This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Farming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farming
    Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 7:21pm
You guys north of the Mason Dixon line better get the oil changed, greased up, and fuel tanks filled. They are putting on NH3, disking stalks, and chiseling today. Quite a few fellows in the fields around here today. My dang bad back, bad kidney, and bad tooth keep me out of the field.    
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 10:00pm
For some around me, seed beds are ready. Word of mouth one person intends to plant in a couple weeks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 5:55am
Saw same here, NH3 carts trailing Chisel rigs, carts behind trucks on secondary highways. Is started big time.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 6:09am
Tom, i have an open appointment at at 10 am. Lol
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

For some around me, seed beds are ready. Word of mouth one person intends to plant in a couple weeks
I will not plant corn before the 20th of April! Just asking for it to get frosted off. We got a pretty hard frost on the 17th of May a few years back, corn looked BAD, like dead. It came back. Would have been interesting to see how it yielded but that was 2020 and we had a bigger problem come August.

Edit; Should mention, there is a guy up by Marshalltown that thinks he has to be first to do everything. Be interesting to see when he starts this year! I drive right by a couple of his fields on my way to work everyday, easy to see what he's up to.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 05 Mar 2024 at 9:58am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 12:17pm
I too will be watching to see how this works out. Friend of mine works part time for this BTO. He’ll keep me posted
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 1:53pm
WAY to early!  We've had LOTS of days in March where it's been below zero.  We can also get a BUNCH of snow, but that is welcome!  NOT freezing temps.
We sure can use the moisture thought!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:05pm
Yes, a lot of machines appear to be setting ready for use.  "W C Iowa" 
 I went to my farm Saturday, traveled different routes (US Hwy 20 & 59) (59, Ia 37 & 141) so I could see more acres. I was surprised to see several out discing and quite alot of dry fertilizer or lime being applied for a Saturday in early March. It was 13 this morning. 
Renter usually starts to plant second week of April same as we did. 

Edited by KJCHRIS - 05 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 8:44am
They were pulling smoke like crazy around here yesterday, some lime going on too. I'm still fighting the urge to get hooked on a disc and burn some fuel. Starter is done for D-17-1, need to go pick it up. If I can get that *#@+*# thing moving under it's own power it will make getting the 475 disc out of the shed much easier. Bought a harrow to put on it last spring, needs to get mounted.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:33pm
I have an acre of pasture sod I want to turn over. Maybe now would be a good time?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:42pm

I have an acre of pasture sod I want to turn over. Maybe now would be a good time?

In the spring be mindful of too much moisture when moldboard plowing, otherwise you fight ‘clods’ the whole season. Plowing damp, cold soil in the spring is always a gamble. If the soil is shiny coming off the moldboard, it’s too wet.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 3:33pm
Many fields have been worked up already, around here.  I saw a green planter on the road this morning, but I think was just a new one being delivered.  Way to early to plant and risk a freeze off.  JD dealer here is well stocked and seems busy.

Edited by GSTROM99 - 07 Mar 2024 at 3:35pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

In the spring be mindful of too much moisture when moldboard plowing, otherwise you fight ‘clods’ the whole season. Plowing damp, cold soil in the spring is always a gamble. If the soil is shiny coming off the moldboard, it’s too wet.

Lars, I don't think too much moister is a big concern here in Iowa right now! Even after the shower last night it will be dry enough to plow by Sunday.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 12:00pm
Still drizzling yet. How about your area?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 12:47pm
Here, we had on and off showers most of yesterday during the daytime, just before dusk a front moved thru, and it poured for about 1/2 hour. I mean it dumped big time. Today the ground is soggy, garden is mud, overcast currently, forecast was supposed to be sunny at this time.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 6:47pm
We are still pretty soggy too. Tempting to go try and plow some gravel ground but figured time better spent cleaning out calf hutches. Getting too old for forking cow manure but no kids want jobs anymore
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 7:32am
Got a whole two tenths out of what they predicted as like 3/4"!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:40am
Over 1.5 here as town recorded 1.25 last two days
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 12:50pm
We got .82" of rain last night and this morning, temp falling all day heading for 30 by morning, possible flurries tomorrow. I used my B110 and plowed my gardens yesterday, was wet enough.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 1:09pm
Was going to Till our garden patch, MAYBE turn it over with my four bottom but is a Mud Wallow.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:17am
I always plow my garden in the fall. That is a day I just relish! Could have run the disc across it middle of February but have resisted the temptation. Took a big walnut tree down that was on the East side of it Thursday. That should help the garden a bunch!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 12:52pm
Yeah, walnuts don't play well with others. Have a few here that need to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic