This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Barn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hydraulics
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:05pm

Finally completed restoration of a CA.  Engine, hand clutch, transmission OK.

But hydrulics are less than perfect.  When I have weight (plow, bush hog etc) on the three point hitch it does not hold the position I set.  Leaks down.  
Used the CA service manual for setting up the pumps and assorted linkage.
What is most likely problem,  leaking checks valve inside pump?  Something else?
I have reworked the hydraulic pumps on B and C model, but have never broken into a CA pump.

It has been a long time since posting on the forum.  Hope all are well.
Thanks
Bob(VA)
Sponsored Links

kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:07pm
it may be the hyd cly on the tractor leaking inside.  How fast are things going down on you
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Allis Barn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Barn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:37pm
I just parked it ten mintues ago with a subsoiler in the raised position.  Now the blade of subsoiler is resting on the ground.  I did replace the packing on one cylinder as there a slight leak to the outside.

Thanks
Bob(VA)
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:58pm
Bob,  If the hyd is leaking it is usually the lift linkage being out of adjustment or and the hold position valve leaking.  The hold position valve is in the bottle shaped valve on the top of th pump.
First be certain the hyd is adjusted for the HOLD position.
A screw - bottom of pump screwed into recess in pump
B screw - screw on bottle shapped item locking plates together
c  screw - screw on end of bottle shaped valve all the way out
d  screw - front of pump nearest rear end all the way out
Now unfortunatley that is from memory - I do hope others are kind enough to correct me.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:15pm
You are correct Bill on the hold position set up however on my CA I can hold position with or without the plates locked together. Its just easier when you can feel the detent.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:51am
There are only 2 ways it can leak down. 1 the hold valve isn't and oil is going back to the sump thru it. 2 oil leaks out of the packing and lets cylinder drift down. There is no way an Allis one way cylinder can leak down internally.
 I guess a third way would be the hose leaking, but you would see that just as well as the packing leak.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 18 Aug 2010 at 7:53am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:56pm
I really don't have anything worth adding, but would like to thank you for spelling "hydraulics" correctly.  For some reason it really grates me when others do not/can not and amazes me on how commonly others do not.
caRon View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:53pm
Man! your right firebrick, that wasn't worth adding. Hope I never misspell a word. 
CA Tractor
Allis Barn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Barn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:52pm
OK, I am back again.  Hope you can bear with me.
Will try and improve my spelling.  I have just noted that this new forum layout has "spell check". I will use.

I rechecked the set up as outlined by Bill Long and cross checked it against my service manual.  The set up is as Bill described.

Maybe I am expecting something the system can not delivery!

When I raise an implement to maximum height and the hydraulic pump is running, the implement stays up.  When PTO or engine is turned off the implement slowly drops to the ground over about five mintues.  Is this the way it is suppose to work?

When I try to set an intermediate height on the amount of lift, like setting the depth of subsoiler blade, system is either coming up or going down. I can not set a specific height (other then maximum height) and have implement hold in that position.  Is these correct operation of the system?   I had assumed that when the detent position was reached, the lift would hold in the position but it does not.

Thanks for help
Bob (VA)
caRon View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:07pm
Allis Barn, if you are considering rebuilding your hydraulic pump, I have a complete parts list with prices I can send you. I ordered everything from Dean Ag. Easy and inexpensive rebuild. Ron
CA Tractor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic