This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 - which mower?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 - which mower?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:24pm
I have recently come into a D17 which I am pretty sure is a series 1 (oval D17 logo). This is my first tractor and it does not have the 3pt conversion kit. I woukd like to mow with it and want to know if there is a mower I can buy that will fit the PTO and drawbar? I know AC made the 160, 172 and 184 mowers but those seem very hard to come by. Is there a modern equivalent that can be used without converting to 3pt hitch???
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:34pm
There are many trailer type mowers available. Woods makes some great ones.put rotary mowers pull type in Google and it'll return a bunch of them. Northern tool has farm King rural King has King cutters. Mowers direct has pro mow. There are a bunch on eBay. Allis ones are old and hard to come by. You might as well buy a new one that someone else ha sent used up it life. Besides you can get parts if you need them. A lot of farms out here use woods mowers they are expensive but very durable.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 03 Oct 2017 at 9:46pm
Roddie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
Thanks, very helpful, let me get digging...
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm

I would look for an Allis Model 80R rear mount or Model 80S side mount.

Both are meant for Allis tractors and are 'full tractor mount'.

Gary
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:01pm
80R and 80 S are sickle bar mowers they are not a replacment for a rotary mower.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:16pm
I pull a 6 foot trail behind with my D15 and it works great, your D17 will probably handle a 7 foot just fine. Look around and you may be able to find a good used one but even then it may be pricey.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic