This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All WD radiator Shrouds have Wasps Nests?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PatrickBeth View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickBeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All WD radiator Shrouds have Wasps Nests?
    Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 8:01am
Picked up four shrouds for the WDs, all of which came from salvage reactors, makes you wonder what lives in running tractors....
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 9:59am
LOTS of mice........
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 10:04am
Anything that sits for too long (maybe a day or more) where I live will spawn mud dobber nests with a quickness.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 10:06am
buzzing wasps give added cooling

mouse nests give added warmth...

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 12:28pm
I hand cranked a WD45 with a dead battery and an active wasps nest. Was sure glad when it started! It sucked those wasps tight against the radiator.  When I got done bush hogging with it half an hour later, they were still alive and really angry!
FHOliver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHOliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 2:16pm
They find lots of spots, like in the brake drum and when you move they come out of the little hole and right up your pants leg. wow they never seem too happy either !
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickBeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 2:23pm
Lol
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 9:32pm
yes, they also like the air cleaner in addition to the already pointed out brakes area.  Oh, and toolboxes
A quick fix for the brake hole is to shoot a good shot of ether in there early in the morning.

Edited by WC7610 - 28 Dec 2015 at 10:48pm
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 10:36pm
Lol on the brake hole. Never thought of that. My recent terror was a folded up umbrella on my wd. I hate wasps.     How about outdoor fuse panels?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:14am
Wasp and mouse-nests are standard-from-factory features on all farm machinery.

The original name WaspNest was actually developed as the "Automatic Security System' (A.S.S.), while MouseNest was developed under the moniker of 'Passive Intentional Security System' (P.I.S.S.). The concept of A.S.S. was nothing more than to discourage a thief or vandal from approaching a protected piece of equipment. The concept of P.I.S.S. was to render the equipment unuseable by either disabling critical electrical functions, or locking brakes, and finally, if there's any owner's manual or documentation that could be stolen, to automatically 'encrypt' it into a form permanently illegible by anyone.

IMO, it's an extremely annoying feature... like the 'back up assist' and 'automatic traction control' and 'anti-lock brakes' of my new truck, the 'wasp nest' feature, BOTH A.S.S. and P.I.S.S. are essentially ineffective against theives and vandals, and most discouraging to the actual owner.

While it's not posted on the sticker, one can request the "Wasp-Nest Delete" or "Mouse-Nest Delete" as a special order performed by the dealership, but like your satellite radio and extended coverage warranty, it's a 'subscription' service that cannot actually ever be permanently 'removed'... it's a process that must be repeated regularly, which is very annoying, and very expensive, so most wind up performing the delete procedure themselves. Some go to great lengths to disable A.S.S. and P.I.S.S., including, but not limited to, moving the most prized equipment into air-tight armored steel protective containers, however, this isn't always entirely effective. Regularly using the machinery TENDS to reduce the occurrance of system activation.

The marketing decision to incorporate A.S.S. and P.I.S.S. into all farm equipment is a plot by green-commie antivegetarian wikken alien frog-people, to bring down our society while they promolugate crop circles, loofa, and overpriced craft beer.

BTW... Happy New Year!   
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
A-C 608 ltd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-C 608 ltd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

yes, they also like the air cleaner in addition to the already pointed out brakes area.  Oh, and toolboxes

A quick fix for the brake hole is to shoot a good shot of ether in there early in the morning.

Another thing I've found is shoot it with WD-40 which kills the wasps almost instantly. Also it keeps them away for about a year. It's always worked for me.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 4:52pm
Pressure wash the tractor with a little bleach mixed in just don't get bleach on your wires as it isn't good on insulation but it will break down the sent trails all those critters use to mark your tractor as a good place to make their home. Brake cleaner is the best for killing wasps they fall right out of mid flight dead by the time they hit the ground.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:09pm
I split a junker D-12, middle of the summer and found a whole colony of little bumble bees ( the stingin kind) that had moved into an old mouse nest there...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:25pm
I've found wasps under seats before.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickBeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:42pm
Now I start to wonder what's under my AC B?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 11:02am
Sheesh... all that effort to shed a candle upon the minute realities of life, and it didn't so much as summon one razzberry...

Guess I better not quit my day-job...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 11:33am
I liked it Dave. Good reading. I understand the factory implemented systems a little more now.
This appears to be a deep subject for you. Or just plane DEEP something!
Ray W.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:22pm
I had a huge nest of wasps in the little dome of a LP storage tank. Really ticked them off too when I opened it !!
Brian-KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:47pm
twine box on the baler is always a good hiding place for wasps .... I keep a can of wasp spray on the tractor because you never know where they will come from next!
EAT BEEF!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:51pm
Battery boxes on the HD11 is another place they pleasantly surprise you.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:13pm
I spray painted barns part time one summer. I learned how to fix those flying varmints, while up up a lader, just give them a shot of paint. It sticks there wings together and knots them out of the sky real quick.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickBeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:15pm
Drove to central Wisconsin today, climbed over 5 WD-45 getting some parts! No wasps! Should say we just got about 10 inches of snow, and in the mid 30s today! Perhaps tractor salvage is a winter activity....
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by PatrickBeth PatrickBeth wrote:

Drove to central Wisconsin today, climbed over 5 WD-45 getting some parts! No wasps! Should say we just got about 10 inches of snow, and in the mid 30s today! Perhaps tractor salvage is a winter activity....
Most certainly! That goes for COMBINES too!!! Rattlesnakes LOVE to hide in those things!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:40pm
Sorta' gives a new meaning to the saying: "working the bugs out". I've found to, that Brakekleen is better than any flying insect repellant known to man. As a matter of fact, it works great on any insects, especially the giant ones that look like they should have license plates on them! Its also awesome for removing grease out of the office carpet or your velour interior in your vehicle without a trace. (don't ask me why I know this) With mice, its always amazed me that when they have a steady diet of your wiring system, why they don't S*%t colored turds?  Oh well... back to work.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 8:45pm
They do Steve, it's  black or brown!  And that is cute!!  Working the bugs out!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Dave Kamp, you have TOO much time to sit and think... or maybe not...  Is this "thoughts 2 from the pot"?? Big smile Big smile

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickBeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:32am
Maybe that's why I don't pick the donut with sprinkles?
cosborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:18am
Paintball marker. Good old reliable cci phantom 12gram. Wasp nest, flying rats and red doted spiders. Also works on the wayward chicken when it fines the garden patch, Just rember to aim at the feet more!! :)

Ive gotten really acurte with that thing this past year. No stings. And about five cans of spray. ;p
1949 "C" vin #c71215, 1939 "B" Wide front, WD45 nf, WD45 wf, 1941 "C" work in progress. Wd wide front
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

With mice, its always amazed me that when they have a steady diet of your wiring system, why they don't S*%t colored turds? 

LMAO!!!

Really, Steve... you'd think that to survive, they'd at least be more positive, than negative...
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm
The MOST entertaining post so far this year ! Yes Brake clean, even the trichlor  free stuff kills flying things fast.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:55pm
So I did see a lot of mouse nests as I worked on the rear ends of the WD's.

But the most unkindly act of tractor terrorism was a lowly robin that built a nest of small sticks, twine, dry grass, leaves and other combustible items that made just a wonderful smokey fire as I was working the old WD this summer. Well now, I would have traded that moment for a couple good bees stings any day. Just so happened that I got slowed down quick and did a prompt dismount to see what that smoke, wait, by now it was a small birds nest inferno on top of the valve cover, up under the hood, next to the gas tank!
 Well them robins sure know how to plant the seeds of terror. As I was pretty much deciding if it was going to burn up or was I brave enough to snuff the blaze?
Wearing gloves helped and I dug out the chaff filled fire ball and extinguished the nest, which seemed to be half the size of a bale of hay! Whew that was close!
They came back and built it again in a week. I was ready for them that time and as the pesky robin took flight I gave it a real talking too.
So watch out for the WD, bird house scenario! Very dangerous! Probably could have won $10,000 on AFV. But was not funny at the time.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic