This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 5:16pm
Folks,
I have fat fingers had this all in and hit shift and ctrl and blew me out .
 Anyway here are some pictures.

Front rim without small holes.

The other rim.

Life is good now:)

Maybe the next time I show this shift tower it will have some primer. Must have been 6 coats of PO on this.

Hydraulic pump removed.

I have the kit with all the seals and gaskets from Sandy Lake for this pump. Plus will change the two seals on the shafts of the draft control portion.

One project today was to get the new brake springs from Sandy Lake installed.

Used a length of small chain to bring the eye through the casting.

OK its a start to the WD clean up. Some primer on the tractor!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:01pm
Folks,
 Was able to get out and putter a little with the WD today. Below Zero here this morning.

I found these pieces behind the cam gear. Looks like the governor weights came apart at one time and these were left in there for the ride. Really glad I found and removed these as they could have easily destroyed the engine by getting caught in the gears! I ran the tractor like that for several hours. and I have no idea how long they had been in there. Yikes!

Crank shaft is grooved deep and will need a speedy sleeve and new seal.

Removed the plate covering the push rods and cleaned up in there. Will get new gasket.

Removed the exhaust manifold and one of the bolts broke in half. Was able to get all 6 out they will be replaced.

Oil pan removed for new gaskets. (Don stand on you head and pretend I pulled the engine:))

I have not got up in there and measured the piston size yet. Assume std 4 inch bore on this tractor.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:14pm
Do you have any hints on getting the manifold studs out? 
MN FARM BOY
Luke
www.silsethfamilyfarm.com
Farmer1782178 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer1782178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 10:00pm
A stud extractor, some penetrating oil, and a lot of luck! My grandpa tried to remove mine one time and broke 4 of the studs off and had to drill them out and re tap the holes
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:00pm
I was lucky only one manifold stud broke off, and about 3 inches was still sticking out from  the head. So a good solid grip with vise grips removed all of them. These studs had been replaced once at least when the manifold was changed.
This morning was spent running taps in all threaded holes I could find. Sure makes the assembly process go smoother.
Regards,
 Chris
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 4:42pm
I've found that if the project is in the way where you gotta walk around it every day, it's gets done
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:47pm
Lookin GOOD Chris.  That standing offer of a vacation here is always open! LOL LOL

I've got a BAD leaky manifold on one of my WD45s and I need to get at that this summer.  Wish me luck on broken studs...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:45pm
Ted,
 Thanks for the offer. Sounds more like working on WD series tractors than a vacation?
Go out an squirt some Blaster on those studs at the head and the nuts too!

Les,
I just have to keep poking along, usually paced by the funds available:)

I took the rear main off the WD today and cut out new F gaskets and reinstalled the cap. Only saw minor wear on the rear main lower bearing. Also took off a rod cap and it looked like new. Crank journals looked good under both areas.
Cleaned up the oil pan, and the front timing cover. The pan looks pretty good and the corners at the end seals look to be in good shape and to correct 4-7/8 width dimension.
Did check the piston size and this is std 4 inch bore and stroke WD.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:35pm
Allis folks,
Road trip to Sandy Lake Implement yesterday with WD45 owner Gary G. Picked up a couple gaskets, shift knob and boot, manifold bolts and brass nuts, and gallon of PO#1 and reducer. That should keep me out of trouble for a day or two.
 Hope things are good in tractor land!
Also had a chance to read a copy of Old Allis News, very nice magazine and the articles were very good.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:38pm
Thanks to local tire shop the new front tires are mounted for Dad's WD. $160 for the tires and tubes and mounting. Samson brand tri ribs. Should be good for several days.

Have the speedy sleeve, to install on the crank shaft extension and then can start putting the front cover back on with new crank seal.
Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 8:03pm
I DO like the way those tires and rims look!  Purty!  
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:05pm
Folks,
 Update on the WD as it moves forward slowly. Some of these are in Les' Paint thread too.
Monday: began to wire-wheel paint from castings. Paint stripper had been used prior to get many layers of PO#1 off.
All the rear casting dates are mid January of 1950.

Tuesday evening. Most of the big stuff is off.

After seeing minor surface rust I decided I better get on it!

This after noon got some primer on the bare metal.
This is a big turning point for me on these.

This new compressor helped a lot also:)

I started to use paint stripper on most of the covers and items that need to be bolted on with gaskets. The plan is to clean those, install with gaskets and then prime on the tractor.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:09pm
Yesterday was able to clean up several of the covers and get them primered also.
Today round trip to Pittsburgh to deliver our sons dog and see him off to Philly. We had to stop at Sandy Lake for some WD parts.:)
New battery box, tool box and several gaskets and misc. items to be able to get closer to completed the WD in the months to come.
Biggest cost items remaining are the alternator, battery and all the fluids.
 Weather was nasty! We had poor visibility on I79 for about 30 miles coming north.
Got home and hunkered down for the cold winters night.
Hope things are good in tractor land!
Regards,
 Chris
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:25pm
Chris, The 2 alternators I have on tractors came off old chebby trucks. Both still working after many years of service.
 And they were both free :)

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 14 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:41pm
Been watching your progress along with lots of folks.   Well done!   You are really doing a great job of keeping after it and keeping us informed with GREAT PICS!   Appreciate you taking the time!   EXCELLENT fabrication and attention to detail.  You will have one with great history and your care!  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 10:56am
Charles,
I have been getting my alternators at NAPA. I think they are reconditioned. I am very pleased with the resulted of changing these WD's to 12 volt. This morning the driveways needed plowed again and The Ford Jubilee is headed into one bay of the sugarhouse so its a little protected, and I had it running last night. It started with the 6 volt system but just barely! I went to our daughters today and WD #3 hasn't been started in a couple weeks. Sets outside and was covered with a foot of snow. It fired right up with the 12 volt system with battery to spare! I was impressed! Temp was -10 last night.

rasman57,
Thanks for the kind words! That work you have bone on the "B" is very impressive! Looks like show quality to me. I like how you matched the mower color to the tractor. You will get a lot of comments as folks see you mowing with that 'NEW' tractor. I spent a lot of time on our B on the farm and was always impressed with how snorty it was. Very rarely could we get it stuck. and it hauled a lot of wood for us.

I am a little over the top on pictures and text on my projects, its a little more like a blog, I guess. Hope I don't bore folks to death with trivia:). 

Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 3:05pm
Chris, you are definitely NOT over the top with your pics and explanations!  If we took a poll, I'd bet you might be only boring a couple of people and they probably haven't ever seen a WD or tore into a tractor! Wink

Some of your pics of the gear boxes all cleaned up and new stuff in place will be quite valuable to others on here and for years to come!  CONGRATS on TWO jobs well done!  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I was just thinking that what you have done and written is just another batch that SHOULD be added to a "SPECIAL HOW TO" section on this forum.
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 4:43pm
Ted,
Thanks! If I just spent as much time doing some work as I do detailing the process, I would have this WD completed.:)

Here are some shots of the tool box and the battery box from Sandy Lake Imp. I was very pleased with the quality, the paint ( looks to be PO#1 powder coated) and the price too!

Also items like these, you find when your taking the tractor apart and you go "where am I going to get that"? Folks like our sponsor at Sandy Lake have in stock:

Seat bushings for lower pivot point of seat to brake cover.

Headlight gaskets and the spring clips for the distributor (which were just about rusted away).

Also has anyone repaired the cross shaft rods of the governor? Actually two shafts: the short top pivot shaft with the seal and long cross shaft with the brass bushings. I got new bushings and a seal and three tapered pins. Just have never had one apart yet. While this front timing cover was off I was going to learn something new.
These are the parts for the rebuild:

Front timing cover cleaned up a little. I think I need to drive out the tapered pins.  Have to check my Service Manual too.

Also  forgot to ask if they had repro steering wheels? Last one I got from OKtractors and was very pleased with it too.

Hope things are good out there in Allis land.

On a sad note:
Just heard that the wife's Dad passed away this morning (88 yrs). He had a WC for a long time. He will be missed by his family!

Regards,
 Chris

TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:00am
Here is a link to pictures of my governor rebuild.  It shows the parts you'll find in there etc.  I had a few timing covers to choose pieces from.  Great pictures of yours, keep them coming.  Thanks, Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~old_allis/ac-wc-gov.html
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by TomMN TomMN wrote:

Here is a link to pictures of my governor rebuild.  It shows the parts you'll find in there etc.  I had a few timing covers to choose pieces from.  Great pictures of yours, keep them coming.  Thanks, Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~old_allis/ac-wc-gov.html

Tom,
 Thanks for sharing the great information on the restoration of your WC! Your pictures and your work are just awesome! The documentation will help many folks like me as we work on these tractors!
I believe I saw a WD45D that you did also? Super job too! You make it look easy!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:36pm
Been too cold in these parts to work on anything, -30 degrees F this morning. Truck would not start. Maybe frozen gas line? I did pick up a PREVAL aresol can from NAPA for painting. Will try this is in few weeks. Also got parts for my air filter system for compressor.
Hope things are good out there!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Feb 2015 at 3:37pm
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:08pm
That thing is looking GREAT! Awesome attention to detail
In the shed- 7020,7060, L2 X (2), CII, WD X (2), 200, 210, 611H, 440, Fiat Allis 345B
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 7:18pm
You are our hero, man! Nice . Nice . NICE!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:02am
Thanks guys,
Folks, some pictures of the WD timing cover refurb. work.

The goal is to remove two worn bushings on the cross shaft and also replace the oil seal on the short shaft.

inside view prior to dis assembly.

Front cover removed exposing spring and tapered pin locations.

Also good ref for putting it back together:)

Seal on short shaft

Tapered pins removed with punch

Cross shaft and components in order of assembly

Bushings on both ends of this tube to be removed.

Removed tapered pin from short shaft.

Big end of pin is down and needs to be inserted from bottom when putting this back together.

Short shaft components in order of assembly.

Seal was pried out.

Inside bushing was tapped out with a 5/16 dia rod. This bushing did not have much wear. which makes sense since it is close to the action and gets some more oil.

5/16 dia all thread and a nut ground down to fit inside the tube was used with bench built slide hammer to remove the outer bushing.

The outer bushing was worn .020 out of round. Should there be a seal some where in this end?? Doesn't seem to be anything. Maybe a dust seal?

New seal to be installed for short shaft.

I used a dab of red silicone around the outside of the seal.

Outer bushing installed. Note this went in hard, and the bore closed a little. had to gently ream the I.D. for the shaft to fit.

Bushing on inside was modified to add a more generous lead in and then pulled into place with a large "c" clamp.

This was one of those, while your in there items. Not sure if this would have been a leak issue? Will try to get it back together today.

Maybe this will help someone working on these WD series tractor if they have not had this apart.
Comments always welcome. I am learning as I go on these machines.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Feb 2015 at 9:02am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:50am
You are really going to town Chris!!  Do you have grease all over your camera?  LOLLOL
GREAT job, on both the tractor and the web page with the pics!  KEEP IT UP!
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 6:32pm
Ted,
 The camera is taking a beating! Its the most used tool in the box.:)

Folks,
Not moving very fast on this WD project. I try to clean up a few bolts each day. I have most of the bolts for the main covers cleaned inspected and primed. So I can start some assembly work to button the tractor back up. Hopefully will have most of the covers on before we begin to make maple syrup in a week or so.

I did get the timing cover back together on the WD. By the way I followed Don(MO)'s advise and got new tapered pins from Sandy Lake for the two 3/8 shafts.

Here are some shots with the timing cover installed, with new gasket. The cover had to be pushed down a little to get the best crank shaft to cover alignment. I used a drill bit shank to check the alignment of the case to the crank, and then snugged it in place and adjusted the cam pressure screw.

Installed new crank seal. Used a 1.5 inch dia piece of plastic PVC pipe a foot long, as the driver and a 1 lb ball peen hammer as the force. It went in very nice and straight, and looks to have good contact with the speedy sleeve on the crank too. I put just a thin coating of gray gasket sealer on the cover, prior to installing the seal.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:19pm
Folks,
 Getting back to this WD project. Maybe it will get a little warmer, we can only hope!

I need a good used pulley from a generator that I can transfer to the new alternator. I picked up the 12 volt alternator today at NAPA. Seems I have used all the good pulleys that I have for the other two tractors that I converted. Anyone have one? I may call Sandy Lake and see if they have one.

Also ordered the repro steering wheel for the WD last night too. I plan to buy a new piece of steel for the 7/8 inch dia. steering rod.
Today moved all the sheet metal and the tires from around the WD, out to the other building for some room too start work again. Just have not felt good for two weeks with nasty head cold.
One of the next projects is to get the new oil pan gaskets in place, and the oil pan back on. Then the side cover plate and gasket and the rearend cover plate / gasket. Then the final drives.
Many parts to clean and prep.
July 17 will be here soon!
 That's the date of our local Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine show, featuring Allis- Chalmers tractors and machinery. Sagertown PA.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 12:54pm
Folks,
 Picked up a good used pulley for the alternator from Gary G. Thanks!

Weather has been a little better. Got a few of the covers installed.

Here is the rear cover and gasket installed.

Cover under the starter.

Side cover and new gasket on WD engine.

Pan gaskets held in place with a light coating on Indian head shellac. Note the guide pins in place to help align the pan.

Pan end gaskets in place with 3 clips each end.

Just a small dab of gray silicone in the corners as recommended by Don.

Pan gently tightened into position

Total time for this installation about 1 hour.

The electrolysis tank is back on line and cleaning crud, paint, and rust off parts.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Apr 2015 at 12:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:19pm
Shift tower finally got in position with improvements made.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Apr 2015 at 1:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 6:44am
Folks,
Some shots of the current status of the WD project. Feels like this tractor might come back together.

Caution WET paint!

Used same paint as the last WD (Van Sickle Tisco) but added hardner this time. I like it much better. Seems to have a little more gloss?

Started some assembly work.

Final drives are in place except for the lower pan. The inner clip is always a challange to get on the shaft. Races, bearings and seals and shaft went together nice.

Ordered a set of exhaust/intake manifold gaskets from Sandy Lake. Manifold is scheduled to go in E tank in next few days.

I think Dad would be tickled with the progress!
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic