This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 Diesel problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 Diesel problems
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:14pm
I need help on trying to get my 185 to run right. It seems to run out of fuel but there is plenty in the tank. All the filters are clean and new. I cleaned out the tank and settlement bowl. It starts up and the rpm's are high but then it starts to loose power and rpm's and then quits. What should I do next??
Sponsored Links

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:13pm
Like I did...buy a 3 foot clear line and clamp it on the end of the fuel line where it enters the hand primer, and other end to filter inlet. Pressurize tank and watch the massive amounts of air bubbles go by...keep doing that until the air is gone, then bleed from filter to pump and see what you have.
stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:21pm
I would first take a hose and run it to a fuel can and let it run a while. see if and when it stops, if it does then take the fuel cap off and see if it starts again if it does then it is the tank vent. If not then start looking for restrictions some where. May even be in the tank. There was a post not to long ago with a 180 that didn't the same and it was a Butterfly had gotten in the tank and would float over the tank outlet and plug it up. 
1969 190XT series 3
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm
Weight retainer has came apart in pump pluging the return in top of pump. Loosen timeing window enough for fuel to run out. Crank it up and it should run ok. If it runs ok with timing window loose, rebuild pump.  MACK
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 5:12am
180 man, did you pull the fuel sediment bowl head completely off the line from the tank?  I just had a issue with trash in the inlet side of the bowl just above the shut off valve, hole is less than 1/4" and turns 90 degrees as it enters the port for the shut off, had a hair ball there that had to remove the entire base to see and to remove.  I removed the fine mesh screen in mine as well some years ago as it loaded up way too easy and shut the engine down rather readily.  Allisman, Niel at Northside or another mechanic on here coached me to check here.
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 6:40am
About 7-8 years ago we had a wasp in the fuel tank.  The tractor would run great for 15-20 minutes then die when the wasp got sucked into the outlet in the tank.  Just like others said, let it run into a fuel can for awhile.  It's an easy check, if not go the route that MACK stated.
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic