This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Oil Qestion/Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Oil Qestion/Advice
    Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 8:57pm
Looking for advise....what oil would you use in a totally rebuilt 226. This engine is my 45 puller. 10w-30, 10w-40 or 15w-40? tractor is not used in the winter months. Should I be adding any additive that's avialable out there to help lubricate the cam and lifters?? is it zinc additive?

Jim

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:02pm

I like a good 10 w- 30 oil . The 15-40 normally is special addatives for a diesel.. but is o.k.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:07pm
Just don't use a synthetic oil until it's had a hundred or so hours on it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:16pm
yah, I am definitely staying away from synthetic until its well broken in. Have been using Quaker State 10w-30 but have herd about a zinc additive for cam and valve lubrication.

Jim
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:26pm
I have 10W30 in my rebuilt D14 with no problems.  Doesn't see much action in the winter either.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Tricky Dickie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:52am
Zinc-based anti-wear additive is already included in the formulation of most good quality engine oils and further additives should be unneccessary.

Tricky Dickie
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 6:15am
Jim, you are right to ask the question. There was a lot of discussion and premature cam failures in the aftermarket car performance world with flat tappet cams after the zinc was removed from the oil particularily with new rebuilds and cam breakins. All current automotive cams are rollers. I know Royal Purple oil was recomended. There may be additives now to solve that problem. I did stock up on the zinc oil but its almost used up now.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 6:49am
I can think of 2 right off that are still flat tappet. Cadillac North Star and Chevy (Daewoo) Aveo.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:31am
Thanks Calvin, yes I am worried about the big block Fairlane and the AC's and heard about the additive. However if there's a brand of oil that will give me the required protection for the cam's in theses old engines it would be great to know.

Thanks,
Jim
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:25am
Yes. It will all be in PM I'm sending you tonight.
I had one question {Technical} that I am waiting on an answer to.
I don't want to give you bad info.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:31am
Last I heard, diesel oils had the better flat tappet package because many diesels have flat tappets in the individual injection pumps with more load than valves. Also oils to older SAE ratings than the current on have more additive. You can check on the make up of oils by looking up their MSDS which lists percentages of contents.

I think zinc additives when passed out the exhaust mess up catalytic converters is why the latest oils have that minimized.

Gerald J.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:44am
Got my answer.
Sending you a pm.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic