This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a couple more questions on my forty-five

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a couple more questions on my forty-five
    Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 11:09pm
I have to pester you guys with a couple more questions on forty-five road grader. First; on the left side of the operator's platform, towards the front, a lever sticks up and the linkage below the platform from it appears to go into the transmission. What does that lever do? And secondly, on the engine, right below each exhaust port, there are some cap looking gadgets, each held on by 2 bolts. What are they, and would removing them get me an access to spray some oil into the cylinders? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:35am
Darrel,

The LHS lever goes to a brake on the front end of the gearbox.  In this version it is like a clutch assembly.  Sort of a hand brake I think. From one on whose grader this barely works and the rear wheel brakes are non-existent.  As the previous owner said - use the blade, and sometimes it doesn't go down fast enough.

The plugs on the head are the "energy cells" of the Lanova injection system.  Which, in my view, was a work-around of Ricardo's patent of the usual injector/precombustion chamber/ piston area sequence.

The Lanova system seems to have happened with a number of US diesels.  Basically it involves a horizontal injector blowing fuel across the top of a flat-topped piston into the energy cell where magic things happen according to the book.  The manual has dire warnings on lapping the various bits in if removed and not cleaning with metallic objects.
And you need to follow the injector spray patterns that are acceplable. 

And, IMO and sarc/on, if all these magic things had happened, Allis's next move wouldn't have been to the vertical injector with combustion chamber in piston setup of the 10000 engines.  For which I'm told there is a hell of a lot less head trouble.

While the fallback was a GM 4/71 as in AD4, with 20/20 hindsight I'd probably have gone for a 10000 if I hadn't tripped over the short motor we got.  And an interesting re-power would have been a Fiat OM3 as in a FA 10 dozer (we've got one of these), which is similar power, came in industrial PTO form and was used in some headers (combines to you).  Similar power and less fuel use.  I'll need reincarnation to try this though.

Others will probably dispute both the above!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic