This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simplicity Sunstar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simplicity Sunstar
    Posted: 17 May 2024 at 7:20pm
60” mower deck with the one blade that is the other direction. Removed deck to replace the drive belt. Cleaned under deck then removed blades to sharpen. Any way the spindles have up and down play, about 1/4”   All 3 spindles have about the same play. None of them have side to side play. I don’t remember if it was that way before. So is it normal? The bearings are tight and smooth
John

Edited by john2189 - 18 May 2024 at 5:43am
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 7:06am
I think thats normal - have had a few of these I really like them !
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 10:15am
I do too. They are really built heavy and does a nice job mowing
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 5:17pm
I just put spindles in one earlier in the week and 1/32" is normal. This was a 54" fabricated deck. Don't know if the stamped deck is the same or not. 

Last series of the heavy Simplicity lineage.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 10:36am
my 60" deck was tight. no up/down stuff in it. anyway I junked it--- did a terrible job mowing. I put a 48" on it and now it mows decent, -- still not as good as the Z-Force 48 does but I can live with it for mowing weeds in the orchard. 
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

my 60" deck was tight. no up/down stuff in it. anyway I junked it--- did a terrible job mowing. I put a 48" on it and now it mows decent, -- still not as good as the Z-Force 48 does but I can live with it for mowing weeds in the orchard. 

My 60” does a really nice job. What was your 60” doing that it did a bad job?
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:53am
too wide for the ground----- leaves big pockets of uncut grass and scalps some. The 48 follows the ground better and the Z-Force 48 follows better yet cause its shorter.
I couldnt use the 60 on the roadside at all. The 48 does good there and great out in the orchards mowing weeds between the trees.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 7:29pm
I do understand that as a 60-inch works great on a nice level flat yard- and gotten wedged in a road ditch too- bought one with a 44 ich- put new belts on it , a bigger idler pulley - wow! Its a little bushhogg ! Luv these little tractors !
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:47pm
Ok what I mow is flat, so my 60” does a nice job.
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:56am
Nuttin flat around here!!! LOL!!! --- Ya we got 4x4 type mowing to do here and the smaller decks are all that will work.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:08am
Sunstar series, along with the Sovereign series were very good mowers from the early 90's into the early 2000's. The 52, or 54" full roller decks were the best out there. As mentioned, the 60" cut just as well on the flat, but any crowns or terracing yielded problems.

Last Sovereign I had was finally parted out for another machine at 4300hours on it's meter. Two engine rebuilds, (by me), a couple of hydrostat transmission refreshens, and several spindles/arbors, but really just trouble free. Predecessors to them were 916H, and 918H Allis-Chalmers, and Agco-Allis branded machines. 

Purchased an new John Deere 214 in 1980 from a good friends family starting a small Deere L&G dealership at the time and it too served just as well. It too ran to almost 4100 hours with much the same maintenance and upkeep as the Allis/Simplicity products.

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 29 minutes ago at 7:26am
Regarding the Sunstar tractor there is plenty of discussion on the deck and cutting height over on Simple Tractors so that may be a source of interesting reading. 

My experience with a Sunstar has been that it is an extremely well built mower, can take the abuse of a large acreage (above 1 acre) weak points are the front axle arrangement if not lubricated and maintained, deck mow height seems to trim grass too low to ground and not much vertical height adjustment, fuel gauges for most of these units don't work after 20 - 30 years and replacement is time consuming.  Rear tire size could have been improved and was solved with the 1920 tractors. 

Have had phenomenal reliability from the Kohler CH 20 that was equipped in the late Sunstars this is an overhead valve design.  

HTH's ~ Orangeman
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 51 minutes ago at 4:04pm
Thanks I’ll check out simple tractor
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic