This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical questions B12 and B110

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical questions B12 and B110
    Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 11:56am

Hello gang.

I've been lurking here for a bit, but finally joined in. I've been tasked with "waking up" a couple of old Allis Chalmers gems... One is a B12 (with tiller), and the other a B110 (with snowblower n' mowing deck)

Just got a peek at them today, and already have some questions... At a glance the electrical (ignition) seems to have been modified. Pre-reading suggested I would encounter pretty straightforward magneto ignition on a B&S "L" type motor. Not what I found at all... both tractors have an automotive(looking) coil! I found a sparkplug cap coming out from under the shroud on the B12 (and I assume it's connected to a magneto back in there), but the sparkplug is actually connected to an automotive type coil.
 I couldn't get too close to the B110 (buried in a back corner), but it has not only an automotive(looking coil) but a starting solenoid too.

Curious about what should actually be there before trying to figure out what's there now... Any inputs? Any guesses why someone would have changed the ignition system? For ease n' budget, any good reason to not slap a functional magneto back in there?

Both sport 12v starter/generator that seem hooked up properly to the voltage regulator. The B12 still has the heavy duty pushbutton connected. 

Thanks in advance for any/all inputs!

Cam
Sponsored Links

farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Original mag-coil went bad and they didn't want to remove engine to fix it. If restoring I would put new magneto ignition coil in it! Or you can use the mega fire units and even do away with point's on them.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
camster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 4:10pm
 Thanks for the help!
 These are not my gems. I've been asked to wake one of the up for the tiller feature... The more I read, the more I appreciate what's there.

I was hoping a modern mag unit would be done with points, and timing based on flywheel's magnet. What I looked at seems like overkill for a 12hp B&S ignition.

I love to repair all kinds of things, but it's a task that becomes more difficult when an entirely different system has been retrofitted. I doubt these will be show pieces anytime soon...garden is in, and the owner wants to employ the tiller behind one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic