This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 front axle surprise!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 front axle surprise!
    Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 12:54am
After all this talk about 18.4 x 26 tires on the front being an unfavourable combination with 20.8 x 38 on the rear, I drained the oil in my axle. The tractor has 3500 hrs and the tires are original. Here's the pics:

Anybody want to guess where the ball bearings are from?
Do you want to guess if the differential gears are still good?
There was approx two tablespoons of water that came out first before the oil. I had to poke the ball bearings with a screwdriver to get the oil out, so there could still be a lot more pieces inside.
I'll let you know the answers next week.
Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:04am
that don't look good Ron!
Nebraskafarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nebraskafarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:59am
That stinks hopefully all goes well but i didn't think anyone thought that combination was bad one?? or atleast it wasnt according to the allis literature.  
rob(ont) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob(ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:02pm
Outer bearing on the halfshaft at the end of the axle? Been changed before and didn't get all the spare parts out.
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:19pm
Something I have been doing  to our equipment when draining fluids for a number of years now is to drill  a 1/2" dia hole half way through the inside of the plug and epoxy a 1/2" x 1" neodymium  magnet in it.   

A high powered magnet stuck to the inside of a drain plug makes for a great metal catcher! 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:39pm
Put some new oil innit, and run it on a hot day, and hit it with an IR thermometer, anything hot should be suspect.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:06pm
I hope for the best for your machine. Check your vent plugs rubber O ring. The O ring grove in the plug has a hole in it for the vent. The O ring in the grove lets pressure out and keeps dirt and water from getting in. Put in a new O ring with every oil change. When refilling the final drives, leave them a little lower then the book tells. They don't have a vent and the pressure will blow out the big seals. If that happens, oil will spray the inside of your tires and makes a mess. Don't ask how I know.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 5:49pm
Unit3
Thanks for the o-ring reminderā€¦ this one was missing!
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 5:53pm
rob(ont)
After talking to a local mechanic he confirmed that the outer bearings are ball and the dif carrier has roller, so you are right, someone had changed a failed outer bearing prior to my ownership and left a few inside.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:02pm
I've just pulled one wheel housing off.

It looks very dirty in thereā€¦ I'm going blow some diesel thru it with an air syphon blow gun.

How does this upper kingpin look?
Would you replace it?

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:32pm
As long as you got it apart and the check book open, why not? Be ready, I think they might really amaze you as to what they can cost.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:34pm
Forgot to ask, how are the gears? Did anything hurt them?
rob(ont) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob(ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:40pm
Yeah, that pin should be smooth. Never seen the grooves angled like that. Are all the needles in the bearing? That comes from running in relatively few steering positions in the field. Makes for jumpy steering on the road. Another thing I have done is to grind a recess in the center between the 2 u-joints and install a 90* grease zerk in the u-joints. Point them to the center. Tight, but can be done, and is now greasable. Use lots of grease to hold the needles in place around the outside of the bearing when re-installing the bearing so a needle doesn't fall out of place. Rob.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:22pm
After a closer inspection of the top bearing I see that one needle is broke and I've decided to replace both bearings and pins.

I mig welded the rod onto the pin. It came out easy. Just grind it off after and reuse on the others.

This pic for those who have never changed a bearing. These bearings have a lot of wear and are due to be changed.   The o-ring was broke on the bottom bearing. It was time.

Thanks for all the prior discussion on these axles. If you guys hadn't mentioned the potential problems I would not have checked mine.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:27pm
More pics:

Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 3:16pm
There is a tool that threads (If my memory is correct) into the pin and then pulls the pin out. Fellow beside me at a dealer auction bought one just as I realized what it was for. Your way works as well!
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:16pm
Ron,
Sorry to Hijack the post, but I am curious about your puller tool.  Threaded rod into the king pin, but is there weld down there? 

I need to replace a u-joint on an 8050, and reading the service manual, it mentioned the special tool.  I like your method, as I likely have the parts. 

Also, is there a way to replace a u-joint without removing the outer assembly? 

Thank you,
John

Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:38pm
You don't need to remove the outer planetary just to replace the U-joints. I turn the wheels sharply one way and then use a 3/8s air ratchet to take them out.  I take out both U-joints with that center spacer all in one piece. It's a little  clumsy, but not too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic