This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Chris  Good for you saving a family tractor!!!  WD's are one of my favorites I have S/N 76000   (51)    Looks like you are doing a great job, keep us posted on your progress.  Mark
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 6:05pm
Thanks for the support folks!
I am going to get into this one as the weather warms a little. From a percent completion its about 35%. Having done my first Allis this past year, hoping this goes a little quicker?
One of the areas that bugs me is the leak issues at just about every joint and orifice!

Ted,
Those are Erie County PA high waters! We get three days warm enough you can wear them:)!

I never ran a WC with the hand brakes, but cant imagine that was any fun at all!

I am starting to tally the cost on the previous WD work, I know I really should not do that, but would like to get a idea of the depth of the pockets needed to bring one of these back from the brink.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:33pm
Geeze Chris, you gotta be careful working around machinery!!  Something ate the bottoms off your blue jeans!
Looks pretty good overall.  I've seen worse (I have one LOL).  Git er done!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:20pm
Appreciate the pix.  (yours looks as good as mine does now BEFORE you started) Bought an aged 1952 WD narrow front a year or so ago as I couldn't afford a WD 45 anywhere around WI.  We had an RC as our only tractor on the farm where I grew up, but I had enough of the hand brakes in my growing up years to last me the rest of my life!  LOL.

Edited by macvette - 10 Jan 2015 at 5:22pm
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:30am
That WD ought to look pretty good when you get her done. Its hard to get started back on project if you've been away from it for awhile, it is for me anyway, I've got one I haven't touched in close to 3 years. Keep posting pics as you go and good luck.
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:25am
thumbs up for saving family history!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:10am
Allis folks,
This WD NFE tractor was purchased by my father in about 1950 or 1951. I think I may have the bill of sale around here for it. It had cultivators which are long gone. He had a John Deere model B for a short time prior to trading for this Allis.

I remember driving this tractor as a kid. Several things stick out in my mind about it. It rarely had a exhaust pipe, and was pretty snorty. I was given the task of dicsing with it, and Dad said don't every put your arm through the steering wheel. I did not have to go far till the old girl snapped the steering wheel out of my hands and the front tires were 90 degrees to the tractor in a instant! Also this tractor always got blower duty on the silo filler. I think it liked it! Dad used this tractor with a crude home made sprayer for the corn and oats.
Dad sold this NFE WD to his brother Jack about the time Dad got the Ford 5000. Early 70's.
Here are some shots as I purchased the tractor in the fall of 2012, and as it currently rests. Hoping I get the ambition to finish it this year.

It is about as rough as they come but was still being used when parked in about 2008.

Not a pretty site but was under cover.

Rear tires were good. Rims need repairs.

Marvel carb and replacement manifold.

fenders are toast

A quick farmers tune up, fresh gas, and a charger on the 6 volt, Started up and seems to run pretty good! Moved out of its tracks for first time in years.

Loaded and headed for home (yea that's me).

After several power washings. This tractor had a mag, my uncle converted it to a distributor.

Fenders and fender plates removed for safety:)

basking in the sun.

Did not have oil pressure, found that the vertical tube in the oil filter was missing.

I wanted to get this road worthy to take to local tractor pull. The front end needed work to repair the worn vertical key way. The WD gets to come in the garage!

New bearings and seals for the front spindles.

Seat shock was shot. ordered good used parts.

Added short stainless exhaust stack, and did a new parts tune up.

Front end gets put back together and this work corrected the shimmy.

Off to the pulls. (Grandson Mike had fun)

Throw out bronze ring broke in the hand clutch, luckily it was in the engaged position so we could use the foot clutch.

tucked in the garage I began taking it apart, cleaning and repairing items. Other projects have sidelined this work and I hope to get back at it this spring. Tractor is stripped to the castings. Final drives are out and new bearings and seals are waiting.

Grill is not good, I found a good used one to replace it.

Tank is in good shape, has been cleaned and in primer.

Dash will need some TLC as tractor will be converted to 12 volt system.

This hood ended up on the WFE WD I just completed. Not sure how that happened.:)
It needed lots of work. exhaust hole was wallowed out and the bolt holes were torched.

Pulled the inner races on the final drive bearings.

Bolts at top of final drive were rusted away and will be replaced.

This is about how it sets, (1-10-15) with a lot of clutter around it. Stiil a lot of work to do. I need to get back at this project! The goal would be to have it ready for the Mid July show.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic