This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back when they where new

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

I like going back and reviewing old posts like "When they were new"
    I missed the last photos of the early hand crank B.  Taken in 1942.
Just like I said.  These early Bs came new with single rib front tires. The Aggen Farm first B , A 1939 had single rib front tires.   We can now buy new Firestone Single Rib front tires
 from Miller Tire.
Speaking of tires, I was reading in a book a while back called "Plow Peddler" by Walter Buescher, who was an Allis employee from '36-'75. He said in the '30s/'40s when the tractors were new, the tires were made of natural rubber. Because of this, they began to weather check after just 3 or 4 days in the sun. One time a widow lady bought a model B from his dealership, and after seeing the slight weather checking on the tires, she raised heck saying they tried to sell her a used tractor. He took her to the dealership where a whole carload of Bs were waiting to be unloaded, and pointed out they were all slightly weather checked as well. This satisfied her, and ended the ordeal. 
Sponsored Links

Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 12:22pm
I do remember that the bench seat on the B  was some type of Olive-Drab canvas with some type of water-proofing coating on it; it almost was like a type of tent canvas.  R. Musgrave
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 7:09pm
I too really enjoy the ol pics. Thanks for posting everyone. 
Oldoug, I will say, your family did it's part to keep Allis-Chalmers growing in the 60's and 70's.
   I'll never forget getting off the school bus at my uncle's house, I helped with the evening milking, and seeing the brand new 200 on the silage blower. As a 10 year old kid, it was like Christmas. Wish I had a picture of that. Dad and my Uncle Kenny bought a new 175 with a 500 loader on it, I got to drive it home from Galloway Equipment, it was nasty cold but it didn't bother my a bit. 
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:01pm
Yes Bob, they were canvas of some sort.  I remember one of my uncles calling it something, but I don't remember what it was.  I just know they all had a special name for it.

Yeah Leon, that glow of being so young and getting something so important to do....That would have given me enough heat to be happy too.  I never got to drive anything newer than a D-17. Cry
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:35am
Very nice pictures and histories! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic