This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B engine noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B engine noise
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:55pm

Tried to post this video some time back didn't get any responses so thought I would try again.  Recently got this engine running after rebuilding (my 1st) and it has what sounded in this video like rocker arm or valve adjustment rattle.  Well on examination the rocker arms were worn where they pivot on the shaft, so I made new bushings and installed which eliminated the loose motion, but still has some rattle but sounds now like it might be around the magneto area.   Take a listen and give me some ideas.  Thanks.

Click on the pic to see the video, I think.
Sponsored Links

bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:14pm
I don't know about the sound, but that is an interesting way you have your draw bar sitting. Any specific reason for that?
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:21pm
The man I bought it from said it was for some type plow, but it sure makes a handy step.   I haven't had it off which will happen before painting. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:49pm
Don't know about the noise but that is how they mounted the drawbar for the Snap Couple B's. They didn't have any 39 SC B's though.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:04pm
Tim, I can't help with the noise either.  But on the drawbar, the Wiard brand plows for the B used the standard drawbar mounted to the front like that.  Here's a link to Rod NH's page on the plows... http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/acb/wiards/wiards.htm 
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:26pm
As you speed the engine up..what happens to the noise?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:35pm
Wes(VA) the noise seems more pronounced at slow idle and as the throttle is increased the exhaust becomes louder and the engine noise is not as noticeable.   
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:39pm

Maybe I should explain installed complete engine kit, (liners, pistons, rod and main bearings, cam bearings) had the crankshaft ground, and head worked at napa. 

Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:06pm
hard to tell for sure from here... you've got the valves adjusted to spec?, what about spark timing..it almost sounds like its late.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:47pm
It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from without a muffler on it. I bet a muffler will quiet the noise also. If it doesn't, check your timing. Bob

Edited by Chalmersbob - 11 Feb 2012 at 10:48pm
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:02am

Tim:

I agree with your thoughts that the noise is valve train related.  Since you have been through the rockers and the cam bearings, there isn't much left besides the cam and the lifters. Were the cam journals worn much?  My C's cam has about .002-.003 wear on the journals and it makes some noise, but it's not too bad.  What did your lifters look like when you had them out?  The lifter bores in the block should be checked too, since lifters that wobble in the block will make the kind of racket that you are hearing. Both of the CE engines I've rebuilt had worn lifters that needed to be refaced to restore the convex shape to the cam contact surface.  My lifter bores were OK, but nothing to write home about.

wigtrain View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
Pull the mag and check the impulse coupling. Sounds like the mag is running of the impulse coupling even after it starts. The impulse weights are supposed to retract after the engine starts but sometimes they stick. They'll cause a clicking sound like that.
Jim Wiggin
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 2:10pm
Thanks for the replies,  it possibly could be the magneto impulse coupler as the noise seems to be louder on that side.  Will check that tomorrow after work.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:31pm
One more thought:  How tight are the governor weight pins?  That could definitely be a big part of the clatter...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic