This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

427435?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:27pm
The pic of the 7000 series with an 8000 cab is from
Norm Swindfords book.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
Sponsored Links

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 427435 427435 wrote:

Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

I wonder if an ex Case stylist worked of the new model?

I don't know when or who did the rendering.  However, when Bunkie Knutson became CEO of White Motor (after being fired from Ford), he brought along a well know stylist, Larry Shinoda.  He was quite a character and fun to work with. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Shinoda

Does anyone remember the hood ornament that was on the front of the first White Farm tractors?  It was a take-off of the Lincoln hood ornament and Larry meant it to be a middle figure salute to Ford.  Shocked

The cab in the rendering is really pretty generic.  Most of the cabs in that era looked much the same if sitting by themselves and painted black---------once the firewall was moved forward for ease of entry and the windshield sloped back for style.  The obvious exception was the round front Deere (about as hard to get into as the 7000 Series cabs), but they couldn't move their firewall forward because of their screwy "mid" engine location.

I remember the first time I saw that emblem on a White I thought a farmer had taken off of a Lincoln but here it was the designer! lol That explains that.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

When I read about Jim talking about the prototype engine, I figured it would have been something out of the Hercules plant, since White had bought that, and had a huge expansion, only to sell it off to MF/Perkins. But once I saw pictures, it looks like a Waukesha. It would be cool to see the number on the injection pump tag. It looks like a run of the mill Roosa DB. I too also thought the Whites resembled the 30 series Deere. If all you could see was the shadow, you'd never know which was which lol! 

Did you notice the location of the pump Ed? I don't know if it was on a production engine before but I remember when the Agcos and New Hollands had them on Cummins engines a few years ago it was the latest and greatest. At least until they came out with the common rail.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

The Deere cab was just as dumb to get into as the 7000 series cab. Then look at that center post all day long. I always told my Deere buddies that is why they planted crooked, they couldn't see out.
       IG

And looking through the curved glass would make a straight row looked crooked.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Allis 8050 Allis 8050 wrote:

[QUOTE=peterson]7000 series that could have been!
[/QU
 OTE] what book is that pic from

The picture is from Norm Swinford's "A guide to Allis-Chalmers farm tractors". Great read, a fair amount of prototype pictures. The 7060 pictured is my favorite tractor prototype picture. That thing is sharp!!!

Link to Norm Swinford book
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:20pm
JimIA,
Thanks for the link to Norm Swinford's book. I just ordered a copy. I wasn't aware that it was available in paperback.
catfish_447 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfish_447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:08pm
This is a great read, thanks 427, I know I've read your posts before on some of the same stuff, glad to read them again. And hats off for the design of the 8000 cabs! Much better than the 7000's and light years ahead of everyone else at the time!
'53 WD, '35 WC
At some point in your life you will need a doctor, lawyer or possibly a politician. But for every day of your life, three meals a day, you will need a farmer.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 12:29am
EricPA, I know JD made frames for Winnebago, maybe others.  Later, in the 90's they were building running gears for those bus kind of vehicle that looks like a street car.  Don't think they have JD engines.  Rode on one in El Paso, TX 20 years ago or so, driver said they were having some problems with them, don't remember what.

Thanks 427 for all the info on White, etc.!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
bdallman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:01am
Ha! That pic of the 7000 with 8000 cab came from me. the carpet in the pic gave it away! Lol..I love norm Swinfords book!

Anybody with a love for AC should have a copy.

Thanks
Brett
1954 CA, 1952 WD with Freeman Loader,1955 WD45, 1963 D19 Gas, 1984 620H, 1980’s AC Forklift, 66 All Crop Harvester, White Top Roto Baler, Misc S.C. Equip and AC Collectibles.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:13am
Very interesting post. Thanks for all the good info. I would have loved to have been there for all of that. AC went out of business when I was 5.
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:33am
Wow! That cab makes the 7060 quite a looker!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 2:34pm
this is what I done to my 8010, their not perfect by a long ways, but their a lot more easy on the arm and shoulder when moving a lot of bales
GWS View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:32pm
I can't help but wonder how hard would it be to mount an 8000 series cab onto a 7000 series. It does look good. Would it take a factory full of engineers and mechanics?
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 11:00am
How did the study go on mounting the Deutz engine in an 8000 series tractor?
That would have been an interesting tractor and would have done the company a lot better then what they did.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

That would have been an interesting tractor and would have done the company a lot better then what they did.

It didn't go very far.  I met with one of their engineers over in the Allis corporate building and went over general things like bell housing mounting patterns, stress on the engine block from loads being transferred through the frame to the engine etc.

Once Deutz decided to close the tractor plant, why mess around with putting their engine in the AC tractor for a year. 

Yes, the Krauts handled things very badly.  A Deutz engine in an orange West Allis designed tractor would have been much, much easier to sell and get people used to their air-cooled engines.  By the way, their engines were not that great in many ways.  Despite claims to good fuel efficiency, their bare engine fuel consumption was nothing special.  Their tractors got good fuel efficiency at Nebraska testing, but those tractors had no power shift capabilities and weak hydraulic systems---------both of which decrease fuel economy as measured at Nebraska.

Related story:  Minneapolis-Moline had two hydraulic systems in the 60's and 70's.  One was a simple, relatively low volume gear pump used on the wheatland tractors that had a low hp draw.  The row crop tractors had a much higher capacity system (closed center) that had a higher hp draw when not in use.  Guess which one we took to Nebraska for testing?? 
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 9:49pm

Assuming you are not using the hydraulics on the tractor with the closed center system, why would that tractor have a high horsepower draw? The whole idea behind closed center was when there is no call for hydraulic power, the pump goes into no-stroke mode and consumes very little horsepower????

Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

It didn't go very far.  I met with one of their engineers over in the Allis corporate building and went over general things like bell housing mounting patterns, stress on the engine block from loads being transferred through the frame to the engine etc.

Once Deutz decided to close the tractor plant, why mess around with putting their engine in the AC tractor for a year. 

Yes, the Krauts handled things very badly.  A Deutz engine in an orange West Allis designed tractor would have been much, much easier to sell and get people used to their air-cooled engines.  By the way, their engines were not that great in many ways.  Despite claims to good fuel efficiency, their bare engine fuel consumption was nothing special.  Their tractors got good fuel efficiency at Nebraska testing, but those tractors had no power shift capabilities and weak hydraulic systems---------both of which decrease fuel economy as measured at Nebraska.

Related story:  Minneapolis-Moline had two hydraulic systems in the 60's and 70's.  One was a simple, relatively low volume gear pump used on the wheatland tractors that had a low hp draw.  The row crop tractors had a much higher capacity system (closed center) that had a higher hp draw when not in use.  Guess which one we took to Nebraska for testing?? 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Assuming you are not using the hydraulics on the tractor with the closed center system, why would that tractor have a high horsepower draw? The whole idea behind closed center was when there is no call for hydraulic power, the pump goes into no-stroke mode and consumes very little horsepower????

That's what sales claimed, anyway.  Still a hydraulic system with both a high flow and high pressure capability, consumes some hp at standby.  A gear or gerotor pump with a relatively low flow rate and minimal lines and remote valves requires less parasitic hp.  Anyway, that was the case in the 60's with the MM pumps.  Their closed center piston pump wasn't as advanced as AC's------------it stopped pumping, but maintained the full system pressure.

Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

xr4ticlone View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:38pm
We've got an 8070, 8010, 7060 (maroon belly) and all have been great tractors.

We're big German's so the 7000 series cabs are not much fun to get in and out of for us...but they've been good machines (had a 7000 before).

I'd love to put an 8000 cab on the 7060...but I'm sure cost would be insane vs just buying a 8050.  

I've really enjoyed reading your posts.  Thank you very much.

It seemed that A/C was way ahead in product development, but struggled with marketing/sales/dealer management.   I had a customer buy an 8010 from a junk yard to rebuild as a winter project.  He was shocked when he realized it was basically the same cab as his 8300 deere.   He said "I'm trying to figure out why I didn't buy one of these instead of the 4040 I bought...this is so much nicer"   :  ).

As for Cummins (I work for a Case CE dealer in sales) but as I understood the relationship from Case's side, the off road production of engines was theirs.  On-road was Cummin's (Consolidated Diesel) so I'm a little shocked Cummins even approached A/C.   Although it would have been cool.
JCFarms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCFarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

this is what I done to my 8010, their not perfect by a long ways, but their a lot more easy on the arm and shoulder when moving a lot of bales

Can't see the picture anymore, Michael V (NM)
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

427435, Did A-C farm out the actual production of the cab to Hiniker in Minnesota? I thought I read that somewhere.

Both the 6000 and 8000 cabs were initially built in LaPorte.  When that plant was closed, the cabs were put out on bid.  A company in the Quad Cities got the 8000 cab and Crenlo in Rochester, MN got the 6000 cab..

As for Deutz, karma caught up with them.  They lost so much money with the Deutz-Allis mismanagement that they eventually had to sell out to Same.  Clap

Now that said alot the only good thing about the Same we bought in the early 80s wa the deutz motor. The rest of that tractor belonged in the scrap metal factory on day 1.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 1:43pm
Mark this is a great read. I would be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the deutz 912 serries.   That is what Same used in the 105 we had and that 6 cylinder diesel was the most efficient of the tractors we had one was an old case 100hp form the 70s I don't remember the model and the other was an ih 986.   Of the 3 the deutz was alot more efficient just sitting on our pto generator.   But that Same was the biggest pos I have ever seen they couldn't even make a gear shift lever that wouldn't break off in your hand when you shifted the tractor.   Honest to god we had to replace them every 4 years or so.
I have always liked air cooled diesel engines simply because you don't have a coolant system to fail or freeze. I have toyed with the idea of putting one in my farmall h or in a d17. I might do the farmall h for real. That seems like a cool project and I really don't want another gas tractor to feed.
What is your take on air cooled diesel motors? I have one of those cheap little Chinese 10 hp diesel engines in a little case ingersoll 448 that I have used to rake hay with all summer that is the coolest little tractor it burns almost no fuel and does a great job with my rake.
Anyway i really enjoyed reading the allis chalmers history and hearing about what they looked into doing.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm
JCFarms, I sent you a PM
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 7:56pm
Mark:
I have really, really, enjoyed this storyline.  So very great that we still have a few of you actual AC people that can fill these storylines with actual data!

Keep 'em coming.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:53pm
Don'tcha just love the sound of a Detroit in a Case or a Oliver and wish a D21 had that sound.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:28pm
Mark, thanks for sharing your AC work experiences. Yes, this topic is a great read. Interesting times with Deutz in 1984. Also, I thought AC built their own cabs - not. What other tractor components were also hired out?
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by xr4ticlone xr4ticlone wrote:

We've got an 8070, 8010, 7060 (maroon belly) and all have been great tractors.

We're big German's so the 7000 series cabs are not much fun to get in and out of for us...but they've been good machines (had a 7000 before).

I'd love to put an 8000 cab on the 7060...but I'm sure cost would be insane vs just buying a 8050.  

I've really enjoyed reading your posts.  Thank you very much.

It seemed that A/C was way ahead in product development, but struggled with marketing/sales/dealer management.   I had a customer buy an 8010 from a junk yard to rebuild as a winter project.  He was shocked when he realized it was basically the same cab as his 8300 deere.   He said "I'm trying to figure out why I didn't buy one of these instead of the 4040 I bought...this is so much nicer"   :  ).

As for Cummins (I work for a Case CE dealer in sales) but as I understood the relationship from Case's side, the off road production of engines was theirs.  On-road was Cummin's (Consolidated Diesel) so I'm a little shocked Cummins even approached A/C.   Although it would have been cool.

If I remember correctly, Cummins and Case had setup a separate company to produce the new B and C engines.  Cummins had the right to sell those engines to anyone interested.  It was in the best interests of both parties to get more and more of the those engines produced.  At least Cummins wanted us to buy them very badly.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Mark this is a great read. I would be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the deutz 912 serries.   That is what Same used in the 105 we had and that 6 cylinder diesel was the most efficient of the tractors we had one was an old case 100hp form the 70s I don't remember the model and the other was an ih 986.   Of the 3 the deutz was alot more efficient just sitting on our pto generator.   But that Same was the biggest pos I have ever seen they couldn't even make a gear shift lever that wouldn't break off in your hand when you shifted the tractor.   Honest to god we had to replace them every 4 years or so.
I have always liked air cooled diesel engines simply because you don't have a coolant system to fail or freeze. I have toyed with the idea of putting one in my farmall h or in a d17. I might do the farmall h for real. That seems like a cool project and I really don't want another gas tractor to feed.
What is your take on air cooled diesel motors? I have one of those cheap little Chinese 10 hp diesel engines in a little case ingersoll 448 that I have used to rake hay with all summer that is the coolest little tractor it burns almost no fuel and does a great job with my rake.
Anyway i really enjoyed reading the allis chalmers history and hearing about what they looked into doing.

I've never worked with any Deutz engine-----------just reviewed the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) curves that they published.  Nothing spectacular in them.  Most people don't realize that Deutz depended heavily on their oil cooling system to keep their engines cool.

The Chinese have gotten pretty good at building small air cooled engines-----------there are lots used in Asia.  As a side note, the small Lombardini diesel engine used in the 1984 and 1985 Allis and Simplicity garden tractors is a fine air cooled engine.  Built like a jewel and sips fuel also.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Mark, thanks for sharing your AC work experiences. Yes, this topic is a great read. Interesting times with Deutz in 1984. Also, I thought AC built their own cabs - not. What other tractor components were also hired out?

They did at LaPorte for the 6000, 7000, and 8000 tractors until LaPorte was closed.  That happened before West Allis was shut down.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:35pm
Lombardini diesel engine used in the 1984 and 1985 Allis and Simplicity garden tractors is a fine air cooled engine. Built like a jewel and sips fuel also.
Now that is sort of funny I have a lombardini in my pasquali from that vintage that I need to rebuild.   It half the reason I like the air cooled diesel motors.   I wanted to put one of them on my farmall h but the rpm range is totally wrong they spin up about 3200rpm. If memory serves me right. I have been thinking about the 4 cylinder onan diesel used on the military generators.   
I know what you mean about the deutz depending on the oil it is even listed as oil cooled in alot of places.
As I said the only thing I know about them is the one we had was better then the ih 986 from the same time frame. Always figured that was because the deutz had a fuel return line at the injectors and the ih didn't.
I am not sure the onan which is a lister design is very efficient maybe if I go that route I should try and track down a lombardini.   They are just more rare and expensive.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 3:09pm
The factory cab for the model 200 tractor (and also 210/220) was also LaPorte built.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic