This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Panks broadening horizons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panks broadening horizons
    Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 5:43pm
In ability to make more parts like rods ,girdles machined parts etc . Help comes from mazak
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:09pm
spam......reported.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

spam......reported.
no spam just new equipment to use.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:30pm
Will you be selling rods and parts made on this machine?

Edited by wi50 - 30 Sep 2014 at 6:30pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm

spam......reported.

Clap
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Mitch says parts will come free with purchase of complete engine build from him
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:50pm
IF mitch had the resources of NASA in his "shop" he still couldn't build a winning engine/tractor. So this topic is still spam.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:54pm

IF mitch had the resources of NASA in his "shop" he still couldn't build a winning engine/tractor. So this topic is still spam.
lol he has some winning in classes above div 2
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

So he works for free!!

Or he's padding the price, using his employers resources (machinery and other employees) to make parts.

Gary is correct, Mitch is no machinist.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:06pm
With those machines you don't have to be a machinist just a programmer . Marty you should appreciate that being a internet builder and all
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm

So there's no difference in price if a customer supplies their own parts or if they get custom made parts......you say they are free with purchase of a build.

Sounds like a desperate cry for work. Myself, I'm pretty backed up and don't cut deals, I don't have to.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:37pm
I don't think Mitch is crying for work . I think he is just going to let Ashbury and ray supply parts to engine assemblers that can not machine custom parts for any reason they may have
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:59pm

With those machines you don't have to be a machinist just a programmer

Somewhat true, but you still need to be above clueless Pank, which is where you are.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:04pm

[QUOTE=mgburchard] [QUOTE=wi50] 

So there's no difference in price if a customer supplies their own parts or if they get custom made parts......you say they are free with purchase of a build.

Sounds like a desperate cry for work. Myself, I'm pretty backed up and don't cut deals, I don't have to.

Well Marty when the only provable track record is 5 mediocre hooks and KABOOM! people just dont flock to that don't ya know???  I guess twin wire crank welding work has all dried up eh ???
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:07pm
All my machines are CnC, also known as crank'n-crank.

Butch, don't you rember pank telling us billet rods were no good, now he wants to pretend to make them.

Picture of your Gleason please.........

Edited by wi50 - 30 Sep 2014 at 8:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:15pm
I don't think twin wire welding has dried up I think Mitch just advanced it being able to utilize another machine to make rods capable of using a readily available narrow automotive h series rod bearing instead of antique pricey over a inch wide tractor rod bearings
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:18pm

I don't think twin wire welding has dried up I think Mitch just advanced it being able to utilize another machine to make rods capable of using a readily available narrow automotive h series rod bearing instead of antique pricey over a inch wide tractor rod bearings

He advanced twin wire welding to be able to use another machine to make rods Eh? 
If you only know how STUPID that statement is, LOL  

You are even more  clueless than I ever even thought you were Pank
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:22pm

All my machines are CnC, also known as crank'n-crank.

Butch, don't you rember pank telling us billet rods were no good, now he wants to pretend to make them.

Picture of your Gleason please.........

Ya Marty,  I think that was about the time Pank invented the cast iron forging also.

I wonder if the TVA gives it graces to Pank taking pics at the machine shop instead of pushing the broom?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

He advanced twin wire welding to be able to use another machine to make rods Eh? 

naw showing yours see to use the rod the crank will have to be welded to use .942 wide rod making crank welder even more work to.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:27pm
Hey Butch, you rember me explaining to pank how a narrow crankpin would be stronger than a wide one, to throw those tractor rods away and use a nice narrow billet on max effort engines,,......he did listen after all. That is why I set my billet rods up with an H-series bearing.....but look out pank, the locating tabs are in different locations on the top and bottom bearing shells on the 2" SBC bearings.

I'm not sure why but Murphy's rods use a different bearing insert, Buick I think, maybe the locating tabs are symmetrical on those.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:30pm

Hey Butch, you rember me explaining to pank how a narrow crankpin would be stronger than a wide one, to throw those tractor rods away and use a nice narrow billet on max effort engines,,......he did listen after all. That is why I set my billet rods up with an H-series bearing.....but look out pank, the locating tabs are in different locations on the top and bottom bearing shells on the 2" SBC bearings.

I'm not sure why but Murphy's rods use a different bearing insert, Buick I think, maybe the locating tabs are symmetrical on those.
remember Pankey showing the natpa points winning tarbill crank back around 2000 or so . so no matter how much you twist it you just can't get ahead of him .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:35pm

[QUOTE=mgburchard)
naw showing yours see to use the rod the crank will have to be welded to use .942 wide rod making crank welder even more work to.

You're dead wrong, the welder has the same or less work to do....you weld the whole journal and grind into it. Weather you grind a .960" wide crankpin or a 1.5" wide crankpin the welding is the same, not more. The narrow crankpin is also easier to grind, less material to remove than a wide pin.

The welding work could in a sense be less for the narrow crankpin, as the area built up can be tapered down to a lesser width. Thus giving less mass to the outermost part of the crank and in theory strengths it. Added strength from added material under the crankpin allowing it to be blended into the throw.

Any crank grinder knows this, though the imaginary crank experts on the internet like you lank are, well,......clueless.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:35pm

....but look out pank, the locating tabs are in different locations on the top and bottom bearing shells on the 2" SBC bearings.

Ya Marty but the famed Tenn Internet poster thinks that has been long enough in the past that everyone has forgot.

and those tangs are there to keep  the bearing inserts from spinning in the rod right Pank??

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:40pm

remember Pankey showing the natpa points winning tarbill crank back around 2000 or so . so no matter how much you twist it you just can't get ahead of him .

No I don't rember, but I do rember pankey buying the engine and then whining that it was junk and selling the parts. It did have wide rods though.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:42pm

remember Pankey showing the natpa points winning tarbill crank back around 2000 or so . so no matter how much you twist it you just can't get ahead of him .[/QUOTE]

You didn't build that motor when it was winning Pank, everybody knows that. 

True story line is you bought a winning engine took it apart, modified a few things and on hook #5 KERRR---BAAAAM!!!! 
So much for twist,,,

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:43pm
herespicture of crank heres picture of natpa points winning tractor it came from
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:51pm

Not to wreck the party, but you're dead wrong here pank.

The narrower rod requires LESS welding. Please read my other post on this and explain why you say it needs more welding.

I suppose if you welded the wrong side of the crank and de-stroked it, there would be more welding. But adding stroke means building material on the "top" side and cutting into the bottom side. With a narrower rod, the weld doesn't have to be as wide and can taper down leaving less welded material on the top side of the crankpin. Less material there means less mass and less negative impact on the overall strength of the crankshaft.

The narrower rod allows a wider radius under the crankpin and more material of the original crankpin is allowed to blend into the throw, this strengthening the crankshaft even more.

Your statement is dead wrong. You are clueless about crankshaft work.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:01pm
You got to narrow journal up if you use a narrower rod if you plan on having any oil pressure . Pankey went over this when your pal Andy was recommending just turning allis crank down to farmal h rod diameter but the h rod is narrower. Butch sometimes Pankey says going forward is backing up tarbills motor did teach him a thing or three . one thing it had a large duration relative small lift cam from comp cams . didn't lug well at end of pu all but ran strong enough in the middle to get past everyone to be a points champ . so Pankey goes with more duration now and even though Marty says its all wrong well it got past two of his this year
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
That's a pretty fugly crank in the picture there. There could be strength added by grinding a large diameter grind at a different stroke, thus grinding a large radius to blend the crankpin to the throw.

Think of it like this, grind a 2" crankpin on a 6" stroke that's .960"/wide. Now grind a 3" diameter, or close to it depending on the material, with a huge radius on a 4.5" stroke or so and grind a little wider than the .960" crankpin journal. The grinding wheel won't hit the crankpin but will clean up the under side of the crankpin blending into the throw.

I see work like in the picture from shops that cut corners. Sure its one more setup on the grinder to do the second grind, but its a way to add strength. When I end up with a crank like the one in the pictures, I tig weld up the "cheeks" under the journal and then have a friend re-grind it like I explained above.

If I've got time tomorrow, I have a crank in the shop that I need to do this to, I'll take a picture and post, and I have one that's done right to compare that I can show.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:05pm
That's a pretty fugly crank in the picture there. There could be strength added by grinding a large diameter grind, wider at a different stroke, thus grinding a large radius to blend the crankpin to the throw.

Think of it like this, grind a 2" crankpin on a 6" stroke that's .960"/wide. Now grind a 3" diameter, or close to it depending on the material, with a huge radius on a 4.5" stroke or so and grind a little wider than the .960" crankpin journal. The grinding wheel won't hit the crankpin but will clean up the under side of the crankpin blending into the throw.

I see work like in the picture from shops that cut corners. Sure its one more setup on the grinder to do the second grind, but its a way to add strength. When I end up with a crank like the one in the pictures, I tig weld up the "cheeks" under the journal and then have a friend re-grind it like I explained above.

If I've got time tomorrow, I have a crank in the shop that I need to do this to, I'll take a picture and post, and I have one that's done right to compare that I can show.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic