This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what size disk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what size disk?
    Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:34pm
i was wandering how big of a disk will my wd45 handle?
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 7:10am
I pull a 10 foot disk with WD45's and get along just fine. If you go bigger than 8' you might need to add weight to the rears. A lot of variables you need to look at hills type of ground you are working, the shape your WD45 is in, tires. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 7:47am
Depends a lot on the disc, size of blades, weight, etc.  I had a 12' Krause behind my 45.  Handled it just fine discing stalks, but needed duals in plowed ground.  Duals make a tremendous difference on a WD or WD45 when discing plowed ground.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:29am
Ted makes a good point, duals help a lot in plowed ground. I use them and love them in soft wet ground too.

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:46am
It depends on soil type and terrain a great deal.

Flat loess and sandy soils in the corn belt, 10'

Hilly clayish soils like in my neck of the woods, 8'

At times, in certain soils - my WD will really "talk" with an 8' disk. (45/D17 engine). 2 years ago my son-in-law's 45 (gleaner Z code engine) "talked" enough to blow a head gasket.

As an aside, I have "cheated" and pulled 10' disks using the Traction Booster function off the drawbar when I was smoothing out a field. Best depth regulator I've ever used (also works with 8' too).

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:41am
I think a 10' is about right for a WD45. I pulled a 10' last week in plowed ground with duals and new 18" blades disking fairly deep and loose dirt. 2nd gear did fine, but 3rd really pulled it hard and really pulled RPM's down going up a slight hill. Went back to 2nd gear.

In corn stalks on bean stubble I can pull it fine in 3rd. I could probably handle a 12' in that ground. I'd rather have a 10' I can pull good or faster anywhere, than a 12' I can barely pull in some places.
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 6:27pm
some how I can pull a 12 foot IH disk in plowed ground with a WD with good tires and fluid. its 1st or second gear at most though. working on getting a 10 foot deere though cheap
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:23pm
I logged a lot of hours with a WD45 diesel, transport valve, loaded 16.9's, Du-All loader sans bucket, and a 212 AC tandem with traction booster hitch. 2nd gear, heavy clay and hills....guess anything is possible
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:37pm
if you have fall plowing, and want to level it out, gets one of those old "KENT" spring shank cultivators. they work great and don't pull as hard as a disk. usually you can pick one up for under $10. and they do work good! they were really the first "field cultivators" born, but didn't require shovels.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 6:45am
I think a lot depends on your soil. I have a 12' #37 McCormick disk I pull with my WD45. It is more of a finish disk (light weight). At 12', if I set it deeper than 2" I had to stay in first gear. I took 2 blades off the outside of each gang, making it about 9 1/2'. Now I can sink it to the gang axles in 2nd or 3rd gear with some rocks on the frame between the tires and the rear gangs.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 6:49am
Running 2 passes after the field cultivator I can get it almost as good as a tiller. I truck farm veggies, so I want it fine.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 7:21am
My "CA" can handle the 8-1/2' disc, I would hope the "WD-45" with almost twice the HP could handle a 10' disc. Duals really helps.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:01am
Back when the WD45 was new in our area they used the 8 foot disc they had and added a spring tooth behind after the first time over. They would be pulling a Disc, packer and spring tooth all 8 foot. It was years later before I saw the first set of duals on a row crop tractor in our area. Duals make a big difference in plowed ground with what you can pull. Even though some farmers had the where with to buy all new bigger fitting tools it was not thought wise to do so all at once. The financial safety net was their bank account. Not a government program. Total different think process than now. Another thing would be just because you can pull it doesn't mean you are using it in an economical way.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:08am
I fall plow and then in the early spring I hit it two times with this field cultivator then disk it hub deep one or two times then plant in a nice clean seed bed.

Edited by Don(MO) - 06 May 2015 at 8:10am

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:21am
If anyone has one of those KENT cultivators for sale for $10 let me know. I'd like to try one ;)
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:28am
For my MF-135, I converted a 12' Oliver 232 to a 6' foot offset with a heavy frame. It pulled as hard as my 2x16 moldboard (Case) plow.

I bought a Deere folding disk to use with my 4020 after plowing with my AC 2000 Monoframe 4x18 converted to 3x18. I used the wings for parts like bearings to fix it up for use and its 14 or 16' wide. I could pull it at 8 or 9 mph in plowed ground. It took three passes in my ground to make a nice seed bed. An old timer in the neighborhood taught me that the disk was more effective at killing grass and small weeds when pulled that fast because then it tossed the plants up in the air and they landed on top the ground and the roots died. Disking slowly seemed to encourage grass on my farm. I added a row of spring tooth on the back and got the fine seedbed in two passes. I also added a spring tooth to the back of the Case 45 field cultivator. I left the wings folded up. It was enough load for the 4020. Width with wings up probably 18' but I'm not sure today.

With all that stuff working, I built a sprayer and a side dresser and went notill.

Gerald J.
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

I fall plow and then in the early spring I hit it two times with this field cultivator then disk it hub deep one or two times then plant in a nice clean seed bed.

Don it warms my heart to see the two toys I sold you put to good work each year on your fields.   Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:06am
Thanks Mike for the sales, they work good togather. The four row planter is great I have installed new springs and knocker rollers and that's about all it needed to work good with the high speed drive gears I installed to plant at a higher rate. I'm planting corn at 26,000+ per A. or about a 6" drop spacing.

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:43pm
Gerald...just remember, going fast with a disk will also ridge the field, soon it'll look like waves ona lake!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

Gerald...just remember, going fast with a disk will also ridge the field, soon it'll look like waves ona lake!

When I was a kid in the 1950's and my Dad would have caught me disking a 9 mph, when I might stick my tongue out today it would look like the toe of a boot yet.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 7:02pm
I was dixking diadonal to plow furrows, some dry, some wet and I drove at different angles with the disk and overlapped. With the disk set up properly, gang angles the same, level side to side, and level front to back I didn't make ridges. Then I had a row of spring tooth on the back for more leveling. I'm sure a disk with a weak frame and not level front to back will cut waves. The my finishing pass was with a wider field cultivator to cut off the weeds that had emerged that also had a spring tooth on the back to finish the leveling. And I didn't run the FC in line with the disk or plow passes.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic