This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allis chalmers 616 front tire interference issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allis chalmers 616 front tire interference issue
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:01pm
where do you guys think my issue lies? both tires either touch or come close. hubs have new bearings, races, seals.

David

Edited by coggonobrien - 25 Apr 2015 at 12:03pm
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:43pm
Are your tires the proper factory called for sized ???---also some brands of tires have an extra layer of rubber along the side wall and this makes for a go--no go fit on some applications!
2) do you have the right rims on your unit?

3)You could cut an re-position the rims to gain the clearance, (a LOT of work) but a possible cure.

4) grind some off the tie rods.---do you have the right sized tie rods ?? If your rims bolt to hubs ,--add spacers behind rims. thanks; ac fleet
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 1:00pm
Looks like ya need some spacers on the spindle to shim em out.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 1:37pm
Tirs/wheels are right. I will burn some spacers.
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 1:46pm
Anybody know the bolt pattern
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:59pm
Have you had your deck on it? Might want to see how close it runs to it. Has your had the factory service update done to front axle tube? Are those factory rims, are they centered or off set? Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
AcFordHawk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcFordHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 9:18am
Bolt pattern is 4.5" X 5.
IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E
Brad in WA View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:02am
Like Tracy said, might want to check clearance if your putting deck on it. My 620 axle was slightly bent and tire would rub.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:00pm
the originalgood years on mine are realy close about 1/8 to 3/16 clearance     tracy what are the service updates
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:26pm
The factory service bulletins showed two things to do. One was the axle tube had a block with a tapped hole welded to the front axle frame. This kept axle from wobbling and letting tires rub the mower deck. The other was to add a bead of weld to the spindle housing to keep the front tires from rubbing frame in a hard steering turn. HTH Tracy
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 8:01pm
I have a 620, tires are 20x8.0-10 Goodyear, look similar in pattern. I don't know if the wheels are stock or not (offset issue). I see my sidewall clearing 1/2" on the left, 3/4" on the right. One thing I noticed is I have much less thread showing out of the tie rod. Can the arms be re-indexed? I thought it was just a single woodruff key, not a spline.
My right tire can just barely rub the deck. Another thing, mine turns sharper one direction vs. the other.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 9:20pm
It has a single woodruff key in spindle. There are 2 types of spindles. One is heavier that the other. Most noticeably on the steering arm itself. Your toe in and out could possibly be wrong. Check the steering arm out of the box. Count the total turns it will make from one extreme to the other, center it, and then see where your front tires are. They should center up also. The toe in is controlled by the front tie rod, it should be close to the same thread showing on each end. I would try to have the toe in about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. HTH Tracy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic