This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Char-lynn steering motor timing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Char-lynn steering motor timing?
    Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:22pm
Ok, I'm officially confused.

Power steering motor on my '55 WD45 was leaking fluid while parked. I took the nose piece off(output side) and found a simple seal. No problem, and no timing issues. The rest decided it was time to strike out on its own, and it falls to the floor. Now the rest is disassembled, whether I liked it or not. OK, I've run a witness line up the side of the motor, so I know which way each slice went together.

I pull the other end, replace the seal in the case, and slide the thing back together. Didn't even have the pin out of the thing, just take the end cap off, replace seal, put inner o ring in grove , line up witness mark and put bolts back together.

I think all is good, till I mount her back where she belongs, but to my surprise, the tractor now steers ME! The steering wheel just jerks back and forth like a spaz, and when you stop it, it fights you.

I screwed SOMETHING up, but lord only knows what it could have been. What did I do? What needs aligned besides the slices? Like I said, I know there's a pin in the input shaft, as I had to make sure it didn't dislodge, which it didn't. I thought I was all good. Should I have lined the drive gear some how? Did I not do that right? Can someone please help me? I'm at a loss
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:28pm
If I remember right, the pin lines with the valley of star gear. MACK
sling-it View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 10:15pm
I've done some searching, and can only find info on different models. Pretty much it goes like this:

Align timing dot on input shaft with bolt hole, align star point to that dot rotate motor to align bolt holes.

There is no dot, but I do have a keyway on the input shaft, which happens to be aligned with the cross pin.

So I should align the valley with the cross pin?

Can anyone else verify this?

Thanks!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:38am
I put some pics of the timing instructions on here bout 3-4 months ago , might try a search??
either search my posts or maybe char-lynn
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:46am
I done a search and all I get is error message
I'll try the instructions again, sorry for the size
sling-it View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:34am
Well I'll be darned!  THANK YOU!

I did a search, but definitely did not find your post.

This will help a lot.  No wonder she didn't work right.  Now my old girl shall live again :D 
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:47am
I had it saved Michael. Valuable information.
Ray W.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105323&title=power-steering
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 12:45pm
maybe someone could resize this and make a top of the page sticky?? good info with a part number. Moderators?? seems like char-lynn power steering comes up on a fairly regular schedule
sling-it View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 11:03pm
I wanted to thank you guys for the help!

Once apart, I went to the local hydraulic shop who hooked me up with the right seals. After putting it together as shown, this thing works like the day it was built. No more leaking, no sticking spot, nothing. Just pure wheel spinning ease.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic