PTO shaft due to how high the PTO is on the CA.  So I simply tow it and hook the rear support chain to the top link mount.  No lifting possible, but I don't really need to anyway.  Greg is right, the tires do tend to press the grass down and leave streaks... the taller the grass the worse it is.  My C with the belly mower is still my favorite though.
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:41pm
I had a 6' farm king on my CA. front got light when lifted. not a problem since I had to leave the top link off when mowing. mower is on wd45 now. The woods belly mower on the CA works much better.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:48pm
Murph, could you raise the top link part of the A frame so it didn't interfere with the PTO? I know it might alter the geometry of the 3 point, but I would think with a little "farmer engineering" a guy could make the 3 point work without contacting the PTO shaftand get the mower to set down properly anyway.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:51pm
I can know the Woods type belly mower is handier and  does a geat job, but I have often thought if a guy had the 3 point, it would be way easier to do several different jobs through the summer with the same tractor. I guess some guys would just buy 3 tractors and put a different  piece of equipment on each one and leave em.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 9:47pm
Yeah, I'd like to have my buddy work on the A-frame, but I've just got too many irons in the fire... maybe some day. 
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 11:07pm
I have a 6' woods finish mower behind my NF D-17.It does a really good job as long as the grass doesn't get too tall.only leaves streaks when the grass is above 5"-6".Works really well on flat or slightly rolling ground.Some areas where ground goes up and down sharply the mower will dig in the front or lift up too high as back wheels go over hump.I have a 1,1/2 acre lot to mow that is flat a pancake.I mow it a different direction each time so I do not compact the same tire tracks each time.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:36am
My top link doesn't interfere with the PTO it just don't follow the ground as nice as I like.as much as I mow I don't take the mower off. 3pt or not I need it every week at least twice, so just dedicate one tractor to mowing and switch implements on another.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 06 Jun 2011 at 7:41am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:56am
Same mower on a WD45. If your only getting one tractor a WD is cheeper than a CA turns just as tight. has hydraulics that will lift the mower without the blades turning . and a hand clutch that you can use to tease the mower back under the trees.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic