This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo CA gets a nose job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo CA gets a nose job
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:39pm
Over the winter I gave my turbocharged CA a nose job. I knew it's limiting factor was trouble breathing. Previously I'd been using a Holley single barrel updraft from a 3000 Ford, about the same as a 190 used. This worked well after I got it tuned correctly to run on E85. Over the winter I installed a Holley 500CFM two barrel that was prepped by QuickFuel technology. So far after getting it running and tuning the idle screws it seems link the main setting is about right. The first pull for the year will be tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what happens.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:53pm
Good Luck Paul. Let us know how it does
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:00pm
Id like to see a video of your turbo tractor, have only seen the NA one
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:39pm
See ya tomorrow, noon, right?
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:12pm
If there ever was a "been there done that" small AC puller put Paul B on the top of the list.   If "Pinky" knew he was commin she stayed home.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:08pm
WHAT AN EXCITING DAY I HAD!!!!!. To give everyone a bit of background, previously I've been running 14.9X24 full cut rear tires. For the 2500 class I've been running third gear and for the 3000 I run second. Maximum RPM has been about 3500 on a good day and lugs down to about 2500 on hard pulls. The first class today was 3000 so I set up that same as always. I was the second puller behind our non-turbo CA that pulled 309'. Easily got up to the governor limit of 4000 and got moving easily. For the entire pull of 320' the RPM never dropped and the engine hardly was loaded.  Next class was 2500 so I made some changes to use some the extra power that I'd never had before. Again I was next behind our other CA and pulled 323' at 4000 RPM the entire distance, this was in 3rd and I felt like going back to try 4th. I never got the distance for Wendy's pull. Then later we had the chance to run again at 3000 pounds, I  balanced the same as the first run and used third gear. This was the first run of the day that the tractor even began to sound like it had a load. I know I pulled further than Wendy with the sled set heaver than earlier at 3000 and the motor ran at 4000 RPM for the entire pull. Now I need bigger tires and Wendy get's the Holley single barrel updraft. I know that some videos were taken and when I have a link I'll post them.

Edited by PaulB - 23 Apr 2016 at 6:11pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:56pm
Paul, I think both of wendy's 1st 2 pulls were 309, then 224, on the 3rd pull...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:41am
Paul. With the gearing, rpm and tire size what do you recon your speed is in MPH? Does your front wheel stay on the track pulling at 2500 and 3000. CAs are pretty nose heavy running light.
   What kind of competition do you have in 2500 and 3000?
   Maybe I can learn SOMETHING more about pulling light with a CA and save my back loading and unloading weights.

We will most likely never compete 1 on 1 so sharing a secret or two to improve a CAs traction is in order. I have another fresh built stock engine and a bare bones CA narrow front I could build exclusively for 2500 and 3000 completion. Can't think of a local pull around here where anyone enters anything to compete against in 2500 or 3000 weight classes. What fun is that?

What size rear tires came on a stock CANE Version CA? I guess I never saw one   

Edited by Ken in Texas - 24 Apr 2016 at 8:07am
DSpears N IL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSpears N IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 12:16pm
Hi Ken, Paul and all other CA Pullers
This 1952 High Crop CA showed up at one of our events!
It was just for show so I do not know how it performs.
I like to pull my stock CA at 3200,3500, and 3750.
I have pulled 4000, but the other tractors where better performers.
DeWayne

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:41am
I just love the way a weighted CA just squats and goes when you take out the slack and ease into the pull.
   If you think the competition is tuff in 4000 try 4500 Dewayne. Finishing second against those big boys isn't anything to be ashamed of.
   You still have the advantage over some of the 4000 and 4500 pound tractors by being able to place your added weights where they do the most good
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:45am
I received a nice PM from Paul B clearing up the myth that shorter drawbars are always better for distance. In his experience it just aint so.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:18pm
Dang, look at that little sucker wrinkle those tires! Leon R  Cmo
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 1:43pm
Now with all the extra power that the big carburetor makes I went out today to get "Clockwork Orange" a bigger pair of shoes,  18.4X28s.  Hopefully I'll soon have a you tube link for the runs I made April 23rd.  
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:24am
Here's a link to the pull in the 2500 pound class on April 23rd.

http://youtu.be/DHzxuUUXUos
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 4:56am
 [TUBE]http://youtu.be/DHzxuUUXUos[/TUBE]
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 6:05pm
Paul asked me to post a coupla more videos, so here they is...

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/73L8j9b4jdE[/TUBE]
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 5:26am
The first one is me on the turbo tractor at 2500 pounds. The second one is Wendy on the non- turbo CA and me at 3000 pounds.   She's running 2nd gear and I'm in 3rd.

Now with 18.4X28 tires

Edited by PaulB - 18 May 2016 at 7:59am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 6:20am
I'm way down here in Texas just a watin to see how PaulB does with the turbo CA with the BIGGER tires. The pix I got this week of the CA with the 18.4 28s on looks awesum
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:22am
Tomorrow morning (Sunday the 29th) at the local green dealer at Frederick I get a chance to see if those big shoes are too big or not. It's gonna be interesting. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:52pm
Looks like I'll be there, to watch, got the huge crop of hay inside, today...
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:57pm
Paul, got any links to todays videos?  It sure was a hoot, when you passed Gladhill, doun 9.9 miles per hour, all the way to the end...  Keep doin that, and they won't invite you back...Wink
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:19pm
I was hoping that a couple of videos would be ready by now. I did find out that I had more than enough power for the 18.4X28 rear tires to use 3rd gear at 3000 pounds. Now as anyone might have guessed; More power out front, more tire in the back, weak link= clutch. Although I can't really complain, I've been using the same clutch since I first put the turbo on nearly 20 years ago. The disc had worn about .050". Surprisingly the flywheel and pressure plate had hardly any wear. That should be taken care of soon. Now to cut on those big tires. What Dave is referring to is; Marty Gladhill was hooked to the sled on the other track on an 820 pop popper and had about a half track head start when I got the green flag. Before he had gotten to 200' I passed him.  The bunch at Gladhill Tractor Mart always wants to put on a good show. They have a few ProStock big tractors come in for some runs at every pull that they host.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:42pm
Paul, just picked this up on Youtube...ClapClap

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/GXU6b43E6ro[/TUBE]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic