This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blacksmiths Grinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blacksmiths Grinder
    Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:22pm
Does anyone else have one of these Blacksmiths Grinders that run off a wide belt system. Has anyone rigged one up to work with a regular electric motor? anyone know anything about these?
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:31pm
You could probably drive it with a V belt on the flat pulley. Might want to go to a B for a bit more working surface. You can still concoct flat belts for that matter, though you'd like to run that shaft about 3000 RPM for 8" MODERN wheels. Needs guards to catch the fragments when a wheel comes apart. Or you could probably take the tops off the bearings and take at least one wheel off and slip on a modern V belt pulley in the middle. Still needs guards. I kind of like that sturdy rest though. Looks like it has had a guard and has holes to mount guards.

Gerald J.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:05pm
Yes it has a really sturdy base.. not sure if it ever had guards. I doubt it ever ran at 3000rpm.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:09pm
I had one similar and ran it with a v belt. It takes quite a motor. I remember how amazed I was at how long the stones would last. They were about 2 1\2 inches wide.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:18pm
Yes the electric motor in this old Blacksmith shop is hudge! It ran a pile of pullies, gears etc.. including an old band saw for making wooden pieces for wheels.. Up top in the upstairs of the old shop is a hudge wheel thats spins also to provide power.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:24pm
we had one on the old farm that ran from a big old motor and flat pulley.  Came from the blacksmith  shop on a farm up the road.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:28pm
I sure would like to see pics of the shop and shaft setup if possible.
GT in Indiana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:29pm
Looks really cool...  Check the stones very carefully for cracks however.  If you attach a motor and run them at 3000 rpm, it's like standing directly in front of a cannon when they come apart.  I doubt that unit was intended to go that fast.

Safety First!

Gerald 
1955 WD45 we like to call Ruby
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:16pm
I will take some photos of what left of the old place and post them. It's just down the road from my village. Years ago it was a Blacksmith shop and a Saw mill.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
That old unit probably has babbit bearings and the holes on top are oil holes. those bearings probably wouldn't last long at 3000 rpm. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:38pm
Ours ran off a very massive old motor mounted to a timber that leaned against a wall.  The belt drive was short, only three feet or so to the pedestal.  But I am guessing it was a 1200 or 1800 rpm setup.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:42pm
There are folks that play with that stuff.  You might start here and look thru the links. 

http://www.indianablacksmithing.org/
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:43pm
Those wheels should be "ring tested" before running to check for cracks.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:46pm
Jim, that grinder likely ran off a line shaft. It likely was not intended to run at 3000 rpm.
Be carefull. I saw you lurking around Stratford this afternoon.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:26pm
Hi Calvin, yes I was in Stratford my oldest daughter had soccer practice plays for the Strikers.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:29pm
Yes this grinder did run off a line shaft connected to a massive electric motor..I will try and post some pics
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:42pm
Allis Chalmers made many of the carriers used to hold a line shaft. Maybe you have some old Allis equipment in that old shop.
 I have a 1934 South Bend lathe that runs off a  line shaft. I power the line shaft with an electric motor and drive the flat pulley with a v belt.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 28 Mar 2010 at 8:48pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic