This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowco bale loader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowco bale loader
    Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:37pm
talked to a guy that farmed with allis's back in his day as a kid, mentioned something about a snowco bale loader to pick up the bales from a rotobaler. anyone know what he is talking about.

Carl
Sponsored Links

Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:09pm
We used to live down the road from a guy that still used the roto bailer in the late 80's.  He had a trailer that for lack of a better description looked like a big round manure tank trailer type except the tank was like a cage.  I never saw it work or knew how it worked but I do know he used it for loading them round bales.   Not sure if it was snoco or not.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:49pm
I would like to see a picture. We have an A-C collector that is collecting all the various after market brands of round bale loaders.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:23pm
I have a trailer type ground driven rubber tired bale loader out back. I'll see if I can find a picture or get a new pic

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:05pm
In 1948 one of the bale loaders we used was I believe a snowco bale loader.  It was made for square bales but worked very well with the round bales - perhaps even better.  I have no pictures but let me try to describe it.
It was ground powered - took soo much ground power that we had to load the tractor treaded driving wheel with calcum chloride so it would keep traction.  The loader was pulled beside a wagon.  The bales were fed into the front opening.  When the bale hit the rear trigger it would engage the lift mechanism.  A cable would tighten around the ground wheel and bring the front tine into the bale.  The lift arm would then lift the bale into the wagon.  When the bale hit the wagon it released and the arm fell back into position for the next bale.
Reading over but not too good an explination but I have to say it worked very well.  We aloaded fields full of round bales into the sided wagon.  The bales had to be turned but this could be done with a motorcycle kicking them with the leg guard.  Later we rigged a piece of iron on one side that turned the bale as it came out of the bailer. 
Hope somebody has a picture.  I would like to see it again too.  Looked somewhat Rube Goldbergish.  Only exception was that it worked and not too bad at that.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:20pm
Hey Bill, does this look like it.

JimB IN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimB IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:46pm
In the 1950's in eastern Kansas we used a bale loader as described by Bill Long to load roto bales onto a truck.I don't remember the brand name but Snowco sounds familiar and it was painted red. There were small star wheels on both sides ot the throat that would turn the bale and feed it into the arm end wise to pick it up. The arm was hinged near the top and the bale moved up in an arc and when it reached the top it was released and the arm dropped back down and the bale fell on the truck bed. It worked well but if the bale was super heavy the wheel would slip as Bill said, also you didn't want to be in the path of the bale as it would deck you. There was also a loader used that would pick up both round & square bales that was a ferris wheel type. The wheel was maybe 8 ft. in dia. & had  bars on it that would push the bale up around in a cage and when it got to the top it rode out on a guide plate and dropped on the truck bed. I don't know who made it, it may have been the Snowco. Either loader took the majority of the work out of loading a truck load of bales. JB
AC1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:58pm
Dave Richards:  Can you possibly send me a copy of that brochure either by scanning or by mailing??  I will gladly pay you for a copy.  I have located one of those and did not know how to put it back together and / or make it work.  My mailing address is J. W. Vann, 1306 Parkridge Dr., Fulton, MO  65251.  You can email me at visionarts.drv@sbcglobal.net or call me at 573-220-2401.   Thanks either way. 
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:36pm
Bill, i think your on the same page as him. he said it took so much traction that they had to hang cement blocks on it. but he said it was the handiest thing ever. Really wish i could find one. lets keep our eyes pealed for one, be a neat piece to have, sounds interesting.

Carl
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:14am
I think there was a Snowco like that at the GOTO at Milton On last year.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:49am
Dusty. You are right about the Snowco at Milton GOTO last year. It belongs to
George Underwood. He has several different brands of short line round bale loaders.
He has one that he doesn't know the make. I'm not sure if it the Snowco or not.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
sledgeomatic View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgeomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:00am
Hi I'm new just found this thread doing a search for snowco bale loader. Not sure why I seem to do a search now and then. I have one of them I got it in the 1980's some time and used it a lot, but haven't used it for a while now. It's just a pretty neat machine but can be frustrating to use sometimes.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:08am
Dave,  That is it.  Looked crazy - worked great. 
If you make a copy of the brocure can you send me a copy and a bill.  I will gladly pay for the postage and service.
They really worked even though it looked different.
Thanks for Sharing
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:18am
I have a round bale loader made by a man named Steffin from Fairbury,Il. in the late 1940's and early 1950's. He made about 600 of these and marketed them. It is pulled with a tractor with the wagon hooked behind it. Ran off PTO with gathering chains with spikes on them to pick up the bales. We used it at the OPOP show last year, worked very good. The one I have is one of the very few still remaining. A son of the man that made them brought this to the Museum about 2 years ago. There is footage of it working on the 2009 OPOP show DVD. He also gave me a sales pamphlet and manual he had made to sell them.
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
edc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:21am

I still have the Snowco loader dad bought new,we used it for many years w/a  51 Ford 2 ton  w/stock racks up and a end gate that hingded at the top. Had a kicker on the baler to turn the bales , they weighed about 50 lbs. dad added extra shocks  to keep the arm from slamning down so hard,it worked good w/2 guys. before that we would drag a sled w/2 guys  and one on the tractor

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:12pm
Amazing how many different bale loaders were out there.The one at Dale's last year was pretty neat.Worked good also.
The one we had back on the dairy farm when I was a young Lad was a New Idea I believe.It laid flat during transport,then had to be stood up with the hitch pointing staight in the air.There had to be a big 1/2 " bolt on the left side of wagon.The loader hooked on the bolt and drug along side of wagon.The bales entered shute,a flat piece of metal with a spring held the bales against a chain(ground driven)that fed the bales up the chute and then set them on a platform 4-5 rows high above the bed of the wagon.
Worked well with either square or Roto Baler round bales.I liked it because at 6-7 years old I got to drive the D-17s.Later as I got older my little sister drove and I was the sorry SOB on the wagon covered in hay dust from pulling those bales off that platform.My older brother would jump off the baler tractor and roll several rows of bales in to one row.1st gear low wasn't slow enough!!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:15pm
There is a Sno-Co bale loader listed on Craigslist-Maine for $100. It was used with a rotobaler. It was posted May 5 and was still up a few minutes ago. Mike R thinks I need it but I already have enough "things" I can't find time for. Bob@allisdowneast
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:16am
bill is correct. I used one when I was a kid. the brochure dave has is what it is . Dave you should go into printing, I would also like to buy a copy of that brochure. I have one that we always run through our parade at our show and it gets a big applaud when it picks the bales. I gave $5 for mine at an auction & some elderly man asked me if i knew what i bought, i said yes , he said i don't think anybody else did. the auctioneer called it some harrow thing.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:38am
I found a picture I'll try scanning.
NC Bruce View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:21am
I have Dad's old SnowCo thrower too.  He had parked it in Gpa's barn in'61 when he traded the Rotobaler for a NH 67 sq baler.  I got it out of the trees, last summer.  The barn had rotted away from it.

I can barely remember riding in back of big truck with high sideboards  pulling the SnowCo , while it was throwing round bales over sideboards.  Mom and I would grab, & stack  'em, then stand back next to inside sideboard, before next round bale came flying over our heads...ha!  What would have happened if we had not gotten hay stacked in time?  ha!

Don't think OSHA would like that today....ha!

I have original brochure of SnowCo, like Dave[s picture, if anyone wants me to scan it and post it here, or send it to you?

Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 12:10pm
I sent email to the first few guys that asked for a copy, I only had the jpeg of the front cover, but I contacted the owner who listed it on the internet for sale a couple of years ago.  he still had it, and i have it coming in the mail.  Between Bruce and i we should be able to cover everyone.  I'd certainly like to have the one in Maine for $100, think they would deliver?  I have half of an Allis Bale loader.  Need the part that mounts on the tractor.   Drive and brackets.  Folks I got it from junked the WC with the drive and brackets on it.  Recently found the rest when the hay stack got low.  Anyone have one with a damaged elevator, I am interested.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:41pm
Ive also got one that mounts on a wc or wd and another that elevates up on the rack. no pictures of the mounted but I'll try to post the other one. I would like to find a ferris wheel style one.
Joe Graunke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Graunke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 12:22pm
1946WP that's meyer bale loader in your last pic. I have one just like it.
Joe
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 1:49pm
I , too have a Meyer loader as shown in the previous picture. There was another model of Meyer that had retaining rods ON TOP OF the bales all the way up the "elevator" I don't know the model no. but one of our neighbours had one of these. My dad bought our Meyer in 1952 along with a KingWyse 42 ft. elevator and a n 18 ft. ladder mow extension. This was his answer to how to handle the round bales. We then proceeded to buy a RotoBaler and we were in business. 58 years later, we still have the same units and they all work VERY well. I would hate to think of how many bales that time period represents but we put up 12-15, 000 bales each year.

Just wondering if any othr company took over the Meyer operation? There is another Meyer company now but it isn't connected to the one who made the loaders (and Mower-conditioners, etc.)

Ken McGregor
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:43pm
Dave, I have two AC round bale loaders with the brackets one is for a WD and one is for a WC the loader for the WC  is in need or some repair but the brackets are there. Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:54pm
Gary Agrimson showed me a round bale loader for the roto-baler - it was stored in a barn near Hutchinson, MN. I believe it was the "ferris wheel" type. I never saw it in action but he told me that it worked well.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
seyval View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seyval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:10pm
I have  one and work FANTASTIC .I'll put the picture soon or a small video
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm
Sorry, only bale loaders my daddy had were either me or my brother, whovers turn it was to throw. Kept the arms and back in good shape that way though. I used to look like a bulldog from the rear. Little waist and such, big, broad shoulders and arms. I evenned out since I don't work on the farm anymore. Now i'm just fat all over.LOL!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 7:27am
Good Grief!!  Do you realize how old that post is. 
Yes I have the pictures and brocures that were mailed and e-mailed to me from all.
Thanks.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
dlbryan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 4:15pm
I've never seen a Snowco bale loader in my life,  however the Ferris Wheel Bale Loader was invented by my father, Ernest L Hodgson.  He held the US Patent for 20 years and I still have all the original paperwork on it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic