This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford SD auto tranny ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford SD auto tranny ?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:46pm
I run a 2005 F250 with 5.2,4x4 and a Reading service body. Truck has 159,000 miles as of tonight. I have noticed in the past 3 months that the tranny will drop into O/D around 45 MPH. I didn't think much about it until a slight acceleration made the engine stumble HORRIBLY until I stomped on the pedal to make it upshift. No codes on the display as of yet, but am curious of what might be coming my way besides the cam phasers  Stern SmileCry Thanks
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:02pm
old dirty transmission oil does funny things... I like to remove the pan, clean and replace 5 ( of the 13 quarts) every 50,000 miles... At 159K I hope the trans oil has been flushed or cleaned out at least once.. Probably ready again.. If it has NEVER been done, you got a lot of CRUD floating around the the solenoids and engagement spools. ........... and the motor is a 5.4 with Variable Cam Timing as you said.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

old dirty transmission oil does funny things... I like to remove the pan, clean and replace 5 ( of the 13 quarts) every 50,000 miles... At 159K I hope the trans oil has been flushed or cleaned out at least once.. Probably ready again.. If it has NEVER been done, you got a lot of CRUD floating around the the solenoids and engagement spools. ........... and the motor is a 5.4 with Variable Cam Timing as you said.

Yes, 5.4, I still have the 5.2 engraved in my head from numerous parts needs for the '95 Dodge Ram that I owned previous to this (although it got 6 MPG better performance with the same payload). Sadly the tranny was completely flushed 20k miles ago when a tranny cooling line rotted off of the radiator Confused. That was NOT a cheap fix .Thanks for the reply,I was leaning toward an electronic issue for some reason.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:58pm
if you are gonna drive around (like city driving) drop the tranny lever down a notch into "drive", constant slower driving will have the tranny shifting in and out of OD, soon it won't work in OD. it'll be burned up.   
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:15pm
Shameless, my selections on the display are P/R/N/D/3/2/1. I can push a button on the end of shifter into "tow" mode but that locks me out of 5/6 gears. This issue has just developed in the past 3 months. There is no "hunting" for gears at lower MPH, once it gets into O/D at less than 40, I have to stomp the accelerator pedal to force it to up-shift.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic